Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 1,018 total)
  • Forum House of Commons vote on air strikes in Syria – which way will you vote?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If Jihadists, male and female, gather their children around them does that make them all a target or not ?

There we go.

I dunno – is it better to be a terrorist sympathiser (questionable anyway) or someone who has no problem seeing children being killed as “collateral damage” (no doubt at all)?

Simple statement of fact as far as I’m concerned.

Given your tenuous grip on what is a fact and what’s your opinion, that statement carries as much weight as a helium balloon.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh and did I hear something about an MOD leak that Cameron was advised not to use the “70000” figure given how questionable (putting it lightly) it was?

binners

Corbyn and McDonnell (for you DrJ) named once again as terrorist sympathisers. Simple statement of fact as far as I’m concerned.

“Of course the people don’t want war. But after all, it’s the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it’s always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it’s a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.”

Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

outofbreath
    Free Member

Simple statement of fact as far as I’m concerned.

It is. Everyone sympathies with terrorists of some kind. SOE, GHQ Auxiliary Units. Hard to imagine nobody voting against (or for) sympathized with any terrorist ever. (and some are on record saying so.)

Cameron shouldn’t have said it because it’s unhelpful and misleading in the context of ISIL, but it *is* true.

ctk
    Free Member

Jesus **** Christ! Terrorist sympathisers! You boil my piss!

So its OK to sell weapons to Saudi Arabia known for stoning people to death or beheading them. Women aren’t allowed to drive

Israel use terror constantly aswell as popping people off around the globe

FFFS

For **** **** sake

You have no moral compass.

br
    Free Member

Everyone sympathies with terrorists of some kind.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/1065913.stm

This guy.

grum
    Free Member

Not been following the thread sorry – have we done this yet?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RC1Mepk_Sw[/video]

Why Russia Aggressively Went into Syria to Support Syrian President Bashar Al Assad

jimjam
    Free Member

ctk – Member

So its OK to sell weapons to Saudi Arabia known for stoning people to death or beheading them. Women aren’t allowed to drive

FFFS

For **** **** sake

Wow wow wow fella, what are you saying? Are you saing that David Cameron (gorblessim) is sympathetic to the brutal murderous Saudi regime who decapitate hundreds of their own civilains for trivial issues?

The same Saudi regime who export the Wahhabist philosophy that ISIS follow to the letter? The same Saudi regime who everyone including senior british militry figures say is the wellspring from which ISI and Al-Qaeda flow?

That’s almost like saying David Cameron is sympathetic to ISIS. Isn’t it. If that was true it would make Cameron the most disgustingly hypocritical pig f***** wouldn’t it?. If we lived in Saudi you’d have your head cut off for that.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Are you saing that David Cameron (gorblessim) is sympathetic to the brutal murderous Saudi regime who decapitate their own civilains for trivial issues?

Of course, JC is desperately trying to get the job that involves sucking up to Saudi. Wannabe Saudi sucker. 😀

ctk
    Free Member

Ha yes that’s right! Corbyn is just acting this way- its a negotiating position for when he gets into power. Extra gold coins for Corbs!

And Hilary Benn if he believes what he says then he should follow it through and get our soldiers involved on the ground. He did really seem to mean what he said didn’t he?

scotroutes

FTFY

Northwind

ctk – Member

And Hilary Benn if he believes what he says

Do you mean when he said we definitely have to bomb Syria, or when he said we definitely shouldn’t?

You’ve got to hand it to him, he does personify the modern labour party, having profound and unreconcilable divisions with himself. Makes him the ideal leader.

jambalaya
    Free Member

French Government advice published today on responding to terrorist incidents, posters will be sent to businesss. Very sadly a sign of the times.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@grum the war in Syria is entirely the result of the “Arab spring” which turned into a full scale civil war with external influenece from those who wished to see Assad toppled. Really it has pretty much nothing to do with oil or gas.

konabunny
    Free Member

@grum the war in Syria is entirely the result of the “Arab spring” which turned into a full scale civil war with external influenece from those who wished to see Assad toppled.

It is, if you ignore the internal political and economic causes of the war: sustained drought, migration to the cities to look for work, an inflexible state-run economy, the strain of a million Iraqi refugees.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ctk, a few thoughts

FFFS

For **** **** sake

If you get so wound up discussions on a bike forum populated primarily by citizens of one of the most Liberal democracies in the world perhaps you should spend time elsewhere ?

Last year we sold $4bn of weapons to the Saudis, the French sold $12bn. Please take up your point with Monsieur Hollande. Let me know how you get on.

Israel unilaterally withdrew from Gaza in 2005 and what happened, the population elected an extreme Islamist government with a written constitution to destroy Israel by armed Jihad. The Israelis are used to dealing with such extremists, we are having to learn those very harsh lessons. Lessons which dont sit well with our liberal democracies.

Moral compass ? Always a very personal and subjective judgement. Withoit coalition intervention in Iraq IS would have murdered 10’s if nit 100’s of thousands of Yazidis. Ask the French whether they think its morally justified to launch airstrikes in Syria and to require EU nations to assist militarily under the EU treaties.

jambalaya
    Free Member

causes of the war: sustained drought, migration to the cities to look for work, an inflexible state-run economy, the strain of a million Iraqi refugees.

I’m not ignoring those things, they where factors leading to the Arab Spring uprising in Syria no ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

The claim is that the arab spring was the cover and that foreign countries[ and this is not disputed BTW] were funding and training the “opposition” to Assad and were agent provocateurs
    Its not like its unheard of the west getting rid of unfriendly govts and maintain friendly ones irrespective of trifling concerns about legitimacy, democracy or human rights

Interesting read and requires a deeper analysis than you have given it though I dont know if it is true or not

binners

Withoit coalition intervention in Iraq IS would have murdered 10’s if nit 100’s of thousands of Yazidis.

You could always argue that without the coalition intervention in the first place, there wouldn’t be a problem to begin with. There were pretty clear warnings about what would happen in Iraq. It would collapse into sectarian violence. Which it did. Ultimately leading to the formation of ISIS

Hurray for coalition intervention eh?

grum
    Free Member

OK so no-one can be bothered to read the link but how about this nice diagram?

Apologies if it has been done before.

binners

That oil drum in the top corner is clearly related to…..

Junkyard
    Free Member

so no-one can be bothered to read the link

I read it …go on test me 😉

I did read it honest. I never comment on links unless i have read them as anything else is stupid.

yunki
    Free Member

I think I need a killfile for jambalaya..

His posts are starting to make me really really sad.. What a nutter

binners

I find Jammers posts quite interesting. In the same way as reading a Peter Hitchens article is interesting.

jimjam
    Free Member

jambalaya

Last year we sold $4bn of weapons to the Saudis, the French sold $12bn. Please take up your point with Monsieur Hollande. Let me know how you get on.

Hang on there a minute. Just because France are as complicit, or more so in arming the regime that funds ISIS it doesn’t exonerate Cameron. In addition to farming out radical Islam to every mosque in the world that’ll let them and killing their own citizens for crimes such as atheism and adultery the Saudis are using these weapons to slaughter civilians in Yemen.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Its not like its unheard of the west getting rid of unfriendly govts and maintain friendly ones

True, although in more recent years the west has chosen to get rid (relatively) friendly Governments and replace them with Islamic extremists who hate us.

You could always argue that without the coalition intervention in the first place, there wouldn’t be a problem to begin with. There were pretty clear warnings about what would happen in Iraq. It would collapse into sectarian violence. Which it did. Ultimately leading to the formation of ISIS

This. It’s not even debatable, just fact.

Northwind

jimjam – Member

In addition to farming out radical Islam to every mosque in the world that’ll let them and killing their own citizens for crimes such as atheism and adultery the Saudis are using these weapons to slaughter civilians in Yemen.

Nuh uh- we sold them Brimstone missiles, they only kill baddies

Junkyard
    Free Member

True, although in more recent years the west has chosen to get rid (relatively) friendly Governments and replace them with Islamic extremists who hate us.

i never said we were any good at it 😉

CHrist you have to laugh as that is depressing news we are just making enemies everywhere

grum
    Free Member

I read it …go on test me
    I did read it honest. I never comment on links unless i have read them as anything else is stupid.

Just interested to know what people thought of it as an explanation for the conflict. It seems fairly plausible to me and I’ld be very surprised if ‘resource security’ wasn’t a fairly major part of all this – just hard to know exactly what to believe.

The Wesley Clark video is also pretty amazing in some ways – though also no surprising.

jimjam
    Free Member

Northwind

Nuh uh- we sold them Brimstone missiles, they only kill baddies

I’m pretty sure they killed 100+ civilians last month, 56 of them children using bombs Dave sold them. I mean, I’m no expert in geopolitics or wordplay, so I guess there’s some sort of profound difference when an extreme Islamist government slaughters children and that of an extreme Islamist group slaughtering children.

If killing children with missiles was terrorism I guess that would make Dave not only a sympathiser but a profiteer of terrorism, but I guess it’s not, so he couldn’t possibly be.

Junkyard
    Free Member

perhaps you should spend time elsewhere ?

Perhaps we should have a vote on who we want to leave

Who do you think would garner the most votes ?

Its not really that surprising that a number of folk consider your posts to lack empathy and logical coherence

Still at least you stayed consistent and blamed them for reacting

Moral compass ? Always a very personal and subjective judgement

Not really some stuff is bad and that is it. We dont look at who is doing it before deciding what is bad . Have a look at Israel assassinations abroad and condemn it as you would if Syria, Palestine, or Iraq did.

Agreed Grum it is certainly plausible and we certainly do go to war re resources and we certainly dont go to war just because the country is a bit mean to its citizens.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

yunki – Member

I think I need a killfile for jambalaya..

His posts are starting to make me really really sad.. What a nutter

You might be dismissive of jambalaya but his views and opinions are very much in line with the views and opinions of those who decide our defence policy, education policy, health policy, taxation, international relations, etc, ie the government.

You are going to have to think of a better description than simply “nutter” imo.

And if you’re not happy with government policies something more effective than a killfile.

mattjg
    Free Member

You are going to have to think of a better description than simply “nutter” imo.

“Voter”? 😉

epicyclo

jambalaya – Member
    …on a bike forum populated primarily by citizens of one of the most Liberal democracies in the world…

You’re being ironic I hope.

chip
    Free Member

We’ve got nothing on this bunch of lefties

jambalaya
    Free Member

@yunki I would hope you’d see things differently if we met for a beer, assuming you’d agree to such a thing someday. As you can see I’m not one to try and sugar coat things, sometimes reality is harsher than many are prepared to admit.

@epic, I am certain you are trying to make a point but actually I agree with you totally on this security issue in terms of my views and government policy.

Yes absolutely we live in one of the most Liberal and open democracies in the world, top 3, top 5 ?

I’ve been in Pairs this week and there has not been a single comment / written word I’ve seen anywhere about civilian casualties. I may have missed them of course. France is imo the most left wing of any European nation and yet has upped the anti to “war” status against IS and in terms of domestic polciy and police powers. Do we really need an attack here in the UK which sees 400 people shot and 130 dead before we fully appreciate what we are dealing with.

The BBC reported on the latest Daesh video today, kids playing hide and seek, except once found those people where executed by the kids. 5 shot and the last one beheaded. I watched the video. Even more gruesome than the executions by kids at the Palmare site released a few months ago. I believe the rationale given for the executions where that they where spies for Israel.

These people are monsters, left unchallenged they will grow stronger and they will continue to murder people everyday. They wil continue to train and rescource people to travel to the West to kill us. One of fhe Paris terrorists is known tomhave travelled to Birmingham and London and met known uk terrorist suspects

molgrips
    Free Member

Why do the hawks always accuse the anti-bombers of wanting to do nothing? When we’ve repeatedly said that’s not what we want.

It’s very poor rhetoric, when we really need intelligent debate.

The question isn’t to bomb or to appease; it’s “what is the best way to stop ISIS?”

I am saying bombing isn’t the best way to fix the situation. If it were, I’d support it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do we really need an attack here in the UK which sees 400 people shot and 130 dead before we fully appreciate what we are dealing with.

No we dont need that and we dont need emotive appeals as no one wants to see anyone dead so lets just take that as a given. Secondly lets not pretend that engaging them in war will necessarily make this event less likely or that it is inevitable if we ” do nothing”. Basically we all know what we are dealing with where we differ is on what we think is the best way of dealing with them.

Please try to put your case a little less with appeals to emotions and a bit more cogent/explanation about how bombing them will work out well for us. Feel free to use the recent Western excursions in the middle east field to illustrate your answer.

I assume hilary benns speech was a little like that Said things we all agreed with but never really tried to explain how or why bombs would make it all better.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Why do the hawks always accuse the anti-bombers of wanting to do nothing? When we’ve repeatedly said that’s not what we want.

The anti-bombers do the same by claiming that the hawks want to *only* bomb and not carry out any of the raft of other options in addition to bombing.

Both are straw-man arguments and very frustrating.

mefty
    Free Member

Both are straw-man arguments and very frustrating.

I perused an argument between Danny Finkelstein, Philip Collins and Medhi Hassan on Twitter today which went along similar lines – these are all guys of some ability – and they end up in the same place.

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 1,018 total)

The topic ‘Forum House of Commons vote on air strikes in Syria – which way will you vote?’ is closed to new replies.