Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Garmin Livetracking Question
  • Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

Mrs stu has been riding on her own due to me being injured.
    We thought it’d be cool for her to use Garmin Livetracking so i could keep half an eye out on her to make sure she’s OK.
    The tracking it’s self seems pretty good but it doesn’t show her speed or distance.
    I’ve read that it should show both of these things?
    It also, more importantly to her doesn’t record the ride.
    Should it do this? Or are we doing something wrong?

Premier Icon Dorset_Knob
    Subscriber

We use it in our house for same reasons. Yeah I think it normally catches those things – ride should be recorded as core Garmin function?

Maybe it’s still just a hack glitch..?

I’d give it a few more days before you attempt to do battle with the Garmin interface, see if it settles down.

Premier Icon Dorset_Knob
    Subscriber

OK, I’ve just checked the record of my ride from this morning – it shows the route, and distance, speed etc.

I think there’s an option to do with storing a tracked ride for 24 hours after it’s finished, and I think maybe this needs to be selected to get the data?

(But I don’t use ‘Live tracking’ for post-ride analysis etc, I do that elsewhere in Connect/Strava.)

Premier Icon tomnavman
    Subscriber

I have noticed ours does the same (pre-hack) – be interested to see if anyone has solved this

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

you have to set the live track to be available after the ride for it to be saved.

theres a pop up on the persons name when viewed in a browser (on a computer) that should give details of the activity

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

Thanks Dorset.
    Any ideas where i find the option to store the data for 24 hours please?
    When the ride finished it did’t upload any data to Connect. That’s where we normal view the ride
    I then plugged the watch into the PC and looked at the file for the ride and there didn’t appear to be any data in it.
    When Livetrack isn’t running it works as normal.

Subscriber

you have to set the live track to be available after the ride for it to be saved.

Any idea how to do this please?

Premier Icon Dorset_Knob
    Subscriber

Garmin Connect app > Safety & Tracking > Live Track, then enable “Extend LiveTrack”.

No idea on the other stuff 🙁

Premier Icon Dorset_Knob
    Subscriber

I’ve still got the maintenance message on Connect, so things are clearly still somewhat in flux.

Subscriber

Mmmm
    In the Connect app I don’t get

Garmin Connect app > Safety & Tracking > Live Track, then enable “Extend LiveTrack”.
    I get
    Tracking > Live Track then just a choise of Auto Start and who the info goes to and how (Email, or Twitter) or Group Track

Subscriber

OK.
    Now found the extend live tracking option and left it turnd on permenently
    Lets see if it works next time.
    Cheers all.

Subscriber

Just tried it out with a walk up and down the road and it now works.
    Brilliant.
    Cheers guys.

Subscriber

Neither of our Fenix 5 watches are recording any tracking at all now.😟
    Anyone else having this problem today?
    Seems like it must be a fault at Garmins end as we’ve not changed anything on either watch.

I assume it uses Bluetooth to the phone and then the phones data connection?

Subscriber

Yes.
    That’s not the problem though.
    Both the watches have stopped tracking all together.
    We can start the activity then it just pauses it’s self and doesn’t restart.

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

I tried the livetracking but found it a bit too flaky in its reliability. Ended up using the Glympse app which seems to track nicely and doesn’t rely on the watch to phone connection

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.