Have we had a Top Gear thread yet?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 259 total)
  • Have we had a Top Gear thread yet?
  • Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

Was better than I expected it to be but then TG and TGT have long been shows I need to record and then be able to fast-forward through to make them watchable

It was all a bit forced and scripted, as is always the case with the show.

Early days, but the trio didn’t appear to have any chemistry at all. Flintoff and McGuinness are just too similar to each other, and even to Harris, in a show where, at its best, much of the amusement came from the interplay between the very different ‘characters’ the presenters are playing.

Holyzeus

Too much play fighting, especially at the end

P-Jay

Did I read somewhere Freddie is a flat-earther?

Premier Icon clubby
    Subscriber

A lot better than I’d feared. Definitely should have shown the Ferrari lap since it’s the fast road car ever to go round.

Premier Icon pondo
    Subscriber

I don’t watch the links or the trips, so not much there for me.

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

Yep, odd there was no footage of the laps.  For me it was more or less an Ethopia special with a car test shoehorned in.  They did mention a guest for next week, so that might help but it all felt like a show that the last 3, would’ve made – perhaps barring the ‘left in’ bits but that’s in the editing rather than the presenters.

Still it was better than the other show last night where a bunch of new hopefuls with questionable talent were trying to replace the last lot who fell out of favour.

Premier Icon rogermoore
    Subscriber

Did I read somewhere Freddie is a flat-earther?

I think it was (humorously) discussed on this Podcast.
    RM.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

Certainly a lot more scope for the laddish behaviour and mickey taking. Those 3 seemed to gel better than the previous lot.

Could have been worse. What happened to the Stig though? Want to see laps.

Won’t suit those that want William Woodard and co, but then they’ve been out of luck for over a decade anyway.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Won’t suit those that want William Woodard and co, but then they’ve been out of luck for over a decade anyway.

Dunno, I remember the episode where Angela Rippon stripped off to her undies and sat on Chris Goffey’s head.

bombjack

TBH that was far better than I expected it to be.
    I dont mind the ladish behaviour, whilst it was a little forced at times (I dont think Freddie will ever be a natural TV presenter!) it was an improvement on the dying days on Clarkson / May etc.
    Needs Steve Berry to make a cameo to complete the Northern trilogy 😉

Premier Icon clubby
    Subscriber

Stig’s lap in the Ferrari now up on the Top Gear You Tube channel. Looks a right handful, but got to admire the way he (she?) is nonchalantly flicking through the gears half way round corners.

hodgynd

I thought it was quite humorous ..and a million % better than the last series already ..
    It’s probably going to come up a little bit short in terms of two of the presenters not being very skilled drivers ..

I kind of enjoyed it. Think Paddy is a natural presenter, and will only get better at the role. But can’t help but think the ‘banter’ (probably manufactured) seemed to verge on the edge of bullying. I found it uncomfortable, and more so that it seemed to stereotype the northern lads (I’m from Bolton btw). What I liked about Clarkson et al is that they took the piss out of each other in equal measure, here though it’s just taking the piss out of Chris….maybe it’s just me

Premier Icon halifaxpete
    Subscriber

Thought it was good, Deffo as good as recent TGT stuff anyway. Liked the ‘northern bants’ between PM and FF. Just hope they dont make Harris the butt of all the jokes as he deserves much more credit than that, the only true motoring journalist and a hell of a driver too!

On a side note that import Mk2 looked a right bargain 😀

Premier Icon Speeder
    Subscriber

Only 1/2 way through as I’m watching with my lad and he had to go to bed but it seems pretty good so far. Ok the banter looks a little forced at times but it is the first of the series and Clarkson, May and Hammond were probably a bit awkward to start with. A lot better than I’d expected and shows hope for the future. It’s not been a car program for a long time, it’s car based entertainment but bringing in CH has given it a bit of that back and that’s to be applauded.

I will miss Matt LeBlanc as I thought he and Chris had a pretty good chemistry by the last series and they were pretty enjoyable together. I won’t, however, miss Rory as he was just painful to watch in front of the camera. I’m not looking forward to the return of Sabine but that’s probably just me.

All considered it’s a thumbs up from me. It certainly could have been worse.

plus one

Works for me 🙂

hodgynd

Speeder..you are not alone regarding Sabine ..I think that the “girl beats boy” England v Germany angle has pretty much run its course ..besides which she is extremely irritating ( notwithstanding the fact that she is a very good driver ) ..but obviously the production team think otherwise ..

PrinceJohn

I caught a bit of it & it looked like a low rent version of Jackass.

dooosuk

Parts of it were alright, other bits had me thinking I was watching a lads show from the 90’s/2000’s.

gobuchul

Enjoyed it.

A lot better than the last lot.

Premier Icon lowey
    Subscriber

Generally finding it entertaining, but anyone else feeling just a little uncomfortable with the “banter” aimed at Chris Harris ? Flintoff especially seems to be crossing a line I thought.

Shame really as I think there is a fair bit of potential for these three.

Premier Icon mos
    Subscriber

Maybe it’s just karma for him getting to do all the interesting stuff with Matt on the previous series’ & Rory Reid pretty much having to do all the wonky segments by himself?

Premier Icon jerseychaz
    Subscriber

For me, last nights “humour” was straight out of an ’80’s playground. A pastiche of TG’s past, no film of the Dallara lap and Flintoff appears to struggle to read an autocue – I’m out.

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

Yes, I very much felt that too, (bullying) and had a separate thread on this closed.

Before it was someone commented that it wasn’t real, only telly, but seeing that behavior on screen being carried out by celebs normalises it, which is very wrong IMHO.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

someone commented that it wasn’t real, only telly

In telly land it’s called ‘factual entertainment’ so it’s supposed to be ‘real’ but then it’s also supposed to be entertaining .

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Yes, I very much felt that too, (bullying) and had a separate thread on this closed.

Because it was already being discussed here.

Loved last night’s even the staged bit with the water melon.

Generally finding it entertaining, but anyone else feeling just a little uncomfortable with the “banter” aimed at Chris Harris ? Flintoff especially seems to be crossing a line I thought.

Absolutely. Spoiled what was a decent episode, I thought. Flintoff is an arsehole, frankly, and isn’t as competent or entertaining as McGuinness. They need to swap him out at the end of the season.

While him rolling over/destroying the hearse was funny, again I reckon there will be plenty of production folk pissed off with him over that. A bit too close to the uncontrolled risk side of things.

Premier Icon bruk
    Subscriber

I’d have to agree. Watched it twice now and don’t really like the humour/northern bants slant on it. I agree re the way Flintoff and Paddy are behaving with regards Chris Harris doesn’t sit right as I watch it with my 8 year old.

At least old top gear there appeared to be an even level of mickey taking between them even if Clarkson was clearly the ‘boss’

Not sure I will continue as don’t really want the boy watching it.

Premier Icon sadmadalan
    Subscriber

I will admit that I felt uncomfortable at times last night. McGuiness and Harris seem fine, but Flintoff is obviously finding it hard and is resorting to “sports club banter with the lad”s. Which is looking very dated and makes him to be an idiot. I do realise that some of it is staged, but perhaps a little more thought should go into the staging.

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

Yep, this isn’t just banter, it’s got a nasty edge to it. add in the chauvinistic way that it’s always 3 blokes (actually 4 because the script clearly denotes the stig as a man*) and sabine is only used whenever there is a ‘adversarial’ character required. Same tired old scripts. very staged, I keep hoping for a good one but I’m pretty much done with it.

*some say he’s….

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Have to admit that the bit with the melon was uncomfortable viewing for me.

If it was scripted, Harris is a great actor for conveying the impression of being genuinely upset but trying to hide it for the cameras.

If it wasn’t scripted, and Harris was upset by it – don’t you think Harris would have dealt with it before it was aired? I can’t imagine they have no say in what is broadcast.

It is getting very close to the knuckle for a pre-watershed show that has a big folling with kids.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

If it was scripted, Harris is a great actor for conveying the impression of being genuinely upset but trying to hide it for the cameras.

Really he just stood with his head looking down it was more Eastenders than Royal Shakespeare.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Clarkson should have thrown a melon, not a punch…

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

add in the chauvinistic way that it’s always 3 blokes (actually 4 because the script clearly denotes the stig as a man*)

Is that not OK sometimes. Loose women – not many male presenters. Woman’s’ hour on R4 – always female presenters. Is a show aimed at men, presented by men sometimes ok too?

nickewen

Aye, Flintoff is coming across as a reet **** arsehole. What was the carry on with him nutting Harris in the episode a week ago? Looked intentional even though they tried to dress it up as an accident..

McGuinness is genuinely funny and a good presenter. Flintoff is just a big daft dickhead, he talked about his “dickhead phase” when driving the Boxster but he doesn’t seem to realise he is still in it.

Harris is great. Genuinely excited and passionate about cars and motorsport. Loved his comments about being “chassis enthusiast”. Hard to watch him get bullied on prime time telly after following him for many years through Evo and then his YouTube channel. His review of the M135i 6 years ago sealed my decision to get one. He’s a proper road tester journo.

Agree about putting the jag on its lid.. very dodgy indeed. They didn’t really show a proper shot of it which is telling..

damascus

I enjoyed it, I enjoyed the banter. I imagine Freddie was like that when he played cricket, he was like that on sky one.

So are we saying the bullying would be OK if Harris could hold his own?

If you let me drive fancy cars, travel the world and paid me you could take all the piss out of me you wanted. But I agree, I think Harris has earned his place now.

nickewen

I don’t think it’s about holding his own with the banter as such, more the physical stuff. He’s a 40 odd year old professional in his field getting picked up and tossed about by a lanky halfwit.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 259 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.