Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Formula Cura, any good?
  • lawman91

Few months in on the Spur and not overly impressed by the G2 RS brakes that came on it, changed to a bigger rear rotor but they still don’t feel all that powerful, plus the pistons are going a little sticky already. Got Hope E4’s on the Soul I could move over, but fancy something a little different.

Any feedback on the Cura, either 2 or 4-pot? I liked the Oro way back when but never liked the R-series or the C1’s but the Cura seems to get well reviewed so interested to hear peoples long term views.

flyingmonkeycorps

I have a pair of the 2 piston ones to go on my Rocket when I get around to building it up. Probably won’t be till summer though!

They definitely look very nice.

superfli
    Free Member

Got the 2 pots on my HT and FS. Plenty of power, not bad modulation and have been very reliable. I use Uber race matrix pads.
    I’ve had formula the ones for years, so bit of a formula fan boy

bruneep

4 pots here, fitted with galfer pads. No issues at all

luke0912
    Free Member

I have cura 4’s and they are by far the best brake I have used great power and nice modulation without masses of lever throw. The only downside is the lack of availability of pads and limited aftermarket options at present.

SirHC

Excellent brakes, I have the 2 pots on both bikes, more than enough power, great modulation and they can be had for £180 a pair.

paton
    Free Member

lawman91

Thanks for the feedback, think I’ll give them a go if I can find any! The usual German shops are out of the question, any idea where they can be found in the uk?

bruneep

Ebay or pinkbike?

ogden
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, think I’ll give them a go if I can find any! The usual German shops are out of the question, any idea where they can be found in the uk?

I wanted some pre covid and I would have had to buy rotor, mounts, fluid and brakes all from 4 different shops in Europe, that was enough to put me off purely for the hassle. Mojo are the distributer for the UK but didn’t get back to me when I contacted them and if you contact Formula they seem really weird bordering on rude. In the end I got a set of hope E4’s – Turns out I don’t really like them and prefer my Code R’s.

Also, Formula told me if you don’t use their oil to bleed them it voids the warranty.

SirHC

Geometron is the UK dealer. @Ogden they usually very responsive to emails, so find that strange.

Lordgun in Italy is another option.

lewzz10

Similar experience to Ogden on dealing with Geometron as UK distributor, they don’t seem very interested.

Brakes (Cura 2) are fantastic though. Better than my guides in every respect (excluding shifter mounts). I bought them from kw570 on ebay

jairaj

I switched over from 2 year old Shimano XT to the Formula Cura2 in the summer. I am very happy with them. The lever shape is comfortable and has a good positive and consistent feeling. The instant bite isn’t as much as Shimano but there is more than enough power and much better modulation instead. On steep sections its much easier to control my braking and I’m barely locking up and able to control my speed perfectly. Previously I would be locking up the back wheel and skidding down the section just because it was hard to apply just enough brake, I’d prefer to add too much than not enough.

Getting spares within the UK is difficult at the moment but I’m hoping that gets better once more people move over to Formula and shenanigans with customs and imports has all settled down.

I’ve ordered some stuff from German shops in mid December and it got to me fine wasn’t any delays. Not seen what the new tariffs for importing stuff from EU is now so don’t know if that skews your decision?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.