Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Going 1 x 12 on HG hubs
  • seadog101

Need some advice about going to 1 x 12 on HG standard hubs please!

I have HG hubs on a couple of wheelsets that my bike likes, currently set up with 1 x 10 Sunrace cassettes and using a Sunrace MX mech. Cassettes are grand, but the mech is kind of so-so.

I’d like to go to 1 x 12 without having to go to the extra cost of new freewheels. Which means using the SR 12 speed cassette and either Shimano SLX or Sram GX mech (plus necessary shifter, or course). The lower 50t end of the cassette range is what I want, so a small sprocket of 11t is fine by me.

Can anyone tell me if such a set up is worth the fuss? Or even if it works?

rockandrollmark

I’ve heard you can also go NX 12 with a Sramano setup and it works fine. I was tempted to do the same to get more range (currently running XT 11sp 11-46, whereas NX 12 gives you 11-50), then I saw the weight of the thing. You’d need the extra range to drag the 612g lump up any hill. That’s over a third again the weight again of my current cassette @ 450g.

if you’re happy with the performance of the cassettes and the range you’re getting from them I’d be tempted to just drop some pocket money on some Deore 10sp shifters and mechs.

doomanic

I use a SRAM NX 12sp cassette with an XT mech and SLX shifter and it’s absolutely fine. Good luck finding one in stock though.

seadog101

Good luck finding one in stock though.

Yup, that is the current challenge. That’s why I may go for GX.

Weight is another factor, the NX cassette is a bit of a porker, and I’ve heard negative comments on its durability.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

I have SR 12speed cassette with GX mech and shifter. Works absolutely fine.

Cheers!
    I.

Yak

I have a SR 12s cassette with xt mech and shifter. Works fine.

marksnook
    Free Member

I’m running sunrace 11-51t cassette with a 12 speed xt mech, works like a charm!

simon_g

I’ve put NX 12sp on a couple of bikes, happy with it. They seem a bit fussy about hanger alignment (get/borrow a tool and check it properly) and B tension but fine once set up.

docrobster
    Free Member

My bike came with nx mech and 11-50 cassette on hg hub. No better or worse than other 9,10 or 11 speed single ring set ups, from 11-40 with an expander cog to 11-42 and 11-46 10 speed sun race and 11-46 slx. Just a bit lower gearing which is useful.

mjsmke

NX cassette cut into freehubs quickly as only the top 4 are on a spider. Sunrace make nice 12 speed cassettes. A little heavy but work well. A year on mine and looks almost new.

marksnook
    Free Member

Should add that one of my reasons for the sunrace set up is the the jumps between gears were better, 42-46-51t at the top when sram seemed to be a 42-50t jump. Probably petty but I use the 46t a lot climbing and like having that 51t bail out for when it’s real steep or I’m tired

seadog101

Thanks everyone, good to hear that my cunning plan will work, especially as this was one of the reasons for going to the SR 12s cassette:>>>

Should add that one of my reasons for the sunrace set up is the the jumps between gears were better, 42-46-51t at the top

Just need to work on where on earth to buy it from, some stock with the EU based firms, but wary of the terrifying import duties that seem to crop up from nowhere. DaughterSeadog inadvertantly ordered from a company she thought was based in the UK, £110 worth of clothes and was stung with £67 extra import costs.

chakaping
    Free Member

Personally I’d look at wide range 11sp or even 10sp instead.

Microshift Advent X looks good with a 11-48t cassette in 10sp.

Deore also comes in interesting 10 and 11sp options now.

sheck

Garbaruk do some nice, bling 12s cassettes for old fashioned Shimano freehubs… they’re expensive but very lightweight for an 11-52 setup

doomanic

What’s the part number for the Sunrace 12 speed cassette for HG freehub?

doomanic

@stumpy_m4 have you tried that cassette?

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

doomanic

@stumpy_m4
    have you tried that cassette?

As yet , no I haven’t , but I’ve just ordered a deore group set bundle with that cassette in, worth a go , as have tried other Big cassettes and all being much of a much ness including sunrace etc

fooman

I had been running SRAM GX Eagle cassettes until I got a new wheelset that came with HG freewheel. The cost of an XD freewheel + cassette was getting on for £200 now so I thought I’d try an HG alternative. We’d also been running the above Sunrace HG 11-50 cassettes with no issues ** on a number of bikes but I wanted something a bit more bling for myself! I came across this rainbow cassette from ZTTO (whose dropper levers I’ve been happy with) which at just over 400g was even lighter and had a slightly wider 11-52T range, coming in less than half the price of switching to genuine SRAM and XD.

** apart from they don’t clear the spokes perfectly on some of non boost wheelsets without a little shaving of the spider with a grinder.

Bling bling, I’ve also got a matching chainring!
    Bling bling, I've also got a matching chainring!

I use a standard SRAM GX Eagle derailleur which had no problem reaching the larger 52T cog and generally shifting has been acceptable. The five largest gears are alloy and the rest steel. Initially fitted with a new chain I had problems with the first alloy ring – the chain would jump out under power – I ended up using a Dremel grinder to make the gap between teeth a bit deeper, this combined with a couple of weeks chain wear things settled down.

After a while though it seemed the cassette was coming loose and rattling. This was solved for a while by just tightening things up, but over time this didn’t help. I eventually realised the 11T ring wouldn’t tighten any further on the freewheel, so the rings behind were not held securely. I added the thinnest cassette spacer I had (0.8mm I think) to move the cassette out which solved this one. After about 3 months the cassette still looks pretty good, and still shifting acceptably, a little hesitant in one ring but I’m used to it now, and perhaps my other set ups were never perfect either.

Money being no object I’d probably have gone SRAM and XD as they wear well and reasonably light 450g or so (SRAM HG is over 600g which is a no from me) and while I’m not 100% sold on the quality or longevity of the ZTTO it’s good enough. I’ve already got a black spare from the ZTTO store on AliExpress which came in around £80. While I was on there I also noticed this 11-50T HG cassette which intrigued me as it was one-piece – no loose rings – a similar lightweight 400g and listed as all steel which would be great for longevity. This was about £60 delivered, on arrival though only the largest ring is steel, and the rest alloy. Looks good though it might be a while before I get round to using it!

11-52T in black
    11-52T in black
    Looks good though I went at it with a grinder
    Looks good though I went at it with a grinder
    One peice 11-52T cassette
    Front
    Back
    Wax Sack

Slightly grinded Sunrace spider
    Sunrace

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Going 1 x 12 on HG hubs’ is closed to new replies.