Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Does anyone know for definite what the Specialized Hi-Lo rear hub is?
  • tomstickland
    Free Member

Specialized Camber 2011 with Hi-Lo rear hub. It has two sealed bearings in it and a freewheel assembly in the middle. I’ve totally munched it now – freewheel is wobbly and the ratchet is wrecked.

I did some google searching and there were several claims that it was a debadged DT Swiss hub, but some other’s said it was made by Commencal (or some other French sounding name?).

Does anyone know for sure who makes it?
    Is it worth fixing? Seems a real waste of a wheel that’s only 6 months old.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

6 months, I’d try warranty on that one, seems a bit piss poor really

tomaso
    Free Member

If you go to your dealer or failing that a Specialized Concept store the freehub body costs about a tenner and is easy to fit if you have a 12mm allen key. The bearings are standard and available easily. All in should only cost you £15 to get the wheel running like new.

tomstickland
    Free Member

I’ve already replaced the bearings. That was a few months ago.
    The main free hub is what’s broken.
    It looks like you need a special tool to remove it. It’s got two big slots in it on the inside. I can’t see how a 12mm alley key would do it, but I’ll look again more closely.

I’ll ask at the shop.

tomstickland
    Free Member

Someone told me that it’s Commencal. I’ll take a look. Maybe it’s like this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=72295

tomstickland
    Free Member

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/specialized-hi-lo-142-hub-764972.html

They say that Formula make it.

This is another look at a Commencal free wheel assembly and mine looks nothing like this. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=76932

These guys say Formula or Joytech
    http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/2011-specialized-camber-eliter-29er-oem-free-hub-problem-739247.html

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve already replaced the bearings. That was a few months ago.
    The main free hub is what’s broken.

Did you buy it new? This is not acceptable performance TAKE IT BACK!!!!

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I had one fail – specialized replaced it under warranty

tomaso
    Free Member

If you take the bearings out of the non-freewheel side you should be able to then fit the 12 mm allen key through the hub body to the the head of the bold the secures the freewheel onto the hub. Once undone the whole freewheel comes off a splined fitting and can be junked. Replacing it is easy once you’ve got this far.

baznav73
    Free Member

The free hubs on these wheels are rubbish, both of our shop demo bikes freehubs have failed after very little use and specialized replaced them under warranty.

tomstickland
    Free Member

The shop gave me a new free wheel assembly for free today.
    They said that someone else who’d bought the same model had the same problem and their’s failed after a few months too.

Looks like the 12mm allen key thing is true actually.
    So maybe this is a Commencal part.

As long as I can get a year or so out of these wheels then I won’t feel so sad about replacing them after that. It’s a bit sad though that Specialized are using these parts – it seems a real waste to have throw away wheels on a bike.

Speshpaul

How much was your Camber? Good value? well somethings got to give. And you won’t be throwing a away wheels, at worst its a replacement hub.
    But good news on the free free hub.

tomaso
    Free Member

I had hi-lo hubs on my Pitch and replaced them after a year because of the poor seals on the bearings and freewheel. But they are still going strong on the mrs’ bike and have held up well to plenty of abuse.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone know for definite what the Specialized Hi-Lo rear hub is?’ is closed to new replies.