Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Helvellyn route advice
  • MrFC
    Free Member

Which is the best way to do Helvellyn?
    Haven't really got time to do the full monty ie. from Mill Bridge to Threlkeld. Need something that will take between 4 and 5 hours. Any suggestions?

grumm
    Free Member

Up and over the Dodds from Dockray, right over the whole ridge/summit, then down Dollywagon/Grisedale is the only way I've done it. Really good fun – the climb isn't too bad and I imagine the climb it wold be fairly dry at the moment.

The descent is about as tough as you can legally get in the Lakes though I think – good fun though, especially the bit from the tarn onwards.

MrFC
    Free Member

Thanks grum that sounds good!

BillyBull
    Free Member

Did that route too. Long day out and final descent could break bits on the bike. Just rock steps all the way. You need to go off the trail to ride down.

grumm
    Free Member

Just rock steps all the way

Only the bit down to the tarn is rock steps, unless they've 'improved' it since I did it. The rest of the way down is lovely gnarly rocky goodness.

Also you can ride the steps, it's just bloody difficult! I managed some of it but I saw others riding pretty much all of it.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The best route for Helvellyn is From Ullswater lake shore up Parkhead to Dockray on the road,turning left towards Dowthwaite head.

Here join the coach road turning left after crossing a ford, here starts the long boggy climb over Brutts moss to Great dodd,Stybarrow dodd,Raise,Keppelcove,Lower man,Helvellyn summit,Decending via,Dollywagon,Grisdale tarn,deepdale,Grisedale valley to Elmhow to the lakeshore.

classic day out best done after a five day dry spell or hard frost,big tyres and fresh brake pads a good idea! 😯

My preffered 4 to 5 hour route would be from the lakeshore to greenside mine,Staying right of the beck to Keppel Cove turning right onto the climeable zig zags to Whiteside bank,Lower man to Helvelyn summit,you have an option of returning the way you came up, or going over Raise to the exellent decent onto Sticks pass, time permitting.

The shorter route on vimeo in winter 🙂

The longer route

safe trip. 😉

moremudplease
    Free Member

think you have to take gavgas,s advice,he knows whAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT!!!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Ta! 😉

cycleactive
    Free Member

conditions on the dodd climb are good right now – all the high feel stuff is pretty dry and rideable. suggestion for you if you are running out of time – swing left at stakes pass and descend to the glenridding mines / youth hostel / village that way. the stakes descent is another cracker, new surface high up is sweepy and fast, then lower it gets really rocky and challenging. if you're really tlight on time you can forget the original route and park in glenridding, go up the zigzaps, over raise then down stakes.
    one final option is something i heard about someone riding but would never suggest myself, especially at the weekend…swirral edge. it's a footpath, so depends how you feel about trespass, rights of way etc.
    chris@cycleactive

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Do it from Thirlmere, park at the bottom of Sticks Pass, do the climb that comes out between Dollywagon Pike and the next one on the way to Helvellyn, up onto Helvellyn, then descend to Raise, Whiteside, left and down Sticks Pass. THis is awesome.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Helvellyn route advice’ is closed to new replies.