Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Garmin Map Experts – help
  • yoshimi

Just got a new Edge Explore 2 – pretty sure it’ll do for my needs (understand its the same user interface as the new 1040)

I have searched but unless I’m being daft, I’m struggling for an answer to my query.

It came with the standard Garmin stuff pre-loaded which then updated when I connected to Garmin Express. So the ones such as Basemap, Western Europe and some others that I don’t really understand ‘DM’??

I have also downloaded a map recommended by DC Rainmaker and installed it on the Edge no problem.

I see in each profile that I can enable or disable maps……
    So, if I have all of them enabled how does iot decide which one to display? Or should I disable all the Garmin ones if I just want to use the DC Rainmakers one? Or, do I also need any of the other Garmin things enabled.

Be kind – I know theres probably a simple obvious answer.

Also, any thoughts on selecting relief shading / drawing contours etc

Thanks

AngusWells

I have the same – the Garmin maps that were pre-loaded and an open street map version. I leave all of them enabled and it just works although, to be honest, there doesn’t appear to be much difference between the Garmin Maps and the Open Street Map version, certainly here in the UK.

Probably the best thing is to experiment with turning the Garmin base maps off and riding locally to see if you get any differences. No need to enable anything different to the factory set up.

I previously had a Garmin 810 with Ordnance Survey 1;50k on it and I miss that.

leffeboy

I think that Garmin now uses OpenStreetMap data.  The main difference between them is how they are styled for visibility or any tweaking they have done to help routing.  I like to leave a Garmin one enabled as the search seems better on it

StirlingCrispin

Garmin use Openstreet map for their base mapping but when I bought my Edge (a few years ago) the mapping was already a few years out of date (you can tell around Stirling because of the forestry and windfarm tracks which make important gateway routes).

So – I bought a Talkytoaster (TT) map and used that.
    Updated every month and with more OS styling. I like it.

I disabled the Garmin maps and enabled the TT map. Everything seems to work OK.

I have discovered that I need to sync a route from my phone within reach of the internet. Bizarrely attempting to do this in the arse-end of nowhere (Balquhidder) did not work.

winerwalker

Another plug for Talkytoaster. Far more detailed, with elevation data, contours, routable, for Basecamp or not (your choice), just about everywhere worldwide. https://talkytoaster.me.uk/ 

yoshimi

Thanks guys – going to have a look at the TalkyToaster Maps

I’m still not 100 sure on how the mapping works – the following are the standard ‘maps’ I can see on the device. Are all of these actuial maps or do they all work together to form 1 map?

So if I have all of these enabled along with the TalkyToaster map, how does the device know which one to display?

INTL Standard Basenmap NR
    Garmin DEM Map EU 2020.10
    Garmin Geocode Map EU 20210.10
    Garmin Cycle Map EU 20221.20 West

I think that Garmin now uses OpenStreetMap data. The main difference between them is how they are styled for visibility or any tweaking they have done to help routing. I like to leave a Garmin one enabled as the search seems better on it

Erm…I think I’m just being thick but struggling to understand how that works

Probably the best thing is to experiment with turning the Garmin base maps off and riding locally to see if you get any differences. No need to enable anything different to the factory set up.

Probably the best advice 🙂

scotroutes

The DEM map is the Digital Elevation Model – the “map” that provides altitude data. The Geocode map is for searching Postcode/Zipcode. These are used in conjunction with the Cycle map, they’re not actually visible.

StirlingCrispin

I went downstairs and got my Garmin to check. The things I do for you.

I have the following enabled:
    INTL Standard Basenmap NR
    TT50-British Isles
    TT50-British Isles_DEM

All the other basemaps are disabled (slightly different list to yours but includes Garmin Cycle Map EU, Edge DEM Map EU etc).

There’s also this which shows OS coordinates on a screen:
    https://apps.garmin.com/en-GB/apps/2f30fe76-c14a-46e9-a606-76ced27dd776

yoshimi

The DEM map is the Digital Elevation Model – the “map” that provides altitude data. The Geocode map is for searching Postcode/Zipcode. These are used in conjunction with the Cycle map, they’re not actually visible.

Ahhhhhhhhh – that makes sense. So I guess that the DEM and the Geocode only work with the Garmin cycle map.

Theredfore, if I was to type in a postcode, it would base any directions/route on the Garmin Cycle map. But would it show the route on the Talkytoaster map.

That also make me assume that the Talky Toaster maps have all this info already built into one overall map.

I can forgive people for not answerinf any more….I’m really making hard work of this aren’t I 🙂

@stirling
    – THANKYOU! Heading off to the TT website now:)

frogstomp

I think the DEM map is also used to draw contours if that option is enabled in the settings.

INTL Standard Basenmap NR is a low resolution ‘whole world’ map with borders, coasts etc.

I think the draw order is arbitrary (you certainly don’t seem to be able to change it) so you should probably create profiles with different combinations of maps enabled for different purposes.

StirlingCrispin

I can forgive people for not answerinf any more….I’m really making hard work of this aren’t I

It’s not intuitive !
    Says the guy trying to get my device to re-sync so that I can show the OS coordinates app.
    I did have it working but where’s it gone ?

I suspect your exact solution depends on how you use the device.
    I don’t do postcode routing on the device.
    When planning for a cycle tour I use https://cycle.travel/ , save the gpx, upload to Connect and then sync to the device.
    I found this worked really well last summer getting some lovely new-to-me quiet roads on a route I thought I knew like the back of my hand.

On the hill I will often just drop a pin on the device map and navigate using the swinging arrow and following the track on the TalkyToaster map. But you can do that on open hills in Scotland.

StirlingCrispin

Ahh !
    There’s an option to show OS coordinates on the compass screen.

Under System – Units – Position Format – British Grid.

The compass delay is enabled via:
    Ride Settings – Data Screens – Compass

Or the coordinates can be added as a field to a data screen.

That is not intuitive !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.