Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Good Omens (possibly spoilers, but not from me).
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Anyone else started watching on Prime? I’ve done the first 3 and am enjoying it so far. There’s one minor irritation for me as a lover of the book but no spoilers…

Drac

Watched episode 1 so far. It does seem pretty good so will continue.

swanny853

I finished it this morning- enjoyed it, I think they’ve done a pretty good job of getting a hard to adapt book onto the screen. Worth it just for Crowley and Aziraphale to be honest. As you say, there are a few changes that irked but I can see where most of the tweaks came from. I love the fact they seem to have left in quite a few of the scenes that don’t really do anything for the plot but are fun, just for the joy of it as far as I can tell.

MSP

It was nearly there, but not quite right IMO. In some ways ruined by how good an actor Michael Sheen is, he absolutely nails Aziraphale, which constantly leads to David Tennant overacting in an attempt to match him, but failing miserably to really bring Crowley to the screeen.

The narration of “god” was also poor and overused device to bring the book to the screen, and the score was rather weak.

I would give it a 6.5/10.

Pyro

I’m planning to but hesitant…

I’m don’t watch much TV (don’t own one and watch very little on the computer, despite us having both Netflix and Amazon Prime accounts). I’ve tried to watch American Gods three times and can’t get past the first episode, because I’m a big fan of the book and the TV version didn’t match what’s in my head. I’m an even bigger fan of Good Omens and very worried that it isn’t going to fit and I’m going to hate it.

Same reason I haven’t seen the Hitchhiker’s Guide film. Probably a really crap reason, but that’s cognitive dissonance for you…

iamtheresurrection

Probably the book I’d pick from my teens as my favourite.

I was really looking forward to it and started watching last night, but I’m really struggling with pretty much every aspect of it. It feels very low rent to me and totally misses the atmosphere and tone of the book.

DickBarton

Hitchhikers one with Freeman in it? If so, don’t…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yup, the danger of a favourite book becoming a film/show. Like French Lieutenant’s Woman. No way was Meryl Streep right as Sarah Woodruffe and then the film within a film thing didn’t work for me and it missed the alternative ending of the book.
    But Good Omens I thought tried well enough, the only trouble is it is not as I imagined it would be. Michael Sheen is excellent overall and I think it is as good a Pratchett treatment as Going Postal (but I’m only halfway though it at the moment.). Its the casting of Anathema that grates most…

neila

Watched the first one and had the overall feeling that David Tennant was doing a poor impression of Bill Nighy.

darthpunk
    Free Member

Watched the first one and had the overall feeling that David Tennant was doing a poor impression of Bill Nighy.

That for me, didn’t last more than 30 minutes and gave up on the first episode. Pretty sure that I’d enjoy it more if I’d read the book and hadn’t been spoiled by the majesty that is Chernobyl…….which just makes everything else look like an old episode of Doctor Who

crazy-legs

I liked episode 1. David Tennant is one of those actors who’s just David Tennant. Bit like Jason Statham is always “the same” character.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I liked episode 1. David Tennant is one of those actors who’s just David Tennant. Bit like Jason Statham is always “the same” character.

Yes, but:

Will never be able to unsee that now 🙂

Michael Sheen I find fascinating as I only know him from John Wick2 and Passengers where he is almost the same character being forced to say the same things but in different situations.
    I’ll have to dig out more of his previous…

CountZero

But Good Omens I thought tried well enough, the only trouble is it is not as I imagined it would be.

But then, that’s always going to be the case! Everyone ‘sees’ the events in whatever book they’re reading in their own way, their mental movie is going to be fundamentally different to that of anyone else who reads it, how they visualise characters, how characters speak, etc, it can’t be otherwise.
    As far as the show’s concerned, I’m waiting for it to pop up on the Beeb.
    And regarding spoilers, I’ve got the book*, I know how the story goes.
    *Signed by Sir Terry and Neil Himself. 😬

euain

It’s not to the liking of everyone it seems..

Petition to get Netflix to remove it: Just perfect…

oikeith

This, I said to the wife its like he’s Bill Nighy’s character from Love Actually! Watched the first episode, didnt grab my desire to watch more of it, but did to the wife. I found it too similiar to Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy movie which was awful and I say that when I havent read the book!

Have instead now watched Chernobyl twice as the first episode got me hooked…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Well Mrs M and I are both enjoying it.

z1ppy

Michael Sheen I find fascinating as I only know him from John Wick2

Wot? are you talking about the right actor?

I enjoyed the first two episodes, a lot more than any other of the attempts at Pratchett work. As for though I hate the political correctness that overhauled Witchfinder Sergeant Shadwell from a grubby chainsmoker to this clean cut look

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nope. Got that wrong. Confused him with Peter Serafinowicz.

timbog160

Just about to finish this and really enjoyed it – had no idea it was previously a book so had no preconceptions.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Good Omens (possibly spoilers, but not from me).’ is closed to new replies.