Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)
  • Elon Musk- Bit of a dick? Or a massive male chicken?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Summary of the tweets there. Musk seems to have left the conversation after that though. Looks like a massive twitter spat there

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I like the guy. Seems OK to me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Apparently, being a British ex patriot in Thailand is “sus” and grounds to slander someone.

Cock.

Daffy

He was asked to help – he did/tried.  It shouldve ended there, but folks with an agenda asked the question “why was Musk there?” The diver respinded honestly and Musk made the mistake of responding.  It was a dick move and he’s likely to get sued for slander and rightly so.

bails

How do you embed tweets like in the first post?

Edit: It’s done it!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Bit of a dick? Yes of course he is, people in his position and the millions of other high achievers who don’t get even near to what he’s done with his life fall into 2 camps IME, total ego driven dicks, and people who have learned to hide it. Really the best you can hope for is someone who can turn it off when they’re not working, but they never really are.

Doesnt make them bad people per-se, they’re just not easy people to like. They’re rarely friendly, rarely want to adhere to social norms like chit-chat and never, ever, for even a moment think your time is more valuable than theirs.

Unfortunately it’s the dicks of the world that do the big things, even if there’s an army of slightly less dickish people working behind the scenes to make it happen, leading a bigger army of even less dickish people etc.

As for the Sub, my 2p did he do it for just publicity? No.

Did he think, well I’ve got a sub and a load of sub experts and I can have them there in a day, it might help, it might not, but I’ve got the chance to help (and massively stroke my ego). Probably.

The last think someone with his personality wants is to have someone call him a fraud, it would likely get under his skin more than someone calling him any swear word you like, I mean he’s very vocal on Twitter, he probably gets called all sorts every day.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is the sub electric ? Is there a charge point outside the cave ? Has he built a power station to provide the leccy?

Bet he hasn’t.

chewkw
    Free Member

He offered/tried to help so I do not see any problem with that.

Well done to Elon Musk for trying and offering help.

sparksmcguff

Elon Musk – a male chicken of massive proportions. Unable to think beyond technology. Constantly mistaking his tech driven “solutions” for the world’s problems for actual solutions which includes alsorts not least people. The guys a one trick pony. And it was a shit trick (though one that made him 💰).

sparksmcguff

Claiming Musk offered to help so his lack of self control and slanderous behaviour is ok is ridiculous. Aside from his feeble motivations the reality is that he has slandered those who actually helped.

chewkw
    Free Member

Claiming Musk offered to help so his lack of self control and slanderous behaviour is ok is ridiculous. Aside from his feeble motivations the reality is that he has slandered those who actually helped.

His motivation is not important during the rescue mission so long as the children are rescued.  If his technology was used, fine, but it was not used so I do not see a problem in that.

Northwind

I have to admit, I was secretly disappointed that he didn’t get to deploy his thunderbirds bullshit to save those kids, that’d have been ace. So  I can understand why he too is peeved.

crazy-legs

It was wildly misguided “help”.

In much the same way that the army of massive **** outside Alder Hey hospital thought their actions were in any way “helping” any of those kids (Alfie Evans, Charlie Gard….) with terminal illnesses when their plights went viral.

One glance at a map of the cave system and the water depths would have told anyone that a submarine was not the answer. To “help” in that situation you leave it to the world’s foremost expert cave divers and perhaps give a load of your money to the hospital helping the kids, to buy some food / supplies for the rescue crew etc. Or maybe offer to charter a plane to fly those experts there quickly.

It was a massive publicity stunt, same as all his tech ideas. He just got in the way.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Puts up own money, time, employees, R&D to try to help while world leaders offered “thoughts and prayers”, and he has been constantly attacked for it ever since, can’t blame him for losing the rag.

How much money did you stump up Captain?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s not about the offer of help, it’s about the slander.

He’s a cock.

kcr
    Free Member

If he wanted to offer help, why not do it anonymously, so the Thai management team were not wasting valuable time dealing with his publicity machine? If the submarine had actually been useful, he could have Tweeted about it to his heart’s content after the kids were rescued.

The Thai response was polite, but made it pretty clear that Musk’s technology was not actually of any use in the rescue. It was their operation, their call, and Musk should probably just learn to keep quiet sometimes. He does occasionally come across as being a bit petulant and immature.

oldtennisshoes

The slander is out of order, but you either bend to the world (see Crazy-Legs post) or you try to make the world bend to you. Elon Musk does the latter and we need folk that do.

Del

Copy and paste still doesn’t work on Android/Chrome.

Anyone who thinks musk is a one-trick pony hasn’t followed much that he and his organisations have been up to. You can question his motivation all you want, but to deny the achievements made by space–x, Tesla etc. is blinkered to say the least.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Is the submarine as hideously “styled” as his cars?

plyphon
    Free Member

He’s a PR mastermind which is getting a bit thin and obvious, imo. Plus he is a dick on twitter.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Elon is a tech nerd bellend in the same vein as Zuckerberg, who in their egotism,lack of self awaremess and ignorance ; – feel that they always have the answers for questions or experts in other fields.

Daffy

The diver could have been a little more gracious.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The diver could have been a little more gracious.

I guess he wouldv’e been if he hadn’t realised it was all for publicity.

& Musk couldv’e said, ‘well the offers there should you need it’ & kept his gob shut after that.

DrJ

Seems like calling the diver a “pedo” is taking being a cock to a whole new level.

rene59
    Free Member

Can’t say I follow what is going on here but I’ll take a punt and say he is a cock. Most people with that kind of money are, you really need to be in order to get it in the first place.

batfink
    Free Member

By all means argue about the value of the sub, and whether it;s provision was just a PR stunt, but calling one of the divers (with very little in the way of provocation) a “pedo” just seems bizarrely petulant.

Given his number of followers, and the attention this has garnered – he’d better get his checkbook out, this is going to be expensive.

Edit:  Assuming the chap isn’t actually a paedo of course.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

PEDO.. is that like P.A.D.I ?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

He risks, of course,  a visit from the ‘British ex-pat guy’ who might be inclined, as Alexei Sayle once claimed he did in his argument with Descartes, to argue ’empirically’.

DezB
    Free Member

Something about Twitter isn’t there… Encourages people to put the first (and/or biggest) dickish thing they can think of out in public. Everyone has dickish thoughts, but too few these days seem to want to keep them to themselves.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Did Musk actually call the bloke a Pedo?

Bit odd, Shirley a typo.

The grammar and spelling types would be all over that..

butcher

His motivation is not important during the rescue mission so long as the children are rescued.  If his technology was used, fine, but it was not used so I do not see a problem in that.

Elon clearly doesn’t care much that they’ve been rescued, because he’s still banging on about it. He cares more about about his ego, and that anyone dared to suggest he didn’t have a better solution.

If he cared, he should have flown over there personally and presented his ideas. Not just throw a tweet out there that says ‘Umm, err, guys….I can do this better than you’.

I’ve supported Musk, despite the endless reports of him being a complete dick, treating his staff like shit and all the rest of it. But this is serious Donald Trump territory.

FuzzyWuzzy

I generally like Musk and think his initial offer of help etc. was genuine and he didn’t deserve all the shit about it only being for PR. But to say that about one of the rescuers makes him a complete tosser, I hope he apologises or someone pays to help the guy sue him.

nickc

I’m surprised people are jumping to the defence of Musk, who has a history of this stuff. And has even admitted that he has an issue with twitter. He’s called a bloke a pedo because his offer of help was turned down, that is “being a dick”.

whitestone
    Free Member

How it should have gone.

Musk: I’ve a mini submarine that you could use to rescue the kids
    Rescuers: How small is it?
    Musk: five metres long
    Rescuers: No, we mean width and height
    Musk: two metres by 1.5 metres
    Rescuers: It’s much too big, the smallest passage is 0.5m by 0.5m
    Musk: Ah. That won’t work then. Let me know if I can help in any way.
    Rescuers: OK. Thanks anyway.

retro83
    Free Member

Love Tesla and SpaceX, however it seems that much like Steve Jobs and other successful entrepreneurs, he’s a bit of a weapon.

The guy he called a ‘pedo’ knew the caves, correctly predicted where the kids were to within 200M and was who got the other British divers over, you know, the ones who actually found the kids.

retro83
    Free Member

Also there was a good post from the Aussie anaesthetist  dude. Here’s an exert regarding the Brits

By the time we arrived on site, local divers like Ben Reymenants and the awesome foursome from Britain (John Volanthen, Rick Stanton, Jason Mallinson and Chris Jewell) had already been doing the most extraordinary dives through the cave and laying the very robust rope which made all subsequent dives to the soccer team not only possible, but safe. The efforts and skill of these guys in blazing this trail cannot be underestimated. Following someone else’s line is very much easier than finding your own way. Rick and John not only found the children and coach alive, but conveyed the gravity of the situation to the rest of the world and thus the rescue started in earnest. The 4 Brits then did further supply dives to the soccer players, the coach and the four Thai Navy Seals which allowed them to prepare and sustain themselves for the rescue ultimately.

The whole thing is worth a read

I am sitting in the back of an RAAF C17 on the way back to Australia with Craig and the amazing Australian team members…

Posted by Richard Harris on Friday, July 13, 2018

petec
    Free Member

The grammar and spelling types would be all over that..

The americans (south africans?) don’t understand ligatures, so miss out the A. Similar to Coeliac, or Diarrhoea

cynic-al
    Free Member

CFH why are you so incensed at this?

Parents ex-pats or similar?

You seem to be taking it a little personally.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Elon Musk- Bit of a dick? Or a massive male chicken?’ is closed to new replies.