Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Does anyone have the Spear & Jackson Cordless Lawnmower & Strimmer?
  • bearnecessities

Bit of a niche thread, but what the heck.

I’ve only small lawns and the reviews & price seem too good to be true.

Any long-term experiences from here? I’m particularly attracted to the price, small pack-away-ability & fast charging.

Ta 🙂

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7459238?

dc1988

I don’t have the above, but I did fairly recently get a cordless strimmer and it’s fantastic so I wouldn’t go back to corded. Mine was a Lidl special and is actually really really good.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Bought a black and decker 36v one (not cheap) lasted 6 months the brushless motor is shagged.

Went back to petrol Husqvarna…

Small garden fine, proper work no chance.

trail_rat
    Free Member

No experiance of those but let’s just look at them…. Looks like kids toys.

grim168
    Free Member

I have. Bought them a few weeks ago. We’ve only got small lawns. A lot easier than messing with extensions. Batteries interchangeable. Grass box a bit flimsy but OK. They’re not bad for the money. Battery life OK too. No regrets here.

goldfish24

Niche? You don’t know this forum well enough – this thread ticks a lot of boxes.

Anyway,

I can vouch for cordless lawnmowers being great. Quiet and no local air pollution for a start. Can’t believe I still have to put up with my neighbours two strokes.

I have the makita dlm380z. Mower on its own cost about the same as that kit mind, so bit more of an investment but I’m happy. I already had the batteries and charger (which is a slab of cash on its own) but they’re justified for the other tools they run.

I dunno, could be worth a shot on the spear and Jackson if you’re happy you won’t be asking too much of it.

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for cordless in general. We’ve got Stihl mower and strimmer and it wasn’t that much more. Does the job well. We’ve got a big garden but only mow little sections and it’s great for that. Still have to listen to the neighbours petrol mowers but it’s nice and quiet while the wife is mowing

johndoh
    Free Member

I just got a Bosch strimmer to go with my Power4All batteries- it’s great! Beside the convenience of no cables, I love the auto feed of strimmer wire and it’s just so much more effective than my old Flymo thing – I’ve done the whole of our quite large garden and the path to the side of our house and it hasn’t missed a beat.

thebunk

This isn’t very helpful but you can get a Makita with 4 big batteries (2 are part of a redemption offer) and a dual charger for £350 atm, which if you happen to want a cordless mower and loads of Makita batteries is a bit of a bargain. No strimmer though.

https://www.radmoretucker.co.uk/shop/garden-machinery/cordless-garden-tools-and-accessories/cordless-garden-tools/makita-dlm382ct2-twin-18v-lxt-cordless-lawnmower-38cm-kit/

prontomonto

I have had that lawnmower for 2 years, it’s been great, love having no cord. It’s so easy that I’m more inclined to cut the lawn regularly, which in turn means it takes less time. FIL just bough the same one. Don’t know anything about the strimmer

bearnecessities

Ta very much; think I’ll give it a try. Can’t justify £350 for just a lawnmower with Stihl, as nice as that would be.

Alex

After a thrilling thread I started on here a few weeks ago, we bought a Worx https://www.worx-uk.com/shop/garden-tools/lawn-mowers/worx-40v-2x20v-cordless-lawn-mower-wg779e-2/

Already had the strimmer and hydroshot washer so no brainer in terms of batteries.

It’s been fantastic, so much less hassle than the old petrol one. and managed to get through a large wet lawn that had sprouted some inches since it’s last mow.

So no exp of the one you linked to, but a thumbs up for cordless mowers.

bearnecessities

Can I just say, after being the OP, how genuinely grateful I am for the breadth of advice available from here?

I was really specific about a slightly crappy £200 lawnmower and strimmer set from Argos, to look after my really quite small garden. I was worried I’d be flamed, but I actually got some really useful feedback and also from a couple of people that actually owned them. Someone mocked, but that’s fine.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that because some **** said Stihl I’m nearly £600 down and I’m going to get killed by the missus in the next few days.

Cheers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that because some **** said Stihl I’m nearly £600 down and I’m going to get killed by the missus in the next few days.

Indeed but she will never have to buy another lawnmower to mow the ground under which you end up buried when she finds out…..

stingmered

I have the exact same S&J strimmer. It’s been good though only really used it for edges around a largish lawn areas (rather than cutting an entire lawn.) Also occasionally for a bit of wild area brush cut-back. Seems fairly economical on the strimmer wire, though I’ve been buying unofficial stuff off Amazon for half the price which seems to work too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone have the Spear & Jackson Cordless Lawnmower & Strimmer?’ is closed to new replies.