Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • EWS First Doping Failures
  • arogers
    Free Member

I suppose this was inevitable. Seemingly some well known riders. I hope lengthy bans are dished out and sponsors never touch them again.

geex
    Free Member

Why do you hope that when you don’t even know the details?

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Due process.. then bombers. Thats the schedule.

Could just be some nonsense from a shitty supplement or even recreational drugs.

Who does the testing anyway??

arogers
    Free Member

Why do you hope that when you don’t even know the details?

I’m assuming these are PED using cheats. Obviously I wouldn’t want anyone banned for correctly using their asthma medicine.

Of course, maybe this is all above-board but that’s not how it seems from the way info is coming out.

Who does the testing anyway??

I think this is part of the new deal with the UCI but I’m happy to be corrected on that.

plecostomus
    Free Member

It will happen, but Sam and Martin are clean as they have raced dh and will have been tested at the world cups

jameso

will have been tested at the world cups

Not said with those riders in mind, just making a general point – passing tests doesn’t necessarily mean you’re clean, it seems that tests can be ‘beaten’ and doping can be done in a way that a rider’s system is cleared by test time.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Don’t be Rude. DYSWIDT?

legend
    Free Member

This is mtb remember, so we don’t name the riders even when the guilt is confirmed 🙄

bonobo
    Free Member

Where is this info coming from?

andyrm
    Free Member

I was going to ask the same – nothing on any of the usual places…..

hols2
    Free Member

Where is this info coming from?

Exactly.

benpinnick

Reece Wallace mentioned it on Twitter and Remy replied with an implication it was big names.

hols2
    Free Member

Ok, so we have https://twitter.com/reece_w?lang=en:

V curious to see who failed the first round of EWS drug testing. Ban them and get outta here with that shit.

Followed by

an implication it was big names.

bonobo
    Free Member

Interesting.

I think my ignorance was bliss…

I always viewed mountain biking as clean, I hope this result will scare any others straight.

egb81
    Free Member

Given there are quite a lot of household medications that contain banned substance there’s a fair chance that lots of riders are inadvertently taking PEDs. Given the previous lack of testing and a general naivety I can see how people fail. It’s not like the pro peleton where they have huge resources and lots of doctors to keep them away from taking some Lemsip* that’ll get them banned for two years. If it’s something like EPO then sure, fetch the bombers and wee in their shoes but it’s a bit crazy at this early stage.

*Just an example, I have no idea of Lemsip contains banned substance and am in no way suggesting you wrack up a line of it to try.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Given there are quite a lot of household medications that contain banned substance there’s a fair chance that lots of riders are inadvertently taking PEDs.

Not a direct experience but a few years ago a friend got an elite license and with it all the UKAD literature about what was in and out, along with what to look for, given a lot of these riders have been around national/world XC/DH I’m surprised if they didn’t know that. However when did the new testing start? Or is this the tests from Finale?

geex
    Free Member

I really hope it’s THC

https://mbaction.com/give-houseman-his-medal-back-jan-16/

and the UCI are told to **** off

rene59
    Free Member

Might just be recreational, good time drugs, not cheating drugs.

vincienup
    Free Member

Might just be recreational, good time drugs, not cheating drugs

That does open a huge can of worms on what constitutes ‘cheating drugs’.  In a sport like EWS, it seems to me that a case could be made that anything that affected your attitude to risk could be classed as ‘performance enhancing’…

geex
    Free Member

How so Vince?

Winning the EWS is about being consistent. ie. NOT taking big risks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and the UCI are told to **** off

Not a chance as they are being invited in (but not in yet)

http://www.enduroworldseries.com/rule-book/

Current Rule Book refers to National Bodies being those currently in charge of Testing. So national policies apply.

geex
    Free Member

Trust Mik to take my comment litterally :rolleyes:

Does anyone really think certain riders should be banned from competing in all UCI events and have their names dragged throug mud because they like a wee smoke in the woods when building and riding Rad stunts and making vids but happen to be talented enough to still do fairly well at an EWS?

epicyclo

geex

…Does anyone really think certain riders should be banned from competing in all UCI events and have their names dragged throug mud because they like a wee smoke in the woods when building and riding Rad stunts and making vids but happen to be talented enough to still do fairly well at an EWS?

No.

But at least they could take up single speed riding. Intake of performance inhibiting substances is encouraged.

Never let the UCI near anything that is fun….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well maybe try some emojis to show you are not being serious, but to the point if you sign up for a sport at an elite level then you get a list of rules to abide by. If you don’t want to then you can go back to making edits in the woods.

But at this stage we don’t know who,what or where these things were picked up.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Nobody cares about recreational drugs in sport. In competition obviously you cant be high but out of competition nobody gives a bollocks.

The idea that being more prone to risk bringing a competitive edge is far fetched at best and also youd have to be doing whatever drug that is during competition.

Id guess somebody has popped for some steroid or something in a teinted supplement.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Also.. the uci have no credibility whatsoever when it comes to doping.

taxi25
    Free Member

Nobody cares about recreational drugs in sport. In competition obviously you cant be high but out of competition nobody gives a bollocks.

This seems to be true.

Similar to states like Colorado and California, WADA has been loosening its cannabis restrictions in recent years. In 2013, the committee upped the allowable limit of marijuana to 150 nanograms of THC per milliliter of blood. This translates to “smoke all you want, just not during competition.”

If anybody smokes enough to get an in completion ping, then there just plain stupid !!

singlespeedstu

No.

But at least they could take up single speed riding. Intake of performance inhibiting substances is encouraged.

I’ll smoke/snort/drink to that one.

I no longer even ride SS never mind race SS  but it was the SS attitude that dragged me away from real Enduro racing* towards kids toys** that you piss about on in the woods.

* bikes with engines and stuff

**Pushbikes which are far more fun and have much less regulation.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also.. the uci have no credibility whatsoever when it comes to doping.

And nothing to do with any testing at the EWS so far either….

dirkpitt74

So any ideas on who these ‘big names’ are?

Hoping it’s nothing too far reaching.

bonobo
    Free Member

Interestingly the forum post on Vital has been removed.

The editors say it was removed by the original forum poster.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Got to be people pretty close to the top or no one would be too bothered.

chrismac

Having been subject to doping control 20 years ago staying clean is easy. There is a website you log onto and it tells you wether any drug is legal or not and when. Some are ok out of season but banned in season etc. The site even records your search so you can prove you checked.

The reality is  that there is no way of proving an athlete is clean. All that can be proven is that you can pass doping control. That’s not the same thing

mikewsmith
    Free Member
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘EWS First Doping Failures’ is closed to new replies.