Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Glenmore Forest near Aviemore – route recommendations
  • keppoch

Currently staying at Glenmore Forest near Aviemore. Can anyone recommend a good ride for a couple of hours starting from here. Ideally with a gpx and less than 25k.

Did a short loop of the Burma Road today from Aviemore town. Brilliant descent!

scotroutes

Loch Eanaich. Go up the newer, high level track and return on the older, lower track. I don’t have a gpx to hand but it’s pretty obvious from the map.

Edit; just drawn it on Komoot.

https://www.komoot.com/tour/419222364?ref=avs&share_token=aU0IsreXR7jWsvP4wuL4K55YYI8b53S3ZSDhDuWI61CbOpoxGW

sweepy
    Free Member

Second Loch Eanaich, but I’d go up the low track, you miss the view but you get a look at the ‘corner of probable doom’ its easy to get there going a bit fast if you’re not expecting it.

scotroutes

Spoilsport

somafunk

As scotroutes says, out n’ back to Loch Einich is a very nice run, high road out for the views is a necessity.

At start of out n’ back route

Beginning the high road climb approx 1mile from route start above, low road return visible below

Still climbing up high road, low road return below

At top of high road beginning descent to rejoin low road, nice views from here right up to head of Glen Einich.

Your reward at the head of the glen, loch Einich.

Now bomb back down the path, it’s very easy to carry a helluva speed on the way back down so don’t go all heroic, the one corner to watch out for is directly below the high road in the 2nd pic.

karnali
    Free Member

Marked as off there in August

docrobster
    Free Member

We were there last week. Did Burma road and an out and back to the green lochan for a swim. Only afterwards were we told about the leeches! It’s all amazing. Wish I was back there right now…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

green lochan for a swim

**** that.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Spoilsport

+1

Or Head towards nethy bridge, turn left at forest lodge and then visit loch garten and loch mallachie on tracks through the woods.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mbdK9x]98A215C9-18E8-4D0D-9D2B-9383CB93761C[/url] by Aberdeen_lune, on Flickr" alt="Ryvoan" />

Another option is the Ryvoan loop ride up to the green lochan carrying on further up the path taking a left fork at the point in the photo above up past the Ryvoan bothy. Carry straight on to Forest Lodge and down to Nethy Bridge. Some cracking paths through the Abernethy forest then on to Boat of Garten and the route 7 path back to Aviemore. Finish off up the old logging way or round Loch an Eilein back to Glenmore. I have a Strava route if required.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Why’s nobody mentioned the end of the Ghru?

Are we trying to keep it quiet now its all over the Internet?

<sotto voce> South end of the Lairg Gru </SV>
    And if you want to temper the enjoyment with a bit of pain….

Chalamain gap family cycle. Good or bad?

elliptic
    Free Member

Ryvoan loop you can also cut through the Slugain more directly back to Glenmore (or the other way round for a clockwise loop).

Carry straight on to Forest Lodge and down to Nethy Bridge.

Nethy House cafe in the middle of the village does *very* good cake. (Just saying…)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Or go a bit higher.

Up over Meall a buachaille from Glenmore, then out to Bynack more and go as far up that as you fancy. MAB best kept til evening/early though.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Tell us a bit more about MAB ….

West to East?
    Techie downhill?
    Please…

scotroutes

TBH I suggested Eanaich based upon the OPs comments about enjoying the Burma Road.

teenrat

i did the chalamain gap route a few weeks ago. it is tough but awesome.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5356215843

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Got a sneaky suspicion I might be doing the Gap again this weekend… not sure whether to push back or not if they do suggest it.

For info, have any of ya’ll ridden the very steep section afyer the Chalamain Gap and just before the Lairg Gru path?

I did the bottom section last time, but bottled the really steep bit. I know it’s not how one should base these decisions but would like to know if it is feasible for punters, so I know whether I should just MTFU.

< EDITED to try to remove ambiguity>

Stu_N

Depends if he did the route over Burma Road to River Dulnain or up and back to Alvie….

teenrat

i didnt ride the steep bit. Was on a hardtail and really felt like it would have ended very badly!

scotroutes

That very steep bit to the LG is beyond my comfort zone.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tell us a bit more about MAB ….

West to East?
    Techie downhill?
    Please…

I’ve only ever walked it, but I reckon W to E would be best?

I’m up there next week, I’ll bike one of the days, no sure whether to go Sgor Gaoith or Bynack more….

thegeneralist
    Free Member

whether to go Sgor Gaoith

Was looking at McTrailRider’s video of that yesterday and trying to see where the route goes. Looks rather good.

To think that when I did Carn Ban Mor I descended the bloody land rover track to Gel Feshie. What a waste. That was the day Princess Di did indeed. Goodness I’m old.

Going hack to the OP, any more suggestions for good [“family”] routes in the Aviemore/Laggan area?

( I know he didn’t say family, but I’ve been told by the missus to scope out some good XC routes. So I’m going to piggyback his thread since I’m pretty sure his 2 hour route should make a good 5 hour family route )

* edit. Crikey. 24 years ago.

scotroutes

Tame but varied route from Laggan Wolftrax.

Vitrified Fort.
    Option “Brown” descent.
    Waterfall
    Loch
    Beach
    Fallow Deer (a rarity in Scotland)
    Loch
    Cafe

https://www.komoot.com/tour/419682964?share_token=a81kxr3RizsL5pwm04gL28ATHA5tFWWqGwsZJBwaDQgXz6als7&ref=wtd

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Tame but varied route

Will take a look. Do you have any non tame ones? 😉

Not ridiculously long or high, but techie enough to keep the kids happy.

Edit:I think they’ve actually done most of that route when they cycled from the hotel to the beach last year. ( Can’t be sure as that’s the day I pissed off on my own to the inner gorms)

What’s your view on the Ardverilie loop in the VB book? Is the descent worth the push/ ride up?

scotroutes

Some stuff near Carrbridge.

Laps possible and you’ll find other stuff while you’re there.

https://www.komoot.com/tour/419695602?share_token=a7Uoz3HvFefLJbYClm8LLeJSSyO9F3a8PVCJPIq7W3NxU9yitx&ref=wtd

rob13
    Free Member

Are any of these gravel bike able? I’m up there next week for a week and planning on taking trailer to tow youngest so gravel bike it is (the full DH Eeb has to stay at home). There’s some opportunity to get out by myself as well so I’m looking at potential routes around 15-20 miles for that 1-2hr slot.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Chalamain gap perfect for a gravel bike 👍🏻

scotroutes

@rib13 – That Laggan loop would be fine. There’s a fair bit of tarmac on the return along Loch Spey.

The Glenmore / Ryvoan / Nethy / Speyside Way route is also perfect tor a gravel bike.

Loch Eaniach is OK. A bit rough in places and you’ll not carry as much speed on the descent as something with wider tyres but still fun.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Chalamain gap perfect for a gravel bike 👍🏻

And whilst you’re at it, might as well take the trailer too. 😝

Just watch out for the Beatles.

rob13
    Free Member

John & Ringo on a hardtail?

docrobster
    Free Member

Tell us a bit more about MAB

Jeez! We walked up that on Thursday. There’s no way you’d get me pushing a bike up it, certainly not from the bothy side. Steep doesn’t do it justice. Wife who doesn’t like heights had a minor panic attack on the worst bit. Great views though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRUBo4ZBgSX/?utm_medium=copy_link

The captain, formerly of this parish, was up there this morning. Legend that he is.

bri-72

Docrobster it would be some real kind of fool who pushed slash hauled a 50lb ebike up from Ryvoan then (hangs head in shame).

docrobster
    Free Member

😂

sweepy
    Free Member

To be honest, if I had to take a bike through the Chalamain gap I wouldn’t take a gravel bike, I’d take a road bike. Lighter to carry.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

🤣

scotroutes

One does not go through the Gap with a bicycle.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

One does not simply go through the Gap with a bicycle.

I’ve got that firmly fixed in my mind. Even had a look at it on Google maps, and indeed it is there…

Keep telling myself ” up and right at the final clearing, no not left , right”

Shit, did he say right, or left… damn, no Internet connection

snownrock

Well timed thread, heading to Glenmore for a week on 24th. Taking gravel bike, so only plan at the moment was to try the vertical kilometer from centre of Aviemore to the top of Cairngorm (weather allowing) and a ride over the Ryvoan to Nethy Bridge and back.

I like the look of the Eanaich route, thanks scotroutes

kcal

From Glenmore –
    1/ head into Rothiemurcus forest
    2/ follow your nose exploring every little deer track and swoopy singletrack
    3/ after 2 hours, find you’re only 3 miles from Glenmore and bushed – return to base

I couldn’t find half the little tracks again if I tried, but there are many many lovely little trails around Loch Morlich – singletrack heaven. Plenty of broader tracks as well that’ll take you to Loch an Eilean where you can loop round and return.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Glenmore Forest near Aviemore – route recommendations’ is closed to new replies.