Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Heading up to the lakes tomorrow ,grizdale or winlatter ?
  • peasant
    Free Member

Major balls up with holidays off this week not next week ,so off to the inlaws in morecambe ,done gisburn in the spring and loved it ,so were next ? grizdale or winlatter have checked weather looks wet ! and i,m leaving the 30 c in the south !oh well

crispo
    Free Member

If youre happy to add in some bridleway sections too the Grizedale. Closer and can be made into a great full day ride with the extra bits to parkamoor etc.

If you just want to ride the trail centre then Whinlatter is a better ride IMO.

Alternatively there are more great natural routes in the Lakes than you can shake a stick at so could try one of them!?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

awaits flaming replies for not going out doing proper mountains!!

Off piste Grizedale is good, have a look at previous threads for routes.

Whinlatter is great, just be ready for the parking charge and don’t park on the verge outside as it is anti-social, stupid and dangerous (just getting that in there). Make sure you do the blue at Whinlatter too as it’s great.

As for getting to either it’s 50/50 depending on traffic, whinlatter via M6/A66 is less stressful than fighting coaches to Grizedale

grum
    Free Member

What crispo and mikewsmith said. If you don’t fancy getting a map out whinlatter is a much better bet.

Oh yeah, and feel free to piss off back down south if you don’t like our amazing weather. 😛

peasant
    Free Member

😯

grum
    Free Member

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’sunny and bloomin hot this side of the Pennines 8)

As for the Lakes, there are a couple of really easy to navigate routes arround Skiddaw, for the terminaly map reading lazy just ride upto the top and down again, it’s the biggest bridelway decent in England so deserves doing just to tick that box, and it’s epiclly fast. Or if it’s a quiet day the footpath down the north west side is supposed to be good, but it is school hollidays now so probably best judged on the day.

postierich
    Free Member

It is grim up here @ the moment first day of my hols waiting for some bike parts then a trip to the hospital then I wil be hitting a local trail!
    Grizedale would be your best bet if your coming from Morecombe,I would personally park up @ the Ferry on Windermere then ride claife then onto Hawkshead up Church Lane then onto the NorthFace trail and its the best bit all the way to the centre have some over priced coffee and cake then back onto the NF trail which will be a few kms of climbing then look out for the signs for Low Parkamoor then just follow your nose turn left just past the cottage climb up then its straight on all the way to Satterwaite climb up Breasty Haw on your way back to the ferry awesome ride and you are not to far away from help if things go wrong 90% will be offroad and rideable!

grum
    Free Member

postierich’s suggestion is a good one.

peasant
    Free Member

postierich/grum how long is this ride ? how long are the climbs(i don,t mind but will have 14 yr old with me who done gisburn without moaning too much!)will there be loads of walkers to run over ?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Or, head to Wheelbase in Staveley for some local advice. Trails around Kentmere are great. Not hike-a-bike climbing so keep 14-year old happy, yet its “proper” mountain biking out on the fells, rather than in the woods.

grum
    Free Member

Not sure but I would guess around 30k/800-1000m climbing.

TBH Whinlatter might be a better bet for a 14 year old – lots of fun little jumps etc. There’s a nice little singletrack BW down to Thornthwaite you can add on too. Make sure you do the blue if you go there – great fun for a warmup.

Kentmere is great too but it can be a bit slow/boggy/exposed round there if the weather’s bad.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

There’s a nice little singletrack BW down to Thornthwaite you can add on too.

Watch out for the landslide down the bottom 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

head to Wheelbase for some local advice
    They will show you some maps @ £2 a go but that will be about it they seem very roadie orientated.
    Kentmere area trails are not that easy for a 14 yr old and will be boggy in places ie Sadgil side.
    Did not realise you will have a young un in tow The north Face trail will probably be enough!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Heading up to the lakes tomorrow ,grizdale or winlatter ?’ is closed to new replies.