Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • Drug use in the office – your thoughts and experience, please
  • druidh
    Free Member

Is that “building tolerance” the same as alcoholics manage? So it’s OK that someone permanently drunk is allowed to drive?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Seriously, did no-one ever tell some of you – no-one likes a tell tale 😆

Its a tough one, if you speak to him, he might suddenly have it in for you and start plotting your downfall. Do you want to lose your job because of a bitter pot-head? What sort of relationship does he have with his boss? What sort of relationship do you have with his boss? Beware office politics.

Of course you could just do what most office workers do – gossip behind his back. By the time it gets round everyone and back to you he’ll be a 60 a day recovering smackhead who is now addicted to pot, having an affair with Jill from personnel (beacuse they coincidentally booked the same day off together) who cross-dresses in his spare time.

Lifer
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    Is that “building tolerance” the same as alcoholics manage? So it’s OK that someone permanently drunk is allowed to drive?

It means it takes more of something to have the same effect. Don’t know what drunk driving’s got to do with it though?

sbob
    Free Member

butcher – Member

Building tolerance is a myth too, I’ve smoked plenty enough to know that.

With all due respect, you’re talking out of your brown hole.

I smoked a lot of pot when I was a lad (partly for medical reasons, partly for recreation) and built up a huge tolerance.
    I smoked five buckets before my GCSE maths exam and got 100%, using only two-ninths of the time allotted, and then did a huge victory jump down some stairs on my rigid GT to great applause.

Two tokes now and I’d be **** with an inability to either think coherently or move.

sbob
    Free Member

druidh – Member

To be drunk is to be under the influence, so not tolerant. 💡

alfabus
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter how much he is taking, or how much he can handle. He is doing something which is both illegal and against the terms of his contract.

If someone in a position of power finds out, he will (or should) be marched out the door and dismissed.

OP knows about it, which puts him in an awkward position. There are 2 things he can do. Ignore it, or report it.

Having a quiet word with the guy warning him == ignoring it. You risk him mentioning in his eventual dismissal hearing that everyone in the office knew (and he’ll be able to name you). Not a situation I’d want to be in.

My opinion: report him.

Dave

thomthumb
    Free Member

strawman. our drink drive limits are not based on ability, they are based on a quantative measure of the blood.

alfabus
    Free Member

I smoked five buckets before my GCSE maths exam and got 100%, using only two-ninths of the time allotted, and then did a huge victory jump down some stairs on my rigid GT to great applause.

are memory loss and exaggeration side effects? 😉

Dave

seosamh77
    Free Member

butcher – Member
    Building tolerance is a myth too, I’ve smoked plenty enough to know that.

you’ve not smoked nearly enough then…tolerance to weed comes on fairly quickly and disappears just a quick.

My advice to the OP would be don’t be a knob and go to the bosses. A simple heads up to the guy that it’s fairly noticeable will do the trick… He’ll probably s*** himself that people are noticing.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I wish some of the people here were on drugs. Life might be bearable.

Lifer
    Free Member

alfabus – Member
    OP knows about it, which puts him in an awkward position. There are 2 things he can do. Ignore it, or report it.

Having a quiet word with the guy warning him == ignoring it. You risk him mentioning in his eventual dismissal hearing that everyone in the office knew (and he’ll be able to name you). Not a situation I’d want to be in.

Or have a word with him first, if he stops problem solved if not go to the boss.

Northwind

To be frank, i’ve had quite a few bosses that could have benefitted from a little smoke. And I’ve had other bosses whose decision-making process seemed heavily influenced by drugs, even though they were sober.

Personally I’d fit the decision to the exact circumstances, which only you know. It’s indecorous what he’s doing, and morally wrong, but it’d be material impacts that’d concern me. Look at the big picture, judge his performance not his practices.

I’d be swithering about letting him know that I know… Because if it’s known that you know, and you don’t act, and it goes tits up…

alfabus
    Free Member

Or have a word with him first, if he stops problem solved if not go to the boss.

Wouldn’t help in my job – regular drug tests, so they would find out soon enough and sack him. If I’d spoken to him and pissed him off, he might try to take me down too.

OPs job may not be as strict, in which case he might be able to get away with it. I’d rather not mess with my income for the sake of being nice to someone I didn’t like.

Dave

butcher

Two tokes now and I’d be **** with an inability to either think coherently or move.

The first couple of times after a long time out always hit you hard. That’s true. Just like when you get a head rush from nicotine if you haven’t smoked in a while. But outside of that you just get used to it. You don’t build tolerance. You still feel stoned smoking the same amount. That’s my experience, and the experience of others I’ve smoked with.

yunki
    Free Member

😀

There’s a theory that criminalising natural acts of medicinal intoxication could well be the cause of many of society’s problems

alcol70
    Free Member

OP knows about it, which puts him in an awkward position.

THANK YOU! This is the OTHER nub of the matter 🙂

BTW, he does suffer from migraines. But even so… bottom line he’s high in the workplace.

alcol70
    Free Member

But banging on a J an hour before he can go home? Really??

skids
    Free Member

It’s better to talk to the guy rather than grass him up, that just makes you look bad and it could backfire

seosamh77
    Free Member

alcol70 – Member
    But banging on a J an hour before he can go home? Really??

It’s not really a hanging offence imo. saying that, I’ve been stoned at work in the past, so i’m obviously biased here! 🙂

billysugger
    Free Member

This thread is another Ned-magnet.

RiNg ThE PoLiCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just tell him he smells of weed see what he does. If he still does the same in a couple of weeks tell the boss. He might not like you but you wont die*

*Unless he loses his job, wife, kids, ability to buy weed and decides you were the source of his downfall.

Northwind

alcol70 – Member

THANK YOU! This is the OTHER nub of the matter

But who knows you know?

Well, us obviously. And presumably all the folks who want you to grass him up (so to speak) are also dead keen to grass on you 😉

enfht
    Free Member

I guess it’s to be expected that some of the **** frequenting this forum would be suggesting the OP makes a sneaky phone call to the plod. Enjoy your Christmas lunch booze ups and mind you dont fall off your high horses.

To the OP just loudly announce “oh it stinks of skunk in here” and the penny will drop.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Personally, I’d be arranging my breaks at the same time as his! Free weed, what’s not to like? :mrgreen:

alfabus
    Free Member

I guess it’s to be expected that some of the **** frequenting this forum would be suggesting the OP makes a sneaky phone call to the plod. Enjoy your Christmas lunch booze ups and mind you dont fall off your high horses.

a) sneakily smoking weed at work.
    b) going to an office party, drinking alcohol (no driving).

yeah, no difference between those is there.

(edited to remove unnecessary stooping to his level.)

yunki
    Free Member

awful, awful people.. ridiculous 😆

loum
    Free Member

?
    aggression problems?

edited due to another edit withdrawing a comment.
    of course, it makes no sense now

billysugger
    Free Member

Yes because you’re better than him.

alfabus
    Free Member

Yes because you’re better than him.

It was a response to being called a ‘****’… it wasn’t necessary, so I removed it. Problem?

Dave

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

+2

sbob
    Free Member

alfabus – Member

are memory loss and exaggeration side effects?

Dave

OK, replace “great applause” with “shouts of ‘stack it you ****'”.

The rest is true.

enfht
    Free Member

a) sneakily smoking weed at work.
    b) going to an office party, drinking alcohol (no driving).

yeah, no difference between those is there.

alfabus slurs from his high horse whilst spilling whiskey from his hip flask..

Should the OP also grass his collegues who have a couple of pints at lunch?

alfabus
    Free Member

yes. if it affects their work OR if alcohol has been made illegal.

enfht
    Free Member

OK because it’s illegal, right. I wish I saw the world as clearly as you do alfabus.

IT’S THE LAWWWWWWWW 🙄

Were you called “little grassy pissy pants” or similar in school?

butcher

Seriously? I have never once worked anywhere where people went for a couple of pints at lunch, or where it would be deemed acceptable in any way. I suspect I wouldn’t have a job for very long if I tried it.

Time and a place and all that. Work is not really the place for drinking and smoking weed.

enfht
    Free Member

Work is not really the place for drinking and smoking weed

Totally agree. One or the other. Alcohol ruins a nice spliff imo.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

who cross-dresses in his spare time

this is getting serious…

Is Richard Branson your boss?

Lifer
    Free Member

butcher – Member

Seriously? I have never once worked anywhere where people went for a couple of pints at lunch, or where it would be deemed acceptable in any way. I suspect I wouldn’t have a job for very long if I tried it

Used to go for the 3 pint challenge with 10/12 others pretty much every lunchtime at an office I used to work at.

Worked in a postroom where 5 out of the 8 staff would quoff from their hip flasks throughout the day, one delivery driver got done for drunk driving.

Worked at a Games Developer where we used have beer at your desk Friday, people used to get paralytic by lunchtime.

Current job have people taking clients out for lunch etc, not unusual for a few drinks to be consumed!

butcher

Totally agree. One or the other. Alcohol ruins a nice spliff imo.

Your wrong.

It goes perfectly with a pint. So long as you keep it to a pint, and not a couple of dozen pints (followed by floating around the room aiming for the most appropriate place to puke).

joolsburger
    Free Member

One of the most capable managers I ever had was often stoned on the job, well he certainly liked a smoke at lunchtime anyway. Some people are perfectly able to function having smoked a bit of weed in much the same way as lots of people have a couple of pints at lunch. I’d suggest a quiet word saying that people have noticed his behaviour/the smell is the best bet initially.

yunki
    Free Member

So long as you keep it to a pint, and not a couple of dozen pints (followed by floating around the room aiming for the most appropriate place to puke).

this is what marks you out as an amateur..

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Drug use in the office – your thoughts and experience, please’ is closed to new replies.