Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Gawton / Woodlands tracks
  • bluebird
    Free Member

We will be in that neck of the woods next week and we're thinking of checking it out. Not sure if I should take my big bike (VP Free) or my all rounder (Intense 6.6), my wife only has an Orange 5.

What are the tracks like? She's pretty competent on a bike and has ridden single track and blue DH tracks in the alps, is it enjoyable for intermediate riders or do you need to be a certified nutter? Are there obvious chicken runs. What's the push up like, etc.

Any info/advice from people who have been appreciated. Thanks.

neilforrow

push up is not too bad… 20min ish. but I would book the uplift.

there are 3 tracks. from xc trail centre type to full on with gaps and steep switchbacks. Plenty for all types of rider and they all finish at the same place. The guys there have done a superb job having put together 3 really different tracks… with a bit of everything to test the rider… proper alpine style switchbacks, off camber roots, rock gardens. Tis a great place to ride.

take the big bike and book the uplift, but there is plenty for the wife as well. You could go over the road to the other site too. but there is more than enough at Gawton itself.

bluebird
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, sadly the uplift isn't running at the moment as the road they use is in a bit of a mess.

MrAgreeable

The HSD track is great fun, like a Welsh trail centre descent on steroids. I found the harder two were a bit over my head, they are very steep and techier than a lot of UK DH courses.

jam-bo

Gawton:

HSD(red) – machine built, fun, flowing, nothing technical, downhill BMX track. ~3mins long
    Egypt(black) – hand built, steep, rooty, rocky, very tight and techy. gets even harder in the wet. some chicken runs but they are pretty hard too.
    Super-Tavy(double black) – machine built, very steep in places but once your used to the steepness isnt as technically hard as Egypt. again, chicken runs around the biggest stuff but they are still hard.

Woodlands – ace fun, ~8 different full DH runs, several extra combinations of tracks. Easy push up or spin back up the fireroad in about ten minutes.

as for the bike, I'll happily ride any track at woodlands on my five and HSD. not sure i'd like to take it down egypt or supertavy but rowan sorrel looked pretty rapid down them on his five.

for either site you'll need to become a member of woodland riders or get a day pass from dartmoor cycles.

bluebird
    Free Member

Great, thanks all for the info.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Gawton / Woodlands tracks’ is closed to new replies.