Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Edinburgh – Things to do!
  • GlitterGary
    Free Member

Hi all, I’m off to Edinburgh on Sunday for a few days with the other half – I know my way round the city a bit, but haven’t been for a while.

What are the best pubs/places to eat? Nothing too swanky, as I’m poor. 😉

Also, any other recommendations for museums/galleries/other places to visit would be appreciated!

Cheers all!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Gallery of Modern Art is my fave

GlitterGary
    Free Member

TJ – Is that the one that is a short walk out of the city centre, to the north east of Princes Street?

druidh
    Free Member

The National Museum of Scotland has recently re-opened and is getting fantastic reviews (Chambers Street).

Assuming you’ve done Mary Kings Close / Camera Obscura?

Take a train out to North Berwick for the Seabird Centre.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

http://www.nationalgalleries.org/visit/118-introduction

Its west of the city centre. Nice walk up the river

rossi46
    Free Member

Id recommend Holyrood Park, and especially a climb up Arthurs Seat (dont worry, nothing rude!)- it’s not often you get a mountain in the middle of a city!
    And Dean Village, lovely little place that is literally under the city.

Garry_Lager

Central Edinburgh’s pretty poor for alehouses really. Don’t get me wrong, you can tan the bevvy with impugnity, but avoid places like Rose St. Nothing really outstanding on the Royal mile / grassmarket either. Guildford arms has very good ale and is v central (opposite Waverly), but isn’t a great pub for a session IMHO. Lots of decent boozers round the periphery of the centre. Cloisters on the south side is good, by the meadows which is a nice spot.

The Dogs is a very good restaurant – pretty straight-ahead food, nice place and not too pricey as I recall. Hanover St.

jamiep
    Free Member

I always recommend Scott Monument

konabunny
    Free Member

Take the tram to….oh.

bigjim

walk up the water of leith to spylaw park, nicecest park in Edinburgh.

Go to the pentland hills and walk up for the view over the city and beyond.

Go to Cramond and have a walk around the river, coast, and if tides permit, over the causeway there and back for some pub grub.

Explore interesting/pretty parts of the city like Dean Village/modern art gallery, the old town, regent terrace area, botanic gardens.

pretend to be a loud american at the castle

meet TJ

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

The camera obscura and world of illusions is good fun:

http://www.camera-obscura.co.uk/

arrpee
    Free Member

Casual evening walk up Calton Hill?

(shhh)

dukeduvet

Have a trip down to Leith. You could spend some time down by the Shore, some good pubs places to eat there. Try Out of the Blue which is an arts centre, on Saturdays they have quite cool flea markets and stuff on.

Water of Leith is my fave place, Blue Goose has a beer garden too. Caley Sample room is another fave bar of mine, good food but pricey.

Centre try National Museum or Portrait Gallery. Morningside and Stockbridge are good for hanging out at cafes and stuff.

Enjoy your visit!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Visit TJ’s House of Trolls.

😉

sas78

Re: Boozers – there’s Kays Bar – which is an institution – Jamaica St just off India Street. The Cumberland – great food/beer and is at the East end of Cumberland St, in the New Town. The Dogs is good but I prefer Sea Dogs on Rose St, which is ridiculously cheap for food at the standard it is. Enjoy your stay here!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Some excellent suggestions here folks, many thanks for the ideas!

We’ll be there for 3 days so should be able to fit quite a bit in, I usually pay just a fleeting visit when in town.

I’m not sure the lady will appreciate TJ’s House of Trolls though… 😆

sas78 – those two pubs look great, I appreciate the local knowledge people!

argyle
    Free Member

this sunday as a bit of a rare treat they are opening St Bernards Well to the public http://www.edinburghguide.com/venue/stbernardswell

bigjim

Casual evening walk up Calton Hill?

😆

The belt of trees at atlantic drive is ‘interesting’ too, when I was a tree surveyor for the council, we found more men than trees in it.

hels
    Free Member

sas78 is that the Official Yah Tour ?? Last time I was in the Cumberland, so was Prince William.

Best proper pub in town is still the Bow Bar on Victoria St IMHO.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Am I likely to see Prince William then? I do hope so!

coogan
    Free Member

Food options, my fav place to eat. Great food and some lovely wine. Just a really chilled out wee place:
    http://www.eccovinoedinburgh.com/

The Outsider has great food too.

fasthaggis

If you have time ,there is a test day on Arthur Seat today at 10.00.
    Most mountain bike brands ( and a selection of sizes)will be available,no booking required.
    Enjoy.

bigjim

really? or april fool?

ojom
    Free Member

Jim… Really?

bigjim

I’m very gullible…

sas78

Hels- if you leave your prejudices at the door these are great boozers. I managed to get over my working class chip on the shoulder years ago- it’s really quire liberating.

stuarty
    Free Member

If you want to avoid gay bar/pubs check food menu first no vegtables listed equals gay bar

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh – Things to do!’ is closed to new replies.