Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fork van/mount brackets? What’s the favourite?
  • weeksy

Debating a couple for the van. Would likely just mount onto a piece of timber for the times I need them

Only quirk is the GT which is 110*20, the rest would usually 110*15.

https://treefrogracks.co.uk/treefrog-20mm-x-110mm-thru-axle-fork-mount-20-p.asp

These maybe?

honourablegeorge

Bikestow?

timber

After searching around a few, I ended up with some fleabay ones that came with a hand full of different adapters to suit the different forks we have. Just screwed then to some bits of board.

holds

timba
    Free Member

A cheap wheels-on cycle carrier for a roof rack if you have the space. I picked two up from a mate from some long-sold car. Bolt onto a piece of wood, fits my gravel bike in 2m space but a long MTB might not be as compact

alpin
    Free Member

I find those mounts where you have to hover the bike over the mount whilst trying to get the axle in a PITA.

Unaka Gear mounts or Rocky Mounts.

Much easier to use.

weeksy

After searching around a few, I ended up with some fleabay ones that came with a hand full of different adapters to suit the different forks we have. Just screwed then to some bits of board.

Yeah they don’t seem to do 110*20 though.

timber

@alpin I just put the bike upside down, wheel out, brake spacer and clamp in.

steveh

Blokpod are the best I’ve found and best value too. Got a bunch in the back of my camper.

alpin
    Free Member

I just put the bike upside down, wheel out, brake spacer and clamp in.

…. and then screw the mounts to the van floor?

Nahyeah….. Don’t sound like too much hassle.

The Blok Pod ones aren’t much different to the Delta fork mounts I used to have, other than they’ve got a better selection of adapters.

Just ordered four of these from the States. Might be a bit pricey, but figured I’m not paying rent for the next few years so sod it.

diggery
    Free Member

For me the benefit of a van is simplicity, chuck the bike in, wheels on, and go.

Bungy on the headrest posts. Chuck the bike diagonally behind the seat, back wheel in first and wedged in the corner. Stretch the bungy round the saddle nose. Cheap IKEA fleece blanket between bikes to stop rub.

Fast, cheap, simple, versatile.

Add some D loops to the ply or body posts if you need more points.

For a panel van setup I had a vertical bungy mid way down. Bike against the side, budgy round the saddle. Took about 5 seconds and never shifted.

timber

My method is probably more applicable to when the clamps are on boards to place where wanted. Which is partly why mine aren’t bolted to a track in the van.

weeksy

Yeah when testing it, it slots in nicely with the bar end up against the side and then the forks just sitting on the rubber matting or a piece of foam.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2nD4M7N]2022-08-08_10-14-29[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

It’s not going to move even with just a bungee on there so in some ways paying £100-150 for a pair of these is a little excessive i think. It’s all just a bit of trial and error with things at the moment. 90% of the time the back seats will be rolled forwards and both wheels fitted anyway. But for Alps trip for example we’re using both rows of seats so was just thinking how i’d do it. I’m not going to lob £150 at it though.

zerocool

I like the Blokpod style ones but to be honest when I get around to doing mine I’ll probably just drill a hole in a block of wood

zerocool

You can buy a 20×110 on eBay for £19.99

Ambrose

I use a block of 3*2 with a Maxle size hole bored through. Screwed to a board. The forks rest directly onto wooden ‘rests’ the height of which is determined by the forks adjusters, brake mounts etc. Back wheel into the rear of the car forks lowered onto the wooden rests, Maxle in and tightened and away I go.

sowler
    Free Member

I asked this question a few weeks ago and went with the cheap ebay style ones above (ZTTO) or whatever is branded on them. Work perfectly well. Screwed mine down to a cut to shape board to go under the bed in my van, secured with mag latches so I can remove the setup if I don’t need it. Don’t see the issue of hovering the forks over the mount, not that big of deal IMO. Keep It Simple.

bjhedley

MTB vans mount for me as came with all the different adaptors – mine get’s used with both road and MTB’s. TBH, it’s not a great improvement as because MTB’s are so sodding long these days, I have to move it depending on which bike is going in (MTB – axle in front of bars, Road bike – bars in front of axle) and the bike goes across the van in front of the R&R bed.

If you’ve not ‘campered’ the inside of your van, I’d go with the wheel off and bungee every time.

zerocool

@Ambrose – I assume the wood is a bit softer and less likely to scratch paint.

Ambrose

Yup. Some wood is very tough, but I don’t know of any timber that can scratch or otherwise damage aluminium.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.