Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fitting disc brake tab on 90's 4130 cromo rigid MTB fork, flex/strength probs?
  • TimothyD
    Free Member

Has anybody ever had any problems with the forks on older rigid mtbs being too flexy after having disc brake tabs brazed onto them?

A (new) cautious frame builder has said he’d rather not fit some to my bike because of the risk of the forks not being strong enough.

His work looks really good and high quality, like he has an eye for detail in making things ‘properly’, so i’m not going to name him, some caution is generally a good thing.

Just wondering if anybody’s ever had any problems?

If not i’ll just go somewhere else, and maybe get a nice frame built by the cautious fellow sometime.

Ta,

Tim

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i have seen a set of forks snap after having a disc tab brazed on. the for was never designed to take the stresses and strains associated with disc brakes.

bencooper
    Free Member

Depends on the fork, really – old Project2s, no worries, old skinny things with brazed crowns maybe not.

1″ or 1 1/8″ headset?

cynic-al
    Free Member

TimothyD – Member

Has anybody ever had any problems with the forks on older rigid mtbs being too flexy after having disc brake tabs brazed onto them?

A (new) cautious frame builder has said he’d rather not fit some to my bike because of the risk of the forks not being strong enough.

I’ve been told this but done it anyway without issue, I didn’t use the forks for years tho.

Bit of bracing should help.

bencooper
    Free Member

What are you going to brace it against – the down tube? 🙂

TimothyD
    Free Member

Thanks for the info re the forks snapping, seems like the guy is right to be cautious.

Ta,

Tim

cynic-al
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

What are you going to brace it against – the down tube?

I was thinking of triangulating the brace along the fork leg – obvious, is it not? 😛

TimothyD
    Free Member

The forks are from the early to mid ninties with a brazed crown and a 1 inch fork steerer with curved fork legs.

Think i’ve decided against it though.

curlie467
    Free Member

I test fitted a disc wheel with 160 rotor fitted to similar forks you to that you mention and the wheel wouldnt go in the forks anyway due to the rotor hitting the legs.

bencooper
    Free Member

The forks are from the early to mid ninties with a brazed crown and a 1 inch fork steerer with curved fork legs.

I wouldn’t put a disc mount on forks like that either. My worry is not so much them snapping – though that’s a possibility – it’s that they could bend far enough to twist the wheel out, a la Allan.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fitting disc brake tab on 90's 4130 cromo rigid MTB fork, flex/strength probs?’ is closed to new replies.