Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Electric drum kits
  • oldtennisshoes

The boy’s musical appetite has no bounds and a drum kit is next on the list.

He wants acoustic, I want electric. Any thoughts on the Roland V Drums (TD-4). I can pick up a set for <£200

thoughts?

johndoh
    Free Member

We were recommend a proper kit for size, spacing and that’s what they get to use in school. I love hearing the noise coming from it when our little girl gets it right \m/

goldfish24

Do not underestimate how loud an acoustic drum kit is, especially if you have neighbors or a pair of ears yourself. Kids can play pretty quiet mind, but they’re doing it wrong if it ain’t loud. There’s been some posts on here previously on e-drum kit recommends , have a search. Personally I’d say the td-4 is a safe bet, it’s what I started on. But true you need exposure to a real kit if the kid takes to it after a year or two.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    john_drummer
    Free Member

You can replace the batter heads on an acoustic kit with mesh heads. Same size, same feel, no noise. Apart from the cymbals. Which you can get mutes for

i had an Alesis electronic kit for a while. Liked the brain which allowed different sounds. Hated the pads, especially the kick pad. More noise through the floor than my acoustic kick drum. Well, maybe not, but it certainly wasn’t silent.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks guys – I’m going to have a look at an electric set over the weekend.

plumber
    Free Member

looking the future I’d much rather go with an electric kit drummer v acoustic in a band scenario

fatoldgit

OP,

Not sure where you are but i may be able to help out

check your profile for a message

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Alexis DM5 with mesh heads

Jakester
    Free Member

Also, don’t underestimate how loud an electric kit can be too.

The pad thumping can be even more annoying than hearing an acoustic kit, particularly through walls or floors from an upstairs room.

donks
    Free Member

I have the alesis dm10 with mesh heads and its really quite good for practice, jamming and a bit of recording. It’s in the cellar and to be fair I get no complaints from the wife as she watches her soaps and the neighbours either side claim to have never heard me!! Had it a couple of years now and nothing has fallen off or stopped working, it’s actually pretty well made (except for the snare arm which is a bit flimsy but easily sorted) and should hopefully keep me going for a while yet before new heads are required. The mesh bass drum is ok but can bounce like mad and may pick up the tiniest touch so you need a pedal that can neutralise this if possible. The mesh pads are very good though and imo well worth slashing out on. The cymbals aren’t too bad either which is usually the big downfall for electric kits.

Accoustic kits are the best obvs but if there’s only a small window of practice opportunity due to the noise then drums can easily get sidelined for easier, smaller and quieter instruments.

BillMC

‘well worth slashing out on. ‘

True rock’n’ roll spirit there

goldfish24

Hopefully not quite a thread hijack but whilst everyone’s here…

mostly aimed at John_drummer – are you saying you’d choose a mesh headed acoustic kit over an electronic kit? I haven’t tried meshes/mutes on my a-kit, is it actually fun to play or just good for practice? I enjoy getting a big kit sound through the headphones on my e-kit but miss the finesse of my a-kit (which is too loud to play at home)

john_drummer
    Free Member

For practice at home, yes I would, if I had the room for my acoustic kit. Benefit of that is you just need to swap the heads back when you have a gig / show, where for me an acoustic kit is far preferable

Unless I had the budget for a top end Roland kit. But then i’d probably spend it on a nice Drum Workshop or top end Sonor acoustic kit 😉

as it is my band has a permanent rehearsal room set up in a mill on the other side of town. Nobody gets annoyed by the noise up there

goldfish24

Cheers for the feedback. Might need to investigate mesh heads further then…

john_drummer
    Free Member

https://m.thomann.de/gb/remo_silent_stroke_tom_pack_fusion.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9dHKzsuA2wIVlGwbCh2FJghiEAQYBiABEgJiXvD_BwE

for the kick drum, stuff it completely with pillows. That just leaves the snare & cymbals to deal with

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Electric drum kits’ is closed to new replies.