Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Gazeboists. Gazebo me up good!
  • kayak23

My gazebo broke. Had it for years and was given to me not bought.

Tried to keep it going by welding the spars but it’s just had it really… 😓

After working yesterday in the unrelenting sun, I’m after a new pop-up gazebo for working under with power tools and the occasional soiree ‘n’ shit. Last one was 3x3m so same again I reckon.

Budget is up to about £120, got to be strong like ox and got to be put-uppable by one person.

Mostly I’ve been looking at MX race tents as they seem to be better value than the ones aimed at the hot tub market.

This one from 24mx looks good, but has quite in your face branding. Weirdly, over a few days the price of it has fluctuated (unless I’m imagining it) and gone from £60 to £75 for a pop-up without walls. A bit like Planet X 😂

https://www.24mx.co.uk/racetent

Another one I’ve seen is the Maximus one from Amazon, which as close as I can tell from the pictures actually looks like a very similar construction to the 24mx one. They’re the same weight too so perhaps it’s the same tent.

My wallet is saying 24mx but my head the Amazon one mainly because it has subtle branding and the reviews are good and mention quality of construction a fair bit.

But anyway, maybe STW has some gazebo expertise?

Any good ones out there that are strong and good for one person to put up?

👊

sadexpunk

our work has pop up gazebos (bit like the pic above with 4 people), but i think youd struggle to do it on your own, purely because each person takes a corner and walks out with it.
    unless theres a sneaky technique which we havent sussed out yet (quite possible) 😀

if it was for one person only, id guess youd be better with one where you keep going round ‘adding a pole’ or pushing a corner up, bit by bit.

benpinnick

One of these – https://rockawnings.co.uk/gazebos/explorer-series-pop-up-gazebos ?

Probably the same as you might find on Amazon etc. except you buy it from a real gazebo company that can supply you parts etc. and answers the phone. I’ve dealt with them for years and they’ve not let me down yet. Slightly over budget but hey you can’t have everything right 😉

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I use Gala Tents. Probably more than your budget without looking but I use the Ali 40mm one weekly for work and it’s rock solid.

kayak23

i think youd struggle to do it on your own, purely because each person takes a corner and walks out with it.

To be fair that’s how they all generally work and of course are much easier with 4 people. It can be done alone though but some are easier than others.

Thanks Ben and Saddles. I think I’ve looked at both of those before and will look closer.

I often think that the more expensive ones are most likely just the exact same made in China ones that you see elsewhere for cheaper but just branded. Hence why I was looking at the cheaper ones too. Could be wrong though.

That Rock awnings one does come with a ‘free’ wheeled bag mind you which could be handy.

weeksy

Rockawnings here too.

blokeuptheroad

Coleman event shelter. Brilliant bit of kit. Much more sturdy and substantial than most gazebos. We’ve had ours for years, it’s had loads of use and is as good as new. You can get different sizes, 12 x 12 ft, and 15 x 15 ft and accessories such as sides and doors. They are are also modular, so if you buy another later you can join them together. Highly recommended.

kayak23

Looked at those Coleman, but wondered that due to the shape of them, you may have less working room up to the edges as such? They slope down more gradually.

The box gazebos, you obviously can go right up against walls etc and in tighter areas (by the looks)

They do look good though. Can you put them up alone ok?

Also, do they need guy lines? I can be working on tarmac or concrete a fair bit.

Nick

We have an old gazebo like the one at the top, its easy to put up on your own, you just walk around pulling each corner out a bit at a time, takes 5 minutes, at most.

kayak23

Actually, already put off the Coleman to be honest. Looks great for camping, but when working, there’s enough stuff to unpack already without having poles and feet and fly sheets loose etc..

The easy-ups are great in that respect as it’s just literally expand and go, with everything together.

blokeuptheroad

Fair enough, they are a bit more work to put up than a fold out gazebo but easily doable by yourself. Not ideal for concrete as although it would sit there quite happily in no wind, you really need to peg the feet down in any kind of breeze. You can get away without using the guy ropes most of the time unless the wind does really pick up. Having used a few of the square gazebos I just find the Coleman to have a more quality feel and be more robust. I can see how it’s not ideal for your purpose though.

weeksy

They do look good though. Can you put them up alone ok?

Also, do they need guy lines? I can be working on tarmac or concrete a fair bit.

Yes but will take a bit of walking round it doing corner, corner, etc to go up a bit. But you can manage it yes.

Lines, only if very very windy. You can buy a weight kit for them too.

Harry_the_Spider

Our Cub pack use 15×15 Event Shelters as covered dining areas on camp. Fantastic bits of kit.

FB-ATB

Our Cub pack use 15×15 Event Shelters

I think Kayak may be a bit taller than your average 8-10 year old. Our scout group got some for last years camp, and they were ok for just sitting under, but not ideal for an adult to be working. The fact you have to duck down to enter will be a PITA if you’re in and out working all day.

As Kayak identified, there are 4 side poles and the cross member to assemble- fine for a group but not a solo worker.

I presume the Op’s photo for the MX one is just an advertising promo? Don’t see the point of a gazebo if you’re standing under it and still in direct sun.

brads
    Free Member

I have the 24MX one with all sides and to be honest it’s a bargain for what you pay for it.
    The frame in particular is pretty good and does not feel cheap.

FB-ATB

Maybe get the MX one, if you don’t want the branding, get a cover made up with your own logo?

maccruiskeen

I’ve bought ones from https://surfturf.co.uk before. A bit more expensive than the cheapest you can commonly buy. But.. they keep stocks of spares. The problem with cheap gazebos is the whole thing is redundant if you can’t source one cheap bit

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

The 24mx is great! Easy to put up, strong but heavy not necessarily a bad thing on a windy day.

Buy one and you won’t regret it

kayak23

Thanks for all the comments.

I think Kayak may be a bit taller than your average 8-10 year old.

Not by much sadly! 😂

The 24mx is great! Easy to put up, strong but heavy not necessarily a bad thing on a windy day.

Cool. Sounds good. The only thing holding me back is the price keeps rising when I look back every few days.

I swear about a week ago it was £60 without walls. Then it was £69 and now it’s £74.

Can’t bring myself to buy it if it goes down by a tenner next week! 😂

neilnevill
    Free Member

That always happens with gazebos and other seasonal stuff. A prolonged hot spell as now, they get bought and price goes up as stock levels fall. I got one of the super sport cheap flimsy ones about 3 years ago as I want sure if it would get much use and was only about £20. Used it loads last year in the got spell and it inevitably died as I forgot to drop the legs off it one night and the wind picked up the next day trashing it. Can’t recall the exact price of a replacement but think it was about 3 times original cost as it was by then the middle of a heat wave. So basically…. The mx24 one seems a bargain. Might grab one myself. Although a 2.5m porasol is only £34 on Wayfair so I’m toying with 2 of those…. Surely I won’t forget to at least drop them down!?

Bolt

Rock awning here too

Great to deal with as well.

Bolt

mos

Surfturf here.
    Our lads use them on site every week & we manage to get a couple of years out of the usually.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

The only problem with the 24mx is they will sting you on postage.

You’re right about the price, try looking at it in incognito mode or signing up for their mailing list as they have sales ALL the time.

Harry_the_Spider

I think Kayak may be a bit taller than your average 8-10 year old. Our scout group got some for last years camp, and they were ok for just sitting under, but not ideal for an adult to be working. The fact you have to duck down to enter will be a PITA if you’re in and out working all day.

Can’t say that we noticed a problem.

https://www.coleman.eu/uk/p-23473-event-shelter-xl-45-x-45-m.aspx

neilnevill
    Free Member

https://www.24mx.co.uk/motocross-accessories/motocross-accessories_c405/race-tents_c410/honda-race-easy-up-tent-3x3m-no-walls_pid-PIA-25870?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=lowerfunnel&gclid=CO2B6ba54ekCFdYdGwoduOEAhA&gclsrc=ds

honda branded one now at £59.99 it looks the same as the mx24, except its heavier at 33Kg. the so called RRP is also more. finger is hovering over ‘buy’….

twistedpencil

Surf and turf ones are far sturdier. Though the 24mx type ones are easier to handle on your own. Putting up a gazebo on your own is one of those tasks you get used to running a bmx club 🙂

sirromj

We’ve got a Rock Awnings Explorer too. It’s adequate, can be a bit hairy in strong winds & rain, but far superior to the skinny Aldi gazebo it replaced. When I looked, the Explorer looked the best value/sturdiness combination available. Getting anything sturdier meant quite a large price jump.

Don’t get too excited about the wheeled carrier. The handle of ours is on the same plane as the wheels (ie the bottom when layed lengthways) consequently as you’re hauling it along it repeatedly tips over. It’s just easier to carry on shoulders or hug it upright.

kayak23

it looks the same as the mx24, except its heavier at 33Kg.

😳 Getting a bit portly there. Maybe a typo at around 10kg heavier.

I’ve ordered the 24mx one for the record. We’ll see how it is. 👍

ThePinkster

Nothing to add about gazebos but regarding

The only thing holding me back is the price keeps rising when I look back every few days.

Try clearing your cookies down before checking back for a price. Some sales sites used to track visits and up the price big you keep looking the same thing s few times. I assume this is still a thing.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Gazeboists. Gazebo me up good!’ is closed to new replies.