• This topic has 18 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Giant trance 2 2017
  • joegamblen
    Free Member

Hi looking at buying a giant trance 2 2017 for £2300 is there anyone that has one and can tell me if there worth the money is there anything else out there that’s similar to this bike I have a budget of 2500

scc999

Other half has a 2015 Trance, no complaints at all. Pedals well, fun to ride, great on the downs.

For similar (or less) money have a look at:
    Bird Aeris 145? https://www.bird.bike/new-aeris-145-pre-order/

Airdrop Edit? https://www.airdropbikes.com/collections/airdrop-edit

Whyte T130?

I’ve got a Mk1 Bird and love it – the guys are great to deal with and you can customise extensively (I’ve heard the same about Airdrop too btw).

HTH

Si

jonnyboi

2016 giant trance models are very similar and a lot less money!

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p0/Mountain-Bikes/Full-Suspension-27-5

iainc

Some clever stuff on the 17 Giants, new shocks and linkages etc. I got an Anthem a few weeks ago and can’t fault it. The droppers can be problematic, but warranty is excellent.

ogden
    Free Member

I have a 2015 trance sx and think if I was buying a bike right now I’d be looking at the Bird or airdrop

joegamblen
    Free Member

Thank you for your comments really like the look of the Airdrop bikes as well

deviant
    Free Member

The new ones are metric shocks, trunnion mounts on said shocks and boost spacing…pretty much future proofed for now.

I have a 2015 SX and love it.

hrgb
    Free Member

I had a 2015 trance advanced for a year or so and it was a good bike… went downhill quicker than it should BUT I could never get the rear suspension set up well… it felt too mushy and linear and did’nt climb as efficiciently as i’d have liked – down to the rear linkage.

The 2017 have revised linkages etc and are supposed to be better.
    They are a light bike too.

joegamblen
    Free Member

Definitely swaying towards the giant but do like the Airdrop was thinking of canyon but heard mixed reviews about there frames and customer service I love the spec you can get with the bird Aires 145 but not sure I like the look of it but thanks again for your comments best way to decide is actually ride one I suppose

hrgb
    Free Member

I test rode a bird aeris 120 recently and it was great!

I have just taken a delivery of a Cannondale Habit carbon 1 – over your budget but have a look on triton cycles website at other habit versions?

My trance and the habit are very similar geomrety apart from a degree different headangle 1 degree slacker on the trance

deviant
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get a Canyon based purely on the negligible reliability of the Shapeshifter concept….sounds great but most end up as warranty refunds.

Ditto the new Cane Creek coil inline, I’d love to try one on my bike but previous horror stories of the brand have put me right off.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get a Canyon based purely on the negligible reliability of the Shapeshifter concept

I thought the Spectral was the nearest equivalent to the Trance, and it didn’t use the Shapeshifter (that’s on the Strive)?

The 2016 Spectrals are killer value in the saleoutlet, but I’d still be put off by the continued issues with Canyon as a business rather than the bikes themselves. The Spectral 8EX has the CCDBinline, Pike RCT3, X01, reverb stealth etc for £2100

Possibly a bit ‘bigger’ but the 2016 FSRs are heavily reduced at Rutland (ad at top of this page most likely) in 27.5 or 29 flavour

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/309820/products/2016-specialized-stumpjumper-fsr-elite-29-mountain-bike—green-grey.aspx

joegamblen
    Free Member

Yeah I was so close on pulling the trigger on a spectral but was put off by there customer service I am warming to bird Aires but they just look so long

deviant
    Free Member

If I was buying again I’d go with a Bird, great customer service, easy demo rides and a high level of customization.

joegamblen
    Free Member

Just been looking at the whyte t130 s was looking for a bit more travel but it’s been given very good reviews and is very capable

joegamblen
    Free Member

So what’s everyone’s take on the whyte 130 really like the look and has great reviews

phunkmaster
    Free Member

2015 Trance 1. Excellent bike. Have ridden it for most things: natural, trail centre, raced, mess about at jumps, bigger days out. Never felt under biked (but would take a bigger bike if going somewhere like Stiniog just because I don’t want to smash it down downhill type trails) and have never felt over biked.

Good warranty on frame. Decent spec. I believe the newer ones are even better.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

The paint is RUBBISH on the new Trances from what I’ve seen. big chips and flakes after a couple of rides. Guess if you ok with invisi-taping the important bits then it’s livable.

Great bikes otherwise.

iainc

joegamblen – Member
    So what’s everyone’s take on the whyte 130 really like the look and has great reviews

Great bikes and I was between a T130RS and the Anthem 1. I went for the Giant as it isn’t quite as long and low as the Whyte (my other bike is a Soul and I was coming from a 2015 Anthem SX). Giant a bit lighter and for me a better deal with a club discount at LBS.

Test rides really required though, however I found them both great to ride.

Paint on my 17 Anthem is good and appears tough.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Giant trance 2 2017’ is closed to new replies.