Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Garage bike storage
  • RickDraper
    Free Member

I need to store my bikes in my garage and also maximise the space. I was looking at hanging them by the front or back wheel but the wheel hangers I have bought mean if I wanted to get the end one out I’d need to pull all the other ones off as well. Does anyone have any advice on what hooks work best for them? I’d need to hang at least 4 bikes.

docrobster
    Free Member

I have some like this in the shed. Put them in the right place at the right height and they work really well

Shoze 4 Pack Bike Rack Wall Mount Bicycle Holders Vertical Cycle Storage Hanging Hooks for Home Indoor Outdoor Use https://amzn.eu/d/fvWMKO6

jameso

I use simple screw-in hooks, the bikes all hang from front wheel. If you space them out and stagger them vertically by about 30-50cm you can get bikes in/out fairly easily. Get the thicker material hooks, there’s some that bend after a while esp under the weight of an MTB. Add a layer of plastic pipe over the hook if needed.
    Angling / rotating them can help with different entry angles and tyre types etc, that’s an advantage over more bike specific systems that have fixed hook openings.
    hook

dc1988

I was looking at those fancy sliding hook rail things but they’re really expensive (I forget the brand). I was looking at making my own DIY version and stumbled across this.

https://www.bullerltd.co.uk/sliding-bike-storage-rack-track-with-hooks-en.html?variation_id=7930

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve seen some setups where wheeled trucks run a track so the hanging bikes can be moved along to make space for fitting and removal.

8n my garage, after a long time crunching numbers, I realised the best way to maximise space around the stored bikes was to mount a pedal hook and a length of aluminium L 3xtrusion on the wall. They are in a 2×2 pattern facing away from each other. This keeps them as flush as possible to the wall. The widest part, which is the bars, is at either end giving most space in the middle. If I’d hung them vertically they would have projected much further into the room.

richardkennerley

Depends on your wall space, but I’ve got a couple of similar mounts to These

in my garage, the bikes don’t intrude as much into the floor space, it’s a neat solution if you have the wall space to arrange them.

Edit – sounds similar to the above post!

towzer

I’ve gone round in circles (leaning against each other then stepped rack for horizontal, then had them vertical ) but have gone back to leaning them against each other as it’s the best for me/my garage as it takes up least space and I can use the mainly unusable space in the garage door travel path

Onzadog
    Free Member

Edit – sounds similar to the above post!

A link like that would have explained it so much better than typing all that out on a phone. 🤦🏼‍♀️

jonnyrockymountain

Stashed products

fazzini

but have gone back to leaning them against each other

1 wall made of bricks so tough they eat drills and bits for fun. The opposite wall made of concrete blocks softer than dairylea.

I’ve tried just about every wall method possible, now only keep one bike on the (brick) wall high up as I have that one locked to a wall anchor. The others are now standing on one side of the garage. 2 in a stand as per below, the 3rd leaning up against those 2.

Like this:
    Bike stand

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Steadyrack FTW. Spensive but worth it

Tracey

Ours are hung from the front wheels with Decathlon hooks. Have been for years.

tomhoward

+1 for steadyracks

FB-ATB

@Tracey- how wide is the space the 7 bikes take up, please?

I’ve got 6 bikes on 3 racks on one side wall. Have toyed with using the end like that but not sure if there is the width?

I don’t want to but the stuff & start rearranging only to find it doesn’t work.

Having 2 bikes per rack means the ones at the back don’t get used much as it’s easier just to take the one in front.

ads678

I’ve got a scaffold pole across the width of the garage and hang 4 bikes from that with another 3 on the floor underneath them with one wheel each in a bike rack I got from Aldi.

Scaffold pole was a tenner-ish, wall fittings another 3 or 4 quid each. Aldi bike rack about £15 I think…

Tracey

Will measure it next time I go in

FB-ATB

Thanks

Ogg

I’ve got storage for up to 8 bikes using:
    https://www.rollingcenter.co.uk/ 3m monorail , wheeled carriages and park tools hooks
    most of the time it’s got 6 bikes and 2 sets of wheels hanging from it.

Bikes hanging from hooks in monorail

Tracey

Garage is 2.7 wide internal and the hooks are at 0.35 centres
    The hooks are all angled so the front wheels go in at 45° to maximise the gaps with the bars taking up less space. There are no drop bars to account for.

mrmchammer
    Free Member

How did the cost stack up for those bits? Tempted to do similar @ogg

FB-ATB

Thanks, Tracey that’s really useful. I’ve got racking down one side so could move that to get a bit more room- though will have to work out what to with the tools etc on the racking!

rockhopper70

I always read these bike storage threads and get disheartened as I have a concrete panel garage and I don’t think it would be up to much loading. I’m sort of on the lookout for one of these floor mount racks that stagger the angle of bike storage, similar to seen at train stations. Currently have a tubular hoop five bike rack, which is ok for storage but with the bikes widthways across the garage, they do encroach a lot, and getting a bike out of the middle is a pain.

prettygreenparrot

I have a concrete panel garage

Me too. I’ve mounted some of those clug mounts into the wall. SDS drill and some rawl plugs and they’re neat. Holes go right through 😬

Means I can use a long chain and a floor anchor and lock each bike to the chain with D-locks.

onewheelgood

I’ve got 4 bikes on the wall using these

which were only £4.50 each when I bough mine a few years back but are now £10 from Halfords. Still only just over a quarter of the price of the ones @richerdkennerley linked above, although those include wheel rests – I did have to screw a wooden block on the wall under the front wheels.

stox
    Free Member

This thread has convinced me to wall mount the bikes. Currently sat in a floor rack (2x adult, 2 kids) but having just checked how much space I’d save wall mounting them I’m now also looking at the best (and not too expensive) options.

Jordan

I have something similar to these. which allow the bikes to fold sideways when hung like a cheaper version of Steadyracks. Works quite well!

Edit: after the fourth attempt to make that link work I give up. Here https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Feedback-Sports-Velo-Hinge_77061.htm?source=aw&awc=6821_1681151822_b2d08850085f93bb9e61d205ccafee5a&utm_source=aw&utm_medium=323889

richardkennerley

just over a quarter of the price of the ones @richerdkennerley linked above, although those include wheel rests –

Just for illustrative purposes, there’s way cheaper versions available, I wouldn’t pay £40 for them!!

My garage is small and the frame for the door eats into the space, but I’ve managed to arrange a couple of bikes on the wall and two leaning up

IMG-20210810-233718297

breninbeener

We spent a lot of time looking at this for our storage in a space squeezed garage.

We went with the Stashed bike rack system. Its really great and we store 10 bikes with easy on a really convenient system.

Ian

Ogg

@mrmchammer it was around £215 all in, £140 (plus £35 delivery) for the rail, mounts and carriages, £40 for the 8 park tool hooks – but the threaded versions (rather than wood screw type) seem quite hard to find from a uk supplier now.

ali69er
    Free Member

That stashed system looks pretty interesting, not cheap but does look robust.

benp1

I was going to the monotrack and carriages set up but it wasn’t cheap, although good value, so ended up making one from scratch from pallet wood. Takes two bikes and spare wheels, the wooden carriages can be slid along if needed and also height adjusted if I get different bikes. Bought an Asgard so some bikes are outside

The only thing I bought was a couple of the big plastidipped hooks. Everything else I had already

Need to take pics and share

stox
    Free Member

@docrobster do you hang the bikes off those hooks or is the rear wheel sat on the floor so the wall hook is in effect just holding the bike vertical?
    Can they work either way?

I Like the look of the steady racks and ability to pivot the bikes but at £75 a pop and I need 4 it’s a bit of a no-go right now so I’m just looking at cheaper fixed solutions.

SirHC

Steady racks for me, bikes fold at 45 degrees to the wall, so they are pretty space efficient.

stumpy01

I’ve tried a few different options over the years.

I mounted arris rail to my garage wall (cut 45deg timber), and screwed hooks into those so the bikes would sit vertically, back wheel on the floor and front wheel contained by the hook.
    I measured it all up beforehand, but it still was a bit of a surprise how far out, into the garage the bikes protruded – even when sitting at a 45deg angle.
    I put up with it for a while, before getting so fed up with bumping into them that I ditched the whole set-up & now just have two leaning against the wall top-to-tail & two on a rack the wall – bit of a pain as the arms of the rack aren’t really long enough to hold the bikes well.

I have considered some kind of rolling rail system so you could push bikes up tight to each other when not in use and allow them to rotate out of the way.
    Seeing the link that ogg provided above to rollingcenter, I have just had a look & that seems like some very reasonable product. A section of rail, with 5 brackets & carriages looks to be only around £110 or so; then a bit more on top for hooks to hang the bikes on. Tempted to give that a go.

paul_m

@ogg Which size rail did you go for?

ta11pau1

I have the feedback sports velohinges too, they do the job well.

IMG_20210907_101009

lodger

I have 6 of the planet x wheel hooks in a row (https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJOSWMBH/jobsworth-steel-wall-mounted-bike-hanger-(folding-hook))

The kids struggle to unhook their bikes – partly because of lack of space.

Has anyone tried to mount them on a slide rail or hinged like @ta11pau1 above? Would need a two way hinge to get the most space…

RickDraper
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. I am going to get a rail system ice Ogg has.

ogden
    Free Member

Any space above? I’ve had them all over the garage in the past few years and this worked out the best.

IMG_1310

14 of these hooks from screw fix for 7 bikes. https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke-heavy-duty-screw-in-anti-slip-round-storage-hook-black-103mm/5525j

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.