Home Forums Chat Forum Hazard perception test [RANT]

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 209 total)
  • Hazard perception test [RANT]
  • Edric64
    Free Member

Lets face it ,its a simple test that a 17 year old novice is expected to pass its easy the OP is pissed off at failing it and wasting 30 quid

Stoner
    Free Member

Yes, it is a hazard perception test, not a potential hazard perception test

But the introduction video says you have to click every potential hazard, and THEN click when it becomes a developing one. If you havent clicked when it was a potential one, your fist click when it’s a developing one doesnt count, you need to click twice. No?

SamCooke
    Free Member

How can they know? It will, after all, not have developed

Well, they have their definitions of hazard, not my scope, but the test response characteristics seem to bear them out. But until it develops it is not a hazard.

Stoner
    Free Member

its the Schrödinger’s cat of car driving.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Potential hazard or hazard developing?

Cougar

it is very good at predicting safe drivers

How is this measured?

I can’t see how it can be extrapolation. Presumably, everyone obtaining a full licence in the last few years will have passed the hazard test, so there’s no baseline data. So even if we define “unsafe” drivers as those who go on to have accidents, they’ve all still passed the test. Every last one of them.

Are you differentiating between ‘passed well’ and ‘passed barely’? If so then that’s a pretty valuable dataset you’ve got there. If there is a direct correlation between the results of the tests and subsequent driving behaviour then a) perhaps we should be using that in some sort of way that prevents these unsafe drivers from getting licences, and b) the insurance companies are going to be ripping your arm off.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I haven’t done one of these video hazard tests, but I do have colleagues (ones with high driving qualifications) who’ve had a shot and failed for spotting things too early. So I was of the view that it’s a bit shite.

However, what SamCooke says does make a lot of sense, regarding the difference between potential hazards and actual hazards. After all, I don’t adjust my speed and course every time I see a pedestrian walking nicely along the pavement, despite the potential hazard.

And if you read the DVLA’s brief guide to the hazard perception test…

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/TheoryTest/DG_4022534

…it is quite clear that the test requires you to identify developing hazards rather than every potential hazard. It does also add that, while you don’t score any points for spotting and clicking on a potential hazard that is not yet an actual hazard, nor are you penalised for doing so.

It seems that a lack of appreciation of what is expected is sometimes the problem, rather than poor hazard perception. But the information as to what it’s looking for is quite easy to find.

RustySpanner

Look, the test is simple, all you have to do is spot the car:

Oh, hang on…..

Stoner
    Free Member

the intro video simply says click when you identify a potential hazard (say, ped on pavement), it shows an orange ring around ped. Then its says if there’s a development in the hazard, AT THE POINT IN TIME THAT THE TEST DECLARES ITS NOW DEVELOPING the 5 second clock starts for you to click again (and it puts a red dring around the ped). If you conclude that the hazard is developing BEFORE the computer things so, then your click falls outside of the score window because you’re too observant. that’s madness.

SamCooke
    Free Member

perhaps we should be using that in some sort of way that prevents these unsafe drivers from getting licences

We do, but they come on web forums and complain about it

Cougar

How does this help improve my driving? Can I safely ignore undeveloped potential hazards until they’re actually hazardous? That’s what the test rewards, apparently?

Yes, it is a hazard perception test, not a potential hazard perception test

I had to re-read your reply here because it made me boggle, but on reflection I think you may have misunderstood the question. I’m not asking if I can “safely ignore undeveloped potential hazards until they’re actually hazardous” in order to pass the test, I’m asking if I can do it on the road.

Cougar

Touché (-:

donsimon
    Free Member

I think I’m starting to understand it a bit better now. It is all a bit new to me.
    You can click on every potential hazard then click a couple of times on the real hazard as it develops.
    Scored 5 on both. Am I a driving god?

Stoner
    Free Member

ahthangyow.

Is there any research other than the stuff implied in http://www.hsmassociates.eu/hazardperception.pdf regarding ADI drivers/experienced driver pass rates.

because much like Darwin awards cant be won if you’ve already reproduced, “perhaps we should be using that in some sort of way that prevents these unsafe drivers from getting licences” cant apply if I already have a driving licence 😛

SamCooke
    Free Member

“safely ignore undeveloped potential hazards until they’re actually hazardous

no you don’t ignore them, but you treat them differently to developing hazards.

Stoner
    Free Member

Scored 5 on both. Am I a driving god?

as did I, but the real test version has a longer delay before the scoring timer kicks in, so if you’re too fast to identify (correctly I might add) a developing hazard, your click wont count. So the tactic appears to be to thrash the mouse button for a few seconds to adjust your approach to match the limitations of the test.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Look, the test is simple, all you have to do is spot the car:

In truth the only hazard you really need to be wary of is Dave Hazard.

appropriate action is drive away quickly

SamCooke
    Free Member

identify (correctly I might add) a developing hazard

well, this is one of the drawbacks of the test. People had a tendency to be ‘test-smart’ identify which of a range of potential hazards was likely to develop. Not sure of the mechanics of this but it was little to do with the behaviours of the hazards. May be some sort of priming effect which we were unaware of.

donsimon
    Free Member

as did I, but the real test version has a longer delay before the scoring timer kicks in, so if you’re too fast to identify (correctly I might add) a developing hazard, your click wont count. So the tactic appears to be to thrash the mouse button for a few seconds to adjust your approach to match the limitations of the test.

Hence my suggestion of human interaction to discuss the reasons why you did or didn’t click.
    I can see the reasons behind the test being done this way.
    I am a driving god BTW. 😀

SamCooke
    Free Member

Hence my suggestion of human interaction to discuss the reasons why you did or didn’t click.

This would take too long, and would then be more prone to inter-rater-unreliability. The driving part is already subject to this. But as always there is a conflict between validity and reliability. Test designers need to agree on some balance point

donsimon
    Free Member

This would take too long,

How so? Didn’t TJ state that 93% of would be bikers pass the test, so there would only be a small percentage that would need the interaction time.
    Clearly having a simple pass/fail and retake is the cheapest model, but not the most efficient really, is it?

SamCooke
    Free Member

Clearly having a simple pass/fail and retake is the cheapest model, but not the most efficient really, is it?

seems to work well enough. No evidence that explanations would make it any better. Taking TJ’s data, would give us 7% who would need further testing. But the time per person is the inefficiency, and realistically, some of those 7% would still fail, so by instituting a back up system, with all the associated admin, we end up gaining 1%-say 3% of the people on the border line.

Stoner
    Free Member

People had a tendency to be ‘test-smart’ identify which of a range of potential hazards was likely to develop. Not sure of the mechanics of this but it was little to do with the behaviours of the hazards. May be some sort of priming effect which we were unaware of

Its certainly not test priming causing it, but much more likely experience priming. That is surely a place for some more research and it’s suggested in the ADI pass rate data too.

donsimon
    Free Member

seems to work well enough.

That’s got me convinced. 😕

SamCooke
    Free Member

That’s got me convinced.

well, what do you want? all the evidence seems to say that it does OK. Test development can’t be based on opinion.

donsimon
    Free Member

Nothing more, you’ve already said it’s not a perfect system, and that it seems to work and does ok is clearly the way forward.
    Perhaps more people should strive to be ok… 😉

SamCooke
    Free Member

Perhaps more people should strive to be ok..

In terms of assessment systems, this is very true.

CountZero

It might be that the test agency don’t think that a pedestrian turning slightly is particularly hazardous

Like the one who, on hearing my bell, then turned sharply and walked straight in front of me, resulting in both of us on the ground, her with the phone she was yakking on smashed on the ground, me with a badly grazed knee and bruising.

donsimon
    Free Member

Like the one who, on hearing my bell, then turned sharply and walked straight in front of me, resulting in both of us on the ground, her with the phone she was yakking on smashed on the ground, me with a badly grazed knee and bruising.

No comment (too expensive).

SamCooke
    Free Member

It might be that the test agency don’t think that a pedestrian turning slightly is particularly hazardous

Clearly not

Stoner
    Free Member

turning slightly is the first part of turning sharply…

That’s proper hazard perception right there! 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Did anyone score the rant in the OP?

I’d give it a 2/10

donsimon
    Free Member

That’s proper hazard perception right there!

Clearly not

Stoner
    Free Member

I’d give it a 2/10

With my immaculate grammar?
    That’s at least a 1.5/10

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

0.5 for feeling that you were too sharp for the test. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

If sense of superiority is quantifiable, then It’s a 9/10 I think you’ll find.

Cougar

I’m not superior. It’s just that everyone else happens to be inferior.

Stoner
    Free Member

well nyaaa nyaa nya nya nyaaaa.
    Passed now. Gaming it and clicking for England.

Interestingly I had a chat with the nice guy administering the test centre who was a former police driving instructor. He had nothing good to say about the Hazard Perception test, and anecdotally at least, knew of many ADIs/colleagues who’d failed or not not done nearly as well as their experience/training/skills would normally suggest. It’s still a shit test.

Anyway, I can now mow down children with the righteous complacency now…

chewkw
    Free Member

Dammit I failed my driving theory test so will be resitting this Friday … Multiple choice got 38 out of 50 (43 to pass) but passed hazard perception at 59/70 (45 to pass) …

I based my revision on one of the tiny book … arrgghhhh … should have revised using the thick book for multiple choice questions since they were exactly the same … arrghhh h… 😡

scuzz
    Free Member

well nyaaa nyaa nya nya nyaaaa.
    Passed now. Gaming it and clicking for England.

Yes! I don’t have to buy you a drink now! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 209 total)

The topic ‘Hazard perception test [RANT]’ is closed to new replies.