Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Flat spot on car rim, is it unsafe?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Noticed this a few days ago. Reckon its bad enough to need checking out somewhere? It doesn’t seem to be causing pressure loss or deforming the tyre, but I dont know enough about cars to say! Where should I take it, a dedicated tyre shop, and is this sort of thing fixable without having to resort to buying a new wheel? This is the second time I’ve damaged a rim due to our poorly maintained roads and big potholes – the last one was a write off as it cracked the inside :\

http://db.tt/XRuPvR5r

transporter13
    Free Member

Ats euromaster down near the train station mate. Speak to jay. He’s the tall assistant manager. Tell him his brothers mate David sent you. He’s a rider too

He’ll see you right.

_tom_
    Free Member

Nice one, cheers 🙂 really hoping I dont need a new wheel, the proper Ford ones are expensive but if I get aftermarket ones then it’ll be classed as a modified car I guess, so will be more expensive to insure?

footflaps

I put a major flat spot in an alloy on my Golf. It wouldn’t hold air that well and needed topping up all the time, so I swapped it to the rear. Lasted a few years like that.

TheFlyingOx

Not saying you will, because it appears you’re being sorted out, but if you get told you need a new wheel then tell them to do one. I had a wheel repaired that was actually torn open like a can opener had been at it:

Granted it cost about £250, but it was a lot cheaper than a new one of those particular wheels.

That should be less than £50 to put yours straight I would have thought.

_tom_
    Free Member

Well thats reassuring, cheers 🙂

banks
    Free Member

Lump hammer : )

transporter13
    Free Member

Can you actually feel the flat spot when driving or is it just the outer part of the lip?
    As above has said, most damage can be balanced out to keep it safe.
    Take the wheel of and clean up the whole wheel properly and check for cracks yourself?

Edit. Just realised that there’s a pic lol.
    That’ll be fine mate. If you can feel it but its not losing air then get it rebalanced and put it on the rear of the car so you can’t feel any wobble or suchlike through the steering wheel. If not then leave as is. It wouldn’t worry me if it were mine

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Flat spot on car rim, is it unsafe?’ is closed to new replies.