Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Eewings stainless steel crank bolt
  • monkeyboyjc

managed to pick up a set of 2nd hand eewings, they are the originals with titanium 8mm hex crank bolt – crank brothers changed the design to a 14mm hex stainless steel bolt in later and current versions.

Is it worthwhile spending the £40 or so for one of these – has anyone had any experience of their ti bolt seizing?

I’d rather have the practicalities of an 8mm hex, but obviously don’t want it getting stuck!

noltae
    Free Member

Nope all good with the ti 8mm

solarider
    Free Member

Plenty of ti prep/moly paste and no problem here with the ti bolt on several pairs.

Not sure why Cane Creek changed to ss, but bear in mind that bi metallic corrosion will still be a risk with ti/ss. Maybe it was strength but I have used EE Wings for a number of years and Campag Super Record for many more (which also use a ti bolt) with no problems.

To answer your question, I would spend the £40 elsewhere.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I would spend the £40 elsewhere

Pink maybe?

Cane Creek eeWings Crank Preloader

monkeyboyjc

Not sure why Cane Creek changed to ss

Apparently they had several issues with the bolts seizing, may be to do with the high torque settings or something?

I’ve a later set with the 14mm ss bolt on my fatbike but started looking into buying an 8mm one as it’s more practical, and found that they changed the design. Previous owner of these cranks had issues with pedals seizing so it prompted the thread.

@monkeyboyjc – Did you end up buying a SS 14mm bolt?

Does it even fit the thread of previous Eewing cranks ?

Thanks 👍

RickDraper
    Free Member

The the newer 14mm hex bolt works fine on all versions of the Eewing’s.

monkeyboyjc

I ended up buying one, yes. & Yes they both fit, lucky to have another set on my other bike which I tried first.

The full story is that I have a set of fat bike eewngs and had set up and eBay notification for eewings as I was originally after an orange preload ring, which for some reason they stopped making. But a full set came up under spares or repairs because the owner had in thier words ‘twisted the right hand crank’ trying to remove a pedal. This I though was odd as it would take some serious force to twist them, but I fancied the left hand arm and axel as a spare as it ment I could fit my set to any of my bikes in the future if I wanted to.

Anyways, I stuck a bid on and won for £101…. When they arrived I could see that who ever had removed the pedal had clamped them in a vice (not the soft jaw type) and mashed some of the teeth for the herth joint on the arm. 5min later with a fine jewelry file and they were fixed – about 80% of the teeth are fine, so I’m pretty sure these will be fine to ride. Prob one of my better eBay bargains.

Its the pedal seizing story that prompted this thread.

I’ve only a before photo.

Sweet score!

I just bagged a set of wings today. Now all that red bull drinking will make full sense once fitted 🤣

Now just gotta source a sensibly priced ring and bb.

Thinking Unite and WMFG. As even basic bearing WMFG bbs are simply astounding quality and their threaded bb inner.
    Unite purely cause UK made and cheaper.

Any ideas on 32T rings and where to buy WMFG bbs suitable for 73mm BSA.

ONE LAST QUERY.
    I’ll be running set on a 135mm x QR rear frame with an 11speed GX setup therefore believe I am right in saying I need a 6mm off set ring???????????

monkeyboyjc

I went with a  works components ring in the end, was cheaper than a unite (£35 last week but £40 now🙄) and looks are similar to a absolute black. I also a unite ring with the titanium blue ceracote (sp?), But I didn’t gel with the colour – both unite and works components were super quick with delivery and look to be great quality etc.

As for bb’s unfortunately I’ve never got on with cheaper BSA threaded 30mm external bb’s, Ive owned race Face cranks for a number of years and went through their bb’s regularly. The cane creek hellbender I have on my fat bike has lasted but is horribly expensive, so I bought a hope for these to see how it goes. I didn’t realize they had there own standard though and also had to get an £11 tool to fit it….

6mm offset sound correct for a 135 rear

monkeyboyjc

guess a Wmfg ceramic BB would do 😜 – I was tempted when I bought the hope….

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wheels-Manufacturing/BSA-30-Bottom-Bracket-with-Ceramic-Bearings/EQ66

Everything fitted and working on the bike now. I guess I’ll see at the weekend if I did a good job with the  file…..

tomhoward

6mm offset sound correct for a 135 rear

Yep.

Thanking you for update, looking hot stuff!!

Yes the works look ideal pricing for the quality online viewing so far.
    Just trying to decipher if they have a 32T in my 6mm offset that I need.
    Just sent email so all will be well no doubt.

Now off to shop WHEELS MANUFACTURING for BBs.
    Wish me luck 😜

Thanks @tomhoward – I now seem to remember you stating this ages ago. 👍

Now that my EEWING story is coming to fruition, I wanted to double check see.
    🤣
    Thanks bud

tomhoward

I just bagged a set of wings today. Now all that red bull drinking will make full sense once fitted

Only if you drink it in Yorkshire.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.