Hampshire Riding

Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 1,738 total)
  • Hampshire Riding
  • Time to revive this handy Hampshire thread for 2018!

Anyone able to pass on first hand experience of the road conditions around Beacon, Old Winchester and Butser (Harvesting Lane mainly) in the last day or two?

How about the Meon Valley Trail?

Snow and slush from “Beast of the east reloaded” looks to be gone around Bitterne, albeit we had a frosty start this morning, but things could be still a bit dodgy at 600+ feet.

Would love to take the road bike for a spin up the cat4 hills, but after coming very close to a black ice “big off” on the Old Winchester Hill plateau just after Xmas when the ride had been completely safe until that point on CX tyres, part of me thinks play it safe and go up there on the Wazoo with the 252-stud Gravdals.

Premier Icon mattbee
    Subscriber

Just the other side around Chilgrove, Finchdean etc is ‘ok’ but there’s a fair bit of muck on the roads and plenty of extra potholes.

Premier Icon cobrakai
    Subscriber

Just looking at something different for a night ride tomorrow and saw hen wood near East meon meon. Anybody been there?

I’m racking up miles for SDW in a day training so might take it in as part of a route.

Everything’s drying out nicely round here.

Premier Icon Shan Andy
    Subscriber

Tangentionally related but picked this up on Facebook this morning from the South Central Ambulance Service:

Whilst one of emergency care assistants was responding to 999 calls last night as part of our team helping save lives…

Posted by South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust on Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Speltham Hill in Hambledon https://www.strava.com/segments/3557886

Finally got around to trying it last night, OMG, it’s like riding half on the final steep bit of Harvesting Lane… Absolutely brutal (but fun 😉 ), especially after doing a few power intervals up other hills beforehand! 😮

domtastic

Hi – Recently got a job in basingstoke, and wondering if there’s a half decent off-road route from Chineham to Micheldever that I could follow.

Thanks

willalone

Depends which side of Basingrad you want to go. From Cliddesden there’s a route that takes you south towards Preston Candover and then up and over heading west towards Micheldever.

I know there’s routes the other side of Basingrad as someone I follow on Strava often rides over that way (Oakley/Overton sort of direction)

From Cliddesden there’s a route that takes you south towards Preston Candover and then up and over heading west towards Micheldever.

Yep. That’s where I’d be heading. Nice lanes/tracks around there.

Gravel bike country, IMHO. I often ride through/around Micheldever, and it’s lovely.

Premier Icon El Vino
    Subscriber

Anyone on this thread interested in doing the Evans Ride it event ? https://www.evanscycles.com/evans-cycles-hampshire-mtb-saturday-1st-december-2018-EV322827

I don’t live that locally but work in Basingstoke and am keen to find a few routes for after work in the summer.

jobro

Hi New Forest riders

A group of us are thinking of getting the train to Brockenhurst from Wareham to do the “Grand Slam” gravel/road ride.

https://cycle-newforest.co.uk/cycle-routes/the-grand-slam/

Could you tell me:

Is this route rideable in the winter?

Is there enough/any signage to navigate the route or is a gpx download needed?

Any suggestions for a mid ride cuppa?

Thanks

willalone

In reply to captain flash heart..

Yeah I do it on my gravel bike as its my commute home 🙂

In reply to El Vino

I’ll probably do the Ride It, but I already ride those routes.. 🙂

Premier Icon mattbee
    Subscriber

It’s a nice ride from Wareham to Brockenhurst, as long as the chain ferry is running!

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

Polite request: show us your Autumnal pics of Hampshire to remind me of what the countryside looks like.  Thanks.

Just up the way from Flash Towers on Monday morning.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

Thanks you CFH, very Autumnal indeed!

Premier Icon facian
    Subscriber

It’s all very crunchy at the moment!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PfBdvi]IMG_0827[/url] by James Fabian, on Flickr

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Nice pics!  always an exciting time of year to be riding sunken trails round me – inches deep in beech leaves and beech nuts, or Sweet chestnut leaves and casings.  what’s underneath? sticks? stones? roots? rocks? large, slick logs at an slight angle to the path? Dog eggs?

A few of my regular routes stray into Hampshire.  Here’s a couple from near Grayshott:

Starting to feel properly wintry out there in the past couple days.  Roll on the other kind of crispy!

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

And as summer was particularly special, here’s a couple from near Winchester in August

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

They grow on trees y’know

Jobro- yes that should all be rideable, just a bit puddley and maybe a bit soft in places. Proper gravel riding 😁. I’d definitely recommend a GPS device as the gravel tracks in the enclosures can look very similar and it’s easy to take a wrong turn which generally ends in a bog.

There’s a great cafe at South Gorley – Hockeys – about half way round, plus plenty of options in Lyndhurst. Although I’d be tempted by any of the pubs you’ll pass

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

Also Jobro – as you’re Wareham based- have you tried the Dorset Gravel Dash route? 100 miles so a big day out (or overnight bivvy) or you could cut off the blandford bit to shorten it, but a cracking ride and amazing views!

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

blimmin heck!

c_g, apologies, autumn and winter above are actually Surrey and W Sussex.  Top one is taken from Hampshire, but is Hampshire’s view of Surrey.  2 and 3 are both a stone’s throw from Hampshire border.  I was pretty sure they were both the right side, but no.

No pics today, but a nice bimble around Watership Down World. Lots of folk out and about on bikes, almost all with a  cheery hello.

Nice bimble, but I’ve rarely felt so rubbish on a bike. Just couldn’t get it together for some reason.

Home, shower, little snooze by the fire, a hearty roast and I’m all back to normal again!

Premier Icon wheelie
    Subscriber

On Sunday I did a loop from Whichurch, Crux Easton, Beacon Hill, Ladle Hill. and Watership Down. No long distance views, but quite pleasant. I  was the old git on an orange Soul ! Thanks to the chap that pointed out  a good bit of downhill, which I will do next time.

Whitchurch? Bandit country…!

😉

Some lovely riding around Binley if you’re over that way often.

Premier Icon wheelie
    Subscriber

Yes , Coffee and mincepies at St.Mary Bourne shop, then up through Binley. You are not Spooner’s friend are you Captain?

Don’t think I know anyone called Spooner. Apart from the Reverend, of course!

witterings

@CaptainFlashheart  … and @Facian

Just up the way from Flash Towers on Monday morning.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>It’s all very crunchy at the moment!</span>

Whereabouts are those 2 places … look absolutely lovely  … I did try googling Flash Towers to see if anything came up and couldn’t find anything??

Is there much track like that / how far do go you and is it mainly flat or quite hilly???

If anybody around the Hampshire area has some nice rides they fancy sharing and having some others tag along with them … ideally mainly quietish area’s either quiet lanes or gravel rides and will happily take anyone who fancies coming with us around the Witterings, Bosham, Chichester area we normally do between 20 and 40 miles with a mix of gravel / quiet lanes and fairly flat although for the longer rides do take in some of the hills around the Goodwood area.

I did try googling Flash Towers to see if anything came up and couldn’t find anything??

😂 That pic was taken on the Harrow Way.

witterings

😂 That pic was taken on the Harrow Way.

Cheers for that … just googled it and found a load more pics / map and looks amazing!!!

Looks like some of it may get quite boggy in the middle of winter.

Not that boggy, really. It’s an ancient drove road, and drain very well as a result.

There’s a load of that sort of BW/farm track riding around the area. Nothing gnar,  so ideal gravel or ht territory. Decent pub just off the Harrow Way beyond Laverstoke as well!

witterings

so ideal gravel or ht territory

Sounds perfect … I’m waiting for a phone call to say my 1st ever Gravel bike has been delivered into the LBS … hopefully today if not tomorrow …. so looking for some new places to ride 🙂

Premier Icon facian
    Subscriber

@witterings I’m in Farnham, Surrey so right over on the Surrey/Hants border.

That picture was just taken in Alice Holt Forest which is nice because it’s half a mile from my house and good for an hour or so bombing around, but not worth a trip from further afield!

I’ve only just built up this bike so I haven’t really explored a lot more, but I rode the Shipwrights way in the summer on my hardtail and I’m keen to do that again on it. Likewise the Downs Link from Guildford down to the seaside, I’m sure you could get across to either of those part of the way along or ride them North to South and then make your way back home/somewhere sensible.

I’m also planning a lap of the Isle of Wight, a friend did a road-only lap recently but I’m sure a few bridleways could make that a bit more interesting.

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

The central ‘spine’ of the IoW is very nice – great views on a clear day in all directions.

Premier Icon frogstomp
    Subscriber

Ha, you must be just round the corner from me Cap’n Flash! Not ridden much locally recently but hoping to get out once I get the 650b wheels & tyres on my gravel bike.

Harroway… Nothing gnar

Woah there! You’ve obviously not found the ‘jumps’ on the parallel bit of singletrack.. 😉

Oh, rest assured, I’ve found them!

😎

Don’t often get the big bikes out around here, as my tarmac bike handles almost everything. Jack Mills loop, White Hill, Wayfarers Way etc, or a run through the woods  to the local (rabbit habitat related name…!)

Came off the back of Winchester heading towards Exton and the always muddy bit at the bottom of the hill is now back for winter.

Time to break out the winter tyres…

James

faustus

Being a resident of Newbury I don’t quite feel qualified to contribute to this thread, but I do dip into Hants fairly regularly when riding (bits of Wayfarer’s, and stuff around Ashmansworth, Coombe, etc.). I’m looking to explore the Watership down area when the weather is better. CFH and wheelie – fancy sharing some of your routes? I can see there are lots of options for just throwing together the bits of bridleway and byway, but any tips on which way round some are best ridden, would be useful.

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

Combe Gibbets in Berks, Faustus – we gave it to you for sorting out the hanging that gave it its name!

Newbury is practically in Hants anyway, up by Wash Common.

escrs

QE Country park blue and red were quite muddy on Sunday, they have been pretty good up until Sunday

Still grippy, not pure slop just yet but muddy with puddles

Last section of the blue is still closed off for another week whilst the tabletop jump and new berms bed in

Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 1,738 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.