Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Hardtail Choice
  • mrb123
    Free Member

I have been riding road bikes for the last few years and am now looking to add a mountain bike to my collection.

My riding is likely to be trail and XC type terrain, Hamsterley, Kielder, that sort of thing. Probably some long rides but nothing massively technical.

Been doing a bit of research and am erring towards a hardtail in view of my intended use and budget (up to about £1500).

I’m 6’4″ so looking at an XL in whatever bike I choose.

I’m quite keen on the following bikes and would be grateful for any advice to help me choose between them or indeed any others I should be considering.

Orange Clockwork 129s. £1350. 29er. 120mm Revelation, Shimano SLX.

https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/clockwork-129-s/2018

Whyte 905. £1400. Revelation 130mm. 27.5 but 2.8 inch plus tyres. Sram GX, level brakes.

905 v2

Vitus Sentier VRX. Revelation 140mm. XT gears. 27.5 standard width tyres but clearance for bigger. £1350 with BC discount.

Sentier VRX

All are 1x transmission and all have dropper posts which I definitely want.

My instinct is to favour the 29er in view of my height although I’ve had some conflicting advice about whether that should matter. I can see the plus size tyres of the Whyte would be an advantage for a hardtail. The spec of the Vitus looks impressive for the money though.

Any advice gratefully received!

crashrash

Personally with a hardtail I would go 29er – the extra rollover is worthwhile and for the sort of stuff you want to do it will work really well. Plus size tyres sort of make sense until it gets wet IMO – I tried them down here in Devon in mixed conditions and in the puddles/slop they were all over the place! Might be better if you can buy DHR2/DHF but then the extra drag might be a killer.

From the list the clockwork would be top choice! Alternates would be Cotic Solaris or Stanton Sherpa but both will be more money.

boxelder

As a fellow 6’4″er, I’d go 29er. I now have 2 Cotic Solaris (Solarii?) and will follow tradition and recommend what I have. Was looking at the Clockwork 29 today and that looks lovely (had a C16 Clockwork back in the mid 90’s).

Scott Scales are nice and some models are set to take B+ wheels.

Cube Reaction?

I prefer the ride of steel, though there’s a weight penalty.

EDIT – the Orange is good value too, with sensible parts mix, good forks and quality tyres. Even a nice colour.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrb123
    Free Member

Cheers both. Looks like that’s 2 votes for the Orange so far.

I’m thinking it might even be possible to get one for £1200 as Rutland are doing the 27.5 Clockwork for that so somewhere might be willing to price match that.

I have looked at Cubes as my LBS do them but most of the Reaction 29ers seem to have 2x groupsets and I’m quite keen to try a 1x.

I do have a steel road bike which is great but think aluminium will be fine for me for an MTB.

riklegge

+1 for the clockwork. Personally I think you would benefit from the 29 wheels, plus there’s very little difference in performance between slx and xt.

boxelder

If set on 1x, try an oval ring – Absolute Black 32T for me. Direct mount onto SRAM cranks is so easy to swap and if you don’t like it they’ll swap to round.

What about 2017 Clockwork, with £500 to upgrade forks and get a dropper?

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Orange-Clockwork-109-14528-103-0.html

Or a Spec Chisel

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized-Chisel-Expert-1X–Mens-13141-103-0.html

superstu
    Free Member

I have a Whyte 905 and just an inch shorter than you. I love it, it’s the most fun bike (irrespective of being a hardtail) I’ve had – just a joy to ride.

mrb123
    Free Member

That Specialized is a great deal. Possibly a bit more XC orientated than the other bikes I’ve been looking?

Good price for the 2017 Clockwork too but not sure it would be worth the hassle of making the component swaps if I can get a good deal on a 2018 model which should be good to go out of the box.

Stu – it’s hard to find a bad word said about the Whyte. Just a question for me whether a 27.5+ or a 29er will suit me better.

bukobuko
    Free Member

+1 Chisel Expert 👍 how is it cheaper than the comp just buy buy buy

superstu
    Free Member

Fair one – I do like a 29r as well despite the purchase of the Whyte.

FWIW I think there will be a flurry of more aggressive 29rs on the market in the next 12-18 months.

Orange P7 29r looks nice but a bit out of budget. Whatever you get make sure you get enough reach, i’m a concert to a longer frame and couldn’t go back to short reach.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Second the Whyte. I have a 909 and it is the most fun and capable bike I’ve ever owned. The details they’ve sweated over make it a great bike.

matt_outandabout

My Marin Nail Trail 7 also meets similar criteria from me.

1x, dropper, light wideish rims, RS Yari, longish lowish geometry. Last year’s still on silly cheap in XL, leaving you money for tyre upgrade (needed) and possibly better brakes (I’ve the dreaded leaky calipers under warranty at mo).

wl
    Free Member

+1 Clockwork.  It’s an Orange, so it’ll ride well , work in all conditions, and last years too. Decent price for a shrewd spec as well.

mrb123
    Free Member

Matt – I had considered the Marin Nail Trail. I had a Marin when I was a teenager and always thought they were great bikes. I’m not sure about the slightly retro look of the Nail Trail though, and appearances will be a factor when there are several very similar bikes on the market. I also think I’d need an XXl/22″ rather than an XL to give me sufficient reach.

As things stand I’m pretty keen on the Orange but I reckon the Whyte would be a very good bike too.

mrb123
    Free Member

Looks great RocketDog.

Do you have it set up tubeless? If so, were the stock tyres and rims fairly easy to get set up?

Also, what is the tyre clearance like on them?

leonthepro
    Free Member

@mrb123 where have you seen the 905 for £1400 please?

I am really close to pulling thr trigger on one.

scuttler

I love my Clockwork 129 (other bike is a Five so very different – maybe I’m a fanboy). If you’re buying mail order ring around and you might be able to get a further discount or some swag. Can’t comment on the tubeless yet as it’s a perpetual evening job to whip off a tyre and see how ‘ready’ it all is – better to go out riding instead.

mrb123
    Free Member

Here you go Leon. L and XL only so hopefully you’re not a short arse!

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/whyte-905-2018-Q1214085.html?colour=1857

mrb123
    Free Member

Does anyone know, in general terms, what the weight implications usually are of 27.5+ vs 29er when considering the whole set up, ie wheels, tubes and tyres, assuming 2.2-2.3 tyres on the 29er and 2.8s on the plus bike?

I would guess there’s not much in it but I may be wrong!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Weight implications are bugger all, same as the roll over they give you and their lack of nimbleness in tight woodlands. There’s nothing much between them at all, basically if I was buying a HT,  I’d buy a 650b cos thats what my Bronson is, so I could swap wheels n tyres.

That’s about the only way I could pick between the two, and yes, I’ve owned both sizes.

mrb123
    Free Member

Yeah, pretty much a coin toss between the Whyte and the Orange I reckon.

Possibly prefer the look of the Whyte but I reckon the Orange may be available a bit cheaper.

Haven’t tried Sram on an MTB so not sure how the groupsets compare. Probably one of those questions to which there is no right answer.

rOcKeTdOg

Do you have it set up tubeless? If so, were the stock tyres and rims fairly easy to get set up?

Also, what is the tyre clearance like on them?

Tubeless yes, frame up home build so no idea what the stock tyres/rims are. It’ll take 27.5×3 bomboloni in the back though

lucien

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>Premier Iconsuperstu
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

I have a Whyte 905 and just an inch shorter than you. I love it, it’s the most fun bike (irrespective of being a hardtail) I’ve had – just a joy to ride.

<span class=”bbp-reply-post-date”>Posted 2 days ago</span></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Plus one here, same bike and it’s awesome</div>

PrinceJohn

If you’re a roadie – I’d avoid plus tyres as they’ll feel vague when you’re used to tight & direct. No doubt an absolute blast going down but draggy on the flat & up compared to what you’ll be used to.

mrb123
    Free Member

Sounds like the Orange will take 27.5+ wheels in addition to the stock 29ers. Whyte say that the 905 will not take 29er wheels as there isn’t enough clearance.

mrb123
    Free Member

Well I have ordered the Orange 129s now. £1240 from Sunset including them setting it up tubeless for me before sending it out. The extra 10% off this week was too good to miss.

Thanks for all the contributions to the thread.

mrb123
    Free Member

Further update…

The Orange arrived yesterday.

All credit to Sunset Cycles. The bike was very well packed and set up. Once unpacked all that was required was attaching the handlebars and front wheel.

The shop threw in an Orange chainstay protector and also set the bike up tubeless for me for a reasonable fee.

For anyone considering one of these, I was pleased to find the bike came with WTB trail boss and riddler tyres. The listed spec for the bike usually seems to suggest it comes with Vittoria tyres although the pictures always seem to show WTB tyres.

Very pleased with the look of the bike and the size seems spot on. Fitted an RRP Enduroguard straight away – the one with the yellow stripe is a good match for the bike.

Looking forward to maiden voyage this weekend!

matt_outandabout

pics..

mrb123
    Free Member

joebristol

Pictures don’t seem to have worked. Should be a good choice of bike for what you wanted and seems a great price. Nice touch that the shop set them up tubeless for you.

mrb123
    Free Member

2018-08-16_09-14-25

Hopefully this works…

Never managed to get my head round posting pictures on forums!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

looks the biznatch*, happy days 👍🏼

*Prefer the round wheel options on rocketdog’s 129.  But that’s prob me being being realllly picky ;). Had the same problem a few years back via mail order whe. i made the mistake of ordering by phone..

No.  No.  I distinctly said ‘ROVAL’.

But it says oval on the form why would it say it on the form if you claim you said something else?

mrb123
    Free Member

2018-08-18_02-52-34

Out into the wild today…

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail Choice’ is closed to new replies.