Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • gnarmac Diverge thoughts
  • anagallis_arvensis

Picked up my new 2018 Diverge E5 comp this morning.
    Lovely bike (the carbon comp is lovelier but my offer of a kidney was refused). On road the 20mm travel in the headshock whatsit is great, smooths out the ride a treat, climbs out of the saddle well with little noticeable flex. Strava suggests I was maybe a little slower but it was windy and I was putting the effort in offroad.
    Off road the slick 30mm rubber lacked bite on climbs but was fine. I didnt check pressure but my squeeze test suggested they were hard at over 80psi I’d guess. Dropping the pressure would help. The bb is low so pedal strike is a potential problem but on smoothish trails its a weapon and great fun. My 30ish km road route went up to 45km as I explored. The 48 tooth big ring had me hanging out a bit further down the cassette than nirmal but I didnt run out of gears.
    The 105 brake levers are a bit far from the bars for my little hands.. anyone know if I can adjust this?
    The bar ends would hit the top tube with my stem flipped upright not slammed in the event of a crash so I need to look for softer plugs if such things exist and I’ll maybe helicopter tape the top tube.
    Oh the trp spyre brakes are very uninspiring but will do.
    Overall I really like it and am looking forward to riding it more..

I’d post pics but photobucket is bust…

scotroutes

We got Diverges as our 2017 road bike fleet. They’re lovely to ride. If I didn’t already have my VN Amazon then I’d be buying one of our ex-hire bikes now as we sell them off. The only fault I can find is that the 2017 models were limited to 32mm tyres, and now that’s been fixed!

Never try for a job as a sales rep…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The only fault I can find is that the 2017 models were limited to 32mm tyres, and now that’s been fixed!

Earlier models and the new one are very different bikes, IMO. The earlier ones (Of which I am an owner) were more on the fast road end of gnarmac, mixing in a few fire roads/farm tracks. The newer ones are a little more slanted towards the off road end of the spectrum, and away from the speed.

Mine’s the same weight as the equivalent spec Roubaix, and as fast too (Rider notwithstanding!). The new ones are a lot burlier, so probably not as swift on road, but also probably more versatile.

Horses for courses, innit?

simondbarnes

The 105 brake levers are a bit far from the bars for my little hands.. anyone know if I can adjust this?

Yes, you can. IIRC there is a screw underneath the hoods.

EDIT : Here you go… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Su5IYNHfEg

anagallis_arvensis

Never try for a job as a sales rep…

I wouldnt but wasmt aware I was trying to sell anything just give an honest opinion.

Yes, you can

Cheers, have done it!!

I wouldnt but wasmt aware I was trying to sell anything just give an honest opinion.

Lol – you seem like you’re trying to love it, but find more minuses than pluses

anagallis_arvensis

The nature of the beast is compromises.

rOcKeTdOg

Trp spyres are some of the best cable discs out there if set up & bedded in properly

anagallis_arvensis

Thats good news.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I actually prefer my old shaped diverge smartweld, which was £1100 in January, as others have said I just wish it had wider tyre choices, I managed to bag a spare set of wheels and so will run it 28s on road and 32s off-road bridleway/ canal bimbles, such a nice ride and plan to upgrade to the carbon in the next few years

So the 20mm headshock impressive, I did find that an interesting point

anagallis_arvensis

The shock thing just works tbh. I wanted support my local shop but was dubious but 5 mins down the road trying it out I was converted. 40km yesterday and I stopped noticing it at all.
    Comes with 3 different springs I may swap the medium for the soft one in a month or so and see how that goes!

kilo

They look very nice, I even had a look at one in Evans a while back but they seem a lot of cash for a bike with mechanical discs. Having said that just seen its £2.2k for the Roubaix sport and still cables discs.

anagallis_arvensis

They are certainly specced down compared to some but I guess the shock adds expense

anagallis_arvensis

scotroutes

Nice.

Shame they didn’t have one in your size though.

anagallis_arvensis

Shame they didn’t have one in your size though.

Why do you say that. Fits just right, didnt want to go any longer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Holy saddle angle, Batman! Looks like it may have slipped on your ride. I’d check the angle and clamp tightness if I was you.

They’re supposed to be run with quite a bit of seatpost showing.

However, you really should have put that knife away. Oh, and reflectors. Bin.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Does it get any more STW than a John Lewis washing machine?

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Yes the combo of JL washing machine and stove top espresso

anagallis_arvensis

Holy saddle angle, Batman! Looks like it may have slipped on your ride. I’d check the angle and clamp tightness if I was you.

It did… and the bloke at the shop did it with a torque wrench!!!

anagallis_arvensis

and stove top espresso

Proper espresso machine is just out of sight!!!

anagallis_arvensis

Update…
    Brakes have improved, not really any more pwer than rim brakes but its much more consistent in the wet. Can reach the lever now they are adjusted too, which helps!
    The bike flies down rough road descents its so sure footed. Strava times seem to back this up.
    I tried a big effort on a short 40s uphill sprint thinking it would be a weakness due to the shock and easily equalled my best time.
    All in all it seems to be the equal or better than normal roadbike on road and its fun to take offroad. Just what I wanted.

scotroutes

Why do you say that. Fits just right, didnt want to go any longer.
    [/quote]
    Just remembered this comment.

I was sort of just winding you up – although that headshock does make the front end look a bit unwieldy. If it works though….

anagallis_arvensis

although that headshock does make the front end look a bit unwieldy. If it works though….

It does and I also have dodgy hips that have been under the knife a few times so removing spacers or having the stem slammed is not for me.
    It really does work though, I suppose its about the cost of it in weight and downgraded parts compared to non-bouncy rivals is worth it to the rider.

anagallis_arvensis

Group road ride today. It worked just as well as a “proper” road bike.

scotroutes

Guess what we’re ordering as our 2018 road bikes 8)

I think I’ll grab one when we’re selling them off next October. Typically, it’ll have had 60-70 days use by then so should be nicely bedded in 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Great, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it

wilburt
    Free Member

Intrested but my pick was the base model without headshock as it didnt look like you could get the bars to a road friendly hight with the headshock in place and its also a nice colour.

anagallis_arvensis

You could drop about 3 spacers out of mine and flip the stem

wilburt
    Free Member

Good to know thanks and for the write up.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘gnarmac Diverge thoughts’ is closed to new replies.