Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Fresh Goods Friday 571 – The ‘Quick! It’s briefly sunny outside’ issue
  • Mark

It’s all got a bit ping-tastic up here, so some of us our diving outside and enjoy a bike ride while we can, others have their fingers crossed for hal …

By mark

Get the full story on our front page at:

Fresh Goods Friday 571 – The ‘Quick! It’s briefly sunny outside’ issue

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

pmurden

Don’t hate me but I quite like those dungarees.

amandawishart

@pmurden I’m surprised it’s taken this long for them to appear, salopettes are brilliant in the snow so they make sense for mud/rain too. I think they look great!

pmurden

I agree perfect for those long dank days in somewhere like the Peaks. You cannot put a price on warm and dry!!!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I quite like those dungarees.

Certainly look practical to me, motorcycle commuting through winter I always preferred salopettes to trousers

I think they look great!

Shoulda gone to Specsavers 🤓

terrahawk
    Free Member

I don’t normally comment on the prices, but holy christ on a trike £450 for dungarees. Waterproof or not, that’s almost halfway to a thousand pounds to look a bit like Mr Tumble….

benpinnick

How much?

You can choose which product to apply it to.

Mark

If you think those top of range pants are expensive then I recommend never getting into snowsports..

Snowboard & Ski Outerwear

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

450 is cheap as they could double up as fishing waders :):).

kelvin

I like the look of the dungarees as well. And the shirt.

Harry_the_Spider

£450 for a pair of kecks? You used to be able to buy a bike for that!

gazzab1955

Forget the price of the Yeti. WTF!!! Who wears dungarees????? And at £450 you’re having a giraffe. Wear those with any of the boys and girls I ride with and you will be the butt of the jokes forever more. And another thing, £130 for a shirt! For cycling! The worlds gone mad. Have all those people with £10k+ E-MTB’s got nothing better to spend their money on? Are the dungaress and shirt E-MTB specific by any chance?

kelvin

I’d buy both if I could afford to (I can’t, so I won’t) and there are plenty of people out there wearing £130 winter cycling shirts or jackets (or things that are somewhere between the two). Pricing isn’t that unusual. Can’t comment on the dungaree pricing, because I can’t see alternatives to compare them to. They’re obviously many, many more times more expensive than my Decathlon riding trousers… but I’d give them a go if I was rolling in cash.

footflaps

£450 for a pair of kecks? You used to be able to buy a bike for that!

To be fair, that will barely get you a rear derailleur these days…

footflaps

Are the dungaress and shirt E-MTB specific by any chance?

They cost extra….

Gritstone

Can we see Patches the rabbit shredding his local trails, as the only thing our rabbits shred is phone cables, internet cables, Fridge and satellite cables

Sandwich

£450 to channel my inner Trev and Simon? Perfect to swing my pants!

How Much

For that Yeti?

stwhannah

Who wears dungarees?????

@Scott_Biles Me! I rarely wear anything other than dungarees! And when I do, it’s bike shorts! I am delighted to be able to avoid waistbands on the bike. And I am delighted to have been sent a pair to test because I couldn’t afford them!

450 is cheap as they could double up as fishing waders :):).

@Lee
    Orvis waders make these look pretty cheap. I think I need new flies more than I need waders though. I think all my fishing-not-catching is down to having the wrong ones, not my inability to stand in the water!

coffeeaddikt
    Free Member

Damn that’s a truck load of dosh to drop on a shirt and dungaree combo! add the shoes and I paid less for my VW!

chrismac

How much is that shirt?

ThruntonThrasher

You have forgotten to say what are the dungarees made from?

footflaps

You have forgotten to say what are the dungarees made from?

£10 notes stitched with gold thread….

stwhannah

@ThruntonThrasher POC says: ‘Highly durable 3-layer stretch weave fabric and reinforced zones featuring Cordura for very wet and muddy conditions.’ ‘ 3-layer waterproof material with a 15 000mm water column, plus a fluorocarbon free DWR treatment.’
    I say: not too rustly and moderately stiff waterproof fabric.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Swimming a wee bit against the tide here (budum-tish) but I think they are brilliant.  Bit too spendy at this point but more will appear if they prove popular.  I’m also in the camp of no waistbands while cycling if at all possible and these seem like the perfect thing to wear riding in the slop in the Tweed valley from pretty much now until April.

Hmm.. thinking about it is this really an absurd amount of money to spend on something that will get that much use and keep me from having to keep hoiking up my troosers at the bottom of every descent only to realise that the vague wet feeling I was having back there is actually a very wet feeling and.. oh no, it’s on the inside.!!!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

PSA POC dungarees

Swedish company, I am in Sweden so have a soft spot for POC, can get 35% off those dungarees from a friend who works for POC, but i think the price is disgusting. Utter joke. Mountain biking involves endless mud, falling and pointy things. Plus I presume you would still need an eye wateringly expensive jacket.

Ski and snowboard clothes are often designed for some of the most extreme environments on the planet (although often used bimbling round St Anton before a long boozy lunch). Doesn’t compare.

Yours,

Disgusted of Östersund

darthpunk
    Free Member

12 grand for a bike, £450 for waterproof painters dungarees, £200 to measure body temp, £130 for when you’re just too lazy to put on a cycling top or a t-shirt.

Mountain biking really has just become a “we are considerably richer than yow” pissing competition

thepurist

12 grand for a bike,

Not just any bike though – for that you get all the quality and backup that you’d expect from Yeti with the reliability you expect from an ebike. Hard to resist!

Harry_the_Spider

Mountain biking really has just become a “we are considerably richer than yow” pissing competition

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve just blown £247 on a few drive train bits. Nothing bling, just a few bits. Us mortals are getting priced out of the market.

IIRC many years ago MBR gave their bike of the year award to some cheap and cheerful Univega full susser and there was much whinging from the expensive brands. It’s time for someone to call them out.

LAT

yeti always strike me as the trek of the boutique brands.

they design a suspension system, claim it’s the greatest ever, then completely change it a few years later with the best ever system.

the dungarees look like they’d be too warm unless you lived somewhere very cold.

footflaps

No worse than road cycling, I was thinking of upgrading my drive chain to SRAM RED, a snip at £3.5k!

TheBrick
    Free Member

I did the dungarees but as everyone else is saying £450 is mad.

MTB uses core to advertise things but 450£ for dungarees is about as far from core as possible.

doomanic

I’ve wondered for a while why there are no salopette style wet weather trousers, now I know.

You cannot put a price on warm and dry!!!

450 quid apparently.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Hmm.. thinking about it is this really an absurd amount of money to spend on something that will get that much use and keep me from having to keep hoiking up my troosers at the bottom of every descent only to realise that the vague wet feeling I was having back there is actually a very wet feeling and.. oh no, it’s on the inside.!!!

Imodium is only a few quid mate..

leegee

I saw a bloke riding on Pitch hill today in those dungarees. Not for me at that price.

rickon
    Free Member

To put into context how INSANE £450 for a pair of waterproof dungarees is. Here’s a photo of some for £18.

POC are making a huge mark-up on them.

big_scot_nanny

@rickon Those might be quite handy for cub camp, I can never get waterproof over trousers to stay up. Those look genius, Will order!

As others said – you can get arcteryx ski trousers/bibs for considerably more than those POC fellas, or you can go to sportpursuit and get something 90% as good for 20% of the price. There will be trickle down, others will start to make them, as I can totally see the practicality myself.

Northwind

I know people will be thinking “Yeah but they’re proper technical riding fabric”. But a pair of riding trousers has 3/4s the material and most of the complex shapes etc and costs a third as much.

(OTOH the Fort airflexes are rated 2000mvp which is barely breathable at all, POC claim 30000 which is massively breathable, about as good as it gets. TBF I don’t believe that number’s realistic, for a cordura reinforced garment- at best it’s got to be the lab rating of the most breathable fabric in the things, not anything like the real world result of the overall garment or taking into account the reinforced parts which will be much less good, but I think it’s still fair to say that they’ll be miles more breathable than the cheap alternatives people are looking at)

johnmu
    pampmyride
    Free Member

Win , Win, Win for the “How Much” bingo this week!

johnnystorm

I had some Sprayway goretex salopettes for ice climbing around 98/99 and they were about £300 RRP. They’d probably be OK for riding in as they were fitted and had kevlar reinforced patches. Add a couple of decades inflation and £450 doesn’t seem so bad…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Fresh Goods Friday 571 – The ‘Quick! It’s briefly sunny outside’ issue’ is closed to new replies.