Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Favourite bench
  • duncancallum

In possibly the dullest thread ever….

Wheres your favourite public bench?

I’m torn…

Nature reserve in helmsdale is currently favourite though one near home at gairlston Harbour is topping it as its local!

nickjb
    Free Member

Just up the hill from our place in West Wales. It gets a sea view and a mobile signal, neither of which we get down the bottom of the valley

PiknMix
    Free Member

Do I have one? I’m even sad enough to have a photo of it.

Sheffield Winter Garden.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mDLn5m]Untitled[/url] by Pik n Mix, on Flickr

duncancallum

Mine

sharkattack

Do I have one? I’m even sad enough to have a photo of it.

Sheffield Winter Garden.

Hot property those benches. Don’t think I’ve ever managed to sit on one.

kayak23

This one.

We had a competition to design a memorial bench for Coombe Abbey in Coventry when I was teaching furniture making at College.
    The student who won, Jan Waterston designed this one, and I helped him make and install it.

It’s gone now. Rotted away and jumped all over by excited kids.

leffeboy

Oh that is beautiful, great job

donald
    Free Member

link fail

donald
    Free Member

John Muir Country Park

40mpg

I do like a good mid-ride bench to sit on and enjoy a cider. This is a favourite, although disappointingly the kebab shop across the road has been consumed by the ferrari garage. Spent many a late night drunkenly snaffling meat products followed by a wobbly ride home across the forest.

Boltons bench. Nowhere near Bolton.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I don’t think I have one. My grandad passed away on his favourite bench. He lived in Ramsgate and would walk down to the front over looking the harbour with his paper whenever the weather permitted. He drifted off peacefully there. I couldn’t say the exact bench as I was only young when it happened. Sorry to bring the mood of the thread down.

scuttler

@mrwhyte not morose, a really nice story except maybe for the poor bugger that discovered him.

Nice thread this – STW vs Detectorists

duncancallum

@mrwhyte

Your not. I think that’s an ace story. I’d far rather shuffle off this mortal coil during a lovey sit down rather than other options

survivor

I don’t think that’s brought the mood down.

In fact I think I want to go that way now I think about it..

CountZero

This one used to be mine, it was on a nature reserve at Morgan’s Hill, near Calne, the one day I went up there for a walk, and it had disappeared! It was leaning forward a bit, but nothing that a bloke with a posting spade and several lengths of rebar couldn’t have fixed, but either Wiltshire Wildlife who oversaw it and decided it was a hazard, or someone took a shine to it and nicked it! It would have required some considerable effort either way.
    Still makes me sad, it was a nice place to sit, the view is fantastic; on a clear day you can see must of the edge of the Cotswolds, from just north of Bath to up near Stroud, and beyond that, if you know where to look, you can see the Brecon Beacons and the Black Mountains, including Sugarloaf.

mariner
    Free Member

50″ 39′ 52
    03″ 22′ 05

wheelsonfire1

I’ve been sitting on it a couple of hours ago. At the top of Bank Road, Matlock, we call it old mans crevice. Set into the wall and perfect for post Farmacy, Newsroom and Bentley Brook Brewery afternoon session – chips and curry sauce from Wellington Street chippy! A picture would be more than any of you could take!

scuttler

At Mariner, shouldn’t that longitude coordinate be -3?? As it is puts you in a field in northern France.

gallowayboy

bench
    (Obscured by bike) stone seat in shedden clough on the Mary Townley loop. There’s a carved dedication to someone, I can’t make it out. Always stop there for a snack and a quiet rest.
    Edit first time I’ve tried to post a pic from phone! Never mind.
    Edit edit sorted

funkmasterp

He lived in Ramsgate and would walk down to the front over looking the harbour with his paper whenever the weather permitted. He drifted off peacefully there.

That sounds like a great way to go to me.

I’m partial to this one at the top of Macc forest. Just a really nice place to sit, chill and think before ending a ride with a couple of choices of downhill bits and then cruising home

duncancallum

Though this is my favourite dedication

lunge

Clent Hills, on a quiet track, looking out to other hills.
    It’s not the best view in the world but it was the only place that could clear Mrs Lunge’s mind when she was really struggling with depression. We’d sit there for hours just looking out, listening to the birds and occasionally talking.
    We don’t need to go there much anymore, thankfully.
    For that reason alone, it’ll always be my favourite bench.

BillMC

spooky_b329

I don’t have the photo of the bench, but I do have a photo ‘from’ the bench 🙂

Why?
    It might not have a backrest, but its curved just so to make it really comfy after a long day on the bike and invites you to lie down.
    Its old, dedicated to someones memory, and slightly off the way.
    Its at the top of probably the worst hill on the SDW for a singlespeed, its calf snapping just walking!

kayak23

Another favourite bench of mine was this one on Dartmoor.
    Here I am sat on it several years ago now. Can’t recall the year.

I think it’s gone now as apparently idiots used to climb up it and sit on it for photos, although I didn’t see any while I was up there. 🙄

Anyone know what happened to it?

Here’s another favourite bench (benches rock !) by a furniture maker called Phillip Koomen.

easily
    Free Member

I don’t have a picture but my favourite is in Milton Keynes – it’s place less than 50m away from the M1.
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone sit on it, but it makes me smile each time I cycle past it.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

One halfway up a local hill, cut into the rock by someone years ago. Surrounded by woodland on all sides, small lake about 100′ feet below it.
    Used to love to sit here late night/early morning when the trees have full canopy and just observe. The owls and foxes you hear and see going about their business is gorgeously meditative.
    Was lucky enough to doze off one night, about 3am, to be woken by a family of about 7 badgers snuffling around me. You ever heard a troop of startled badgers run full pelt through the woods? Sounds like a herd of cows.
    Anyway, that bench.

Houns

This one

jaminb
    Free Member

Has anyone got a pic of the bench at Swinley just before Labyrinth? I am always amazed how it appears to float on a sea of litter

sargey

Top of kinver edge looking across to the sheepwalks on a late summers evening deciding which pub to stop at on the way home.

el_boufador

When I used to work in an actual office I used to religiously walk up to the parkeach lunchtime Theres a secret spot by the bowling green with a bench that’s an utter suntrap. Even in the cold and wind, so long as it’s sunny you can lie down for a snooze.

It’s probably the only thing I miss about going to the office!

Houns

sargey that might be one of the benches I put in

cheese@4p

Dedicated benches are at epidemic level around here. Despoiling the best bits of the countryside.

faz71

‘My’ bench is on a headland off Myrtle Bay on Derwent water looking over towards Keswick.
    My first memory of it is in 1987 as a sixteen year old camping in the woods nearby for a week with mates.
    34(!) years later I regularly go to the caravan site in Manesty woods with the family (this week in fact) and the kids love sitting reading the ancient initials carved into it and it’s now ‘their’ bench.

tthew

Now I’m disappointed that I don’t have a favorite bench. ☹️ But I’ll definitely be thinking on this thread on my future complative sitting moments.

Davesport

Halfway up the climb out of Kinlochleven. Great place to rest going up towards Loch Eilde towards Lubielt.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My favourite is a work bench

When it was first built

And now

dyna-ti

Nice bench WCA. Plenty of space for tool boxes. Did you do those inset bits specific to bosch or festool boxes
    Seen a number with a router table one end, saw bench the other.

Nice sized workspace too. Wish I had something that size to get as messy and cluttered. Mines small and cluttered 😆

ElShalimo

This one, next to the Stanza Stone at Scammonden dam. It’s just a really nice bench cut from layers of local stone in the shape of the reservoir (when full)

mariner
    Free Member

shouldn’t that longitude coordinate be -3?? As it is puts you in a field in northern France.

OOPs yes -3 but probably rather be in a field in northern France.
    All the years I have been sitting on this bench I never took a photo of it just from it.
    On a clear day I can see over to Lyme Bay with Portland on the horizon.
    Takes me a couple of hours to ride there and feel really miffed if someone else is sitting there when I get there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.