Search the forum using the power of Google

• This topic has 547 replies, 81 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by weeksy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 548 total)
  • Giro d’Italia 2023 thread (incl velogames)
  • nbt

Well this one kind of snuck up on me as I’ve been rather busy, but the Giro d’Italia starts tomorrow.
    Inrng have a guid to the Giro

Giro d’Italia Guide

and you can find a guide ot the starter at ProCyclingStats
    https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/giro-d-italia/2023/startlist

TBH it’s hard to see it as anything more than a race for the third podium spot behind Remco Evenepoel and Primoz Roglic – though that may of course change as we’ve already seen multiple last minute changes due to covid withdrawals, let’s hope that there aren’t more.

This time there are three time trial stages totalling over 70km with the opening stage being a TT that might see Fillipo Ganna take the opening maglia rosa, and the closing stage being the the third TT with a tough climb. Let’s hope it’s as exciting as the LAST time the giro finished with a TT!

I’ve set up a minileague on velogames which we can use for all three grand tours, so get over there and start picking your team

https://www.velogames.com/

League Name: STW Grand Tours League 2023
    League Code: 727626827

I’ve got a team together, but I will be be making changes later….

crazy-legs

Ooh nice one @nbt! 🙂
    I’m away this weekend so I’ll miss the opening stages.

Official Giro website is here:
    https://www.giroditalia.it/en/the-route/

There were some pictures on a Twitter thread the other day showing some of the passes still under a lot of snow.

nbt

I’ve already updated my velogames team twice

BruceWee

I’m going to be at the Bergamo stage 🙂

Kryton57

Completely by accident we are in Rome for a (senior) lads weekend at the finish. I’m the only cyclist so my mates are groaning about the city centre being full of “cyclists” but no doubt I’ll be able to watch a couple of laps with beers.

Nice!

matt_bl
    Free Member

crazy-legs
    Ooh nice one @nbt! 🙂
    I’m away this weekend so I’ll miss the opening stages.

Official Giro website is here:
    https://www.giroditalia.it/en/the-route/

There were some pictures on a Twitter thread the other day showing some of the passes still under a lot of snow.

This is how you tell what time of year it is.

Images of passes with snow, Giro coming up

Cyclists in sunflower fields, time for the tour

No need for calendars or that fancy rubbish

stevious

Here’s what I wrote on the thread I started at the same time as this:

Of course, inrng has a really detailed course/contender preview here: https://inrng.com/2023/05/giro-italia-2023-contenders/ or you can listen to one of 10 billion giro preview podcasts.

Of course, the headliners are Roglič and Evenepoel who are both looking in *quite* good form. If they both say upright and well for the whole race it should be a good battle. The second-string of riders should provide some good racing as well. Ineos have 9 leaders, UAE have Vine and dropped-not-dropped Almeida, Bahrain and EF have dome some good racing and Thibaut Pinot will be there with his emotional baggage.

Was just pondering to myself about how the Giro winner is often not the favourite, or if a fave wins it’s on the back of some significant jeopardy along the way. So lets hope for a Carapaz-style sneak-attack winner or a Froome-style win from the back of the pack. Maybe not a Dumoulin-style drama though.

Kryton57

Right, time of the year when I need to adjust my work schedule to account for background Grand Tour TV….

anagallis_arvensis

Have, as usual,picked a team based on my hopes and dreams rather than my expectations!!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

here for stages 7,13,16,19 and the utterly ridiculous ITT on stage 20

we all know the drama happens on the random flat sprint days though

crazy-legs

So lets hope for a Carapaz-style sneak-attack winner or a Froome-style win from the back of the pack.

I’m really hopeful that Tao will put in a top performance. He won in the (very Covid disrupted) 2020 Giro going from 126th to 1st with the stage only really won on the final day. There were also situations within Ineos like Thomas crashing out and Carapaz being shifted to the Tour which sort of opened the door for him but he won Tour of the Alps the other week and is obviously on good form.

Fingers crossed for him.

stevious

Tao is exactly who I had in mind when I thought of a sneaky winner. He’s been good this year but not as eye catching as the two favourites. Ineos have a really good team this year as well.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Tao? no chance, zero, be nowhere near remco/roglic in the TT’s, 2020 Tao was 58s down on Ganna in the final TT over 15.7km, stage 1 is 19.6km and stage 9 is 35km, so he’s going to lose upwards of 3 minutes between them, and Jumbo & Quikstep aren’t just going to let him ride away on stages

IdleJon

and the closing stage being the the third TT with a tough climb.

Understatement of the year! 😀

It’s a 19km ITT, with an 8km final climb gaining 900m, taken after 3 weeks of terrain mainly described as hilly/mountainous and followed by a 700km transfer to the final stage in Rome. I’ll bet the domestiques are so looking forward to that. I am! 😀

nbt

Jumbo visma not having a good start, they’ve swapped two ridersd due to covid already now Jan Tratnik is injured. I know I had him in my team at one point but I’ve made so many changes I’ll have to go and check if that’s still the case…

nbt

Evening bump for this, entries must be submitted to velogames by 12.45 UK time, though as long as your team is in by that time you can join the STW mini league at any point. Have a beverage and a read of the articles above and get your teams entered

I’m currently on version 8 of my team, I think. I keep having second thoughts and changing…

Bunnyhop

Team ‘No Gnocchi’ is in.

nbt

Jan Tratnik is not riding, has been replaced by Tom Gloag

nickc

the utterly ridiculous ITT on stage 20

I thought it’s not happening now on that road, as they “only just” realised that it’s too narrow to get cars up it.

fazzini

Awesome stuff @nbt. Thanks for setting this up. Bloody annoyed I’m in the office for the next 2 weeks so will have to rely on highlights

nbt

25 minutes or so left for last minute changes

anagallis_arvensis

I like Orla’s socks!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

😂 Jesus

hightensionline

Jesus

That’s one way to describe Remco! 😱

crazy-legs

Tao? no chance, zero, be nowhere near remco/roglic in the TT’s,

How’s that prediction panning out for you…?

😉

Go Tao!!

cogglepin

No highlights on ITV 4 this year then? Shame I was looking forward to it!

fruitbat

No highlights on ITV 4 this year then? Shame I was looking forward to it!

It’s on DMAX at 19:00

DrJ

I like Orla’s socks

In their own way Orla’s legs are as impressive as Remco’s

hightensionline

It’s on DMAX at 19:00

DMAX is Discovery, so it’s the Eurosport coverage, but often in super low resolution, weirdly. I like switching to ITV for a little bit of calm for a change!

Looks like ITV won’t be covering the Vuelta, unless it’s announced later in the season:

https://www.itv.com/itvcycling/articles/2023-cycling-on-itv4

dirtyrider
    Free Member

fine, ganna underperformed, i assumed he might beat remco by around 10 seconds, roglic not at the races, and remco still ahead of Tao by 40 seconds, will still ship more time on stage 9

stevious

One of my favourite things about cycling is that it can look at a generational talent like Remco, see his impeccable position on a bike, his beautiful pedalling style, his efficiency and say: Here you go, here’s a fruit bowl and a snood to wear, lad.

lister

There’s a highlights hour on S4C as well. You might not speak Welsh but there’s always the universal language of the road!

dovebiker

One of my favourite things about cycling is that it can look at a generational talent like Remco, see his impeccable position on a bike, his beautiful pedalling style, his efficiency and say: Here you go, here’s a fruit bowl and a snood to wear, lad.

🤣🤣🤣👏👏👏

daviek

In their own way Orla’s legs are as impressive as Remco’s

She had to try really hard not to give us a Basic Instinct moment today.

slowoldman

Here you go, here’s a fruit bowl and a snood to wear, lad.

Should be banned as an affront to elegance.

stevious

Looks like a sprinty day today.

Giro d’Italia Stage 2 Preview

I think a win from cav is unlikely as he’s got no leadout, but it will be interesting to see how he fares.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

we all know the drama happens on the random flat sprint days though

quite

anyone hazard a guess why Ineos didn’t get Ganna to pace Tao back? shipped 19 seconds?

good win by Kittel Milan

fazzini

I know this is the Giro thread, and I couldn’t find a women’s Vuelta thread, but blimey, what a finish to that race on a foggy summit!! AVV’s 99th victory at 40 years old!

stevious

@fazzini I was just coming on here to say just that. That was an incredible bike race – I was rooting for Vollering all the way up. I think she’s the moral victor here cos she didn’t have to attack AVV while she was pissing to make time.

slowoldman

Yes the Vuelta was brilliant.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 548 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Support Independent Mountain Bike Journalism

Like what you are reading?

Bookmark us now and come back again.

Try out Singletrack membership today from only 49p per week

(49p is the weekly equivalent price of the £25 annual digital membership)

Support Independent Mountain Bike Journalism

Singletrack World is a largely reader funded community with over 6,000 members trusting us for their mountain bike news, reviews, adventures, advice and big views.  

Try out Singletrack membership today from only 49p per week

(49p is the weekly equivalent price of the £25 annual digital membership)