• This topic has 9 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by XXX.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hammerschmidt
  • G.R.F.-spam
    Free Member

So how is it being generally accepted?

Anyone else on here using it?

I’ve been riding with it on my Covert for just a year now, have used it in a variety of conditions and have to say quite like it.

O.K. you don’t want to climb with it in the high ratio, the annoying ratchet gives you the impression that it’s sucking power which isn’t an issue in the high range since you’re generally going downhill.

Thing I like is the instant transfer under load, no delay like you normally experience with front gear changes, I’ve no idea what ratios I’m running, it came with a spare cog, which, I’ve also no idea wether it’s bigger or smaller than what I’m running.

I’m interested to hear what more knowledgeable folk have found though, if there are any left here amongst the roadies and singletrack spinners.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Fancied trying one but they seem so expensive

messiah
    Free Member

Love it, suits my big bike perfectly. Instant gear change, never loses the chain, huge ground clearance. Weight and cost are the only negatives… worth it I think.

plodtv
    Free Member

I really fancied giving it a whirl, how are they like for maintenance? Has anything failed on you?

DT78
    Free Member

I’ve been tempted to try one out for a long time, price puts me off. The weight doesn’t seem to bad when you think you shouldn’t need a full on chain device – anyone tried one in the alps/uplifts?

I’d love to try a hammerschmidt coupled with a alfine…

jedi

i think they are a great idea and my mate loved it on a norco he tried in the alps

geetee1972
    Free Member

Messiah, how much weight does it actually add?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I can answer my own question. It adds 1.5lbs to a three or two ring set up and over 2.5lbs to a 1×10 set up.

alpin
    Free Member

i’ve not dropped the chain using my SLX double with stinger guide in all the time the stinger has been fitted (8 months).

a normal double with guide rocks in the alps, too….

have tried the hammerschimdt on a colleague’s Prophet. although the gear change is quicker and the ground clearance increased by 1″ or so, i don’t think it justifies the outlay. i’d also be concerned of anything going wrong wih it as it’s a more complicated system than a couple of metal rings sat alongside each other.

i’ll stick to plain old chainrings.

psychle
    Free Member

I’d love to try a hammerschmidt coupled with a alfine…

Was that a veiled reference to this bad boy?

K24 (7 of 7) by ten_sim, on Flickr

If not, then I can say that I have tried this combo and found it a wee bit wanting… sweet gear derailleur-less shifting yes, but pretty heavy and draggy as well, not great fun for trail riding, but maybe OK if you’re only ever heading downhill (but if so, why not just run 1×9?)

I really liked the Hammer in use though, pretty cool to have that instant shifting capability and complete chain security to boot. Wish they’d make it a bit lighter (some carbon wouldn’t go astray there I think?)

XXX
    Free Member

As if by magic one has just gone up for sale on the classified. £220 posted.
    here

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hammerschmidt’ is closed to new replies.