Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Does anyone else remember Joey Deacon ?
  • kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

He was a disabilitist on Blue Peter, everyone at my school in the 80’s called each other a Joey or a Deacon or a Deaconoid etc.

My mates have not heard of him !

jedi

the ultimate 80’s put down at school

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes!! I think everyone was a Joey at some point or other at school.

Rachel

singlecrack
    Free Member

Oh yes fond memories 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

Quite an impressive story about how could communicate through his friend.
    When did political correctness begin? 😕

snaps
    Free Member

Always caused a titter as my grans pet budgie was called Joey.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Deacon

gamo
    Free Member
    M6TTF
    Free Member

There used to be an awesome homage website but its been taken down

thegman67

The guy is a legend

gamo
    Free Member

Still remember the jokes!
    Q What is Joey Deacons ambition A To lick his left ear!
    we were about 6 at the time 😳

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It was an attempt by blue Peter to get kids to accept people with disabilities more, and to show they are also real people just like anyone else, but sadly, they seriously underestimated just how cruel kids can be, and it kind of backfired.

I still cringe now if I hear or read the expression used, it’s horrible. Truly nasty.

Same with:

Biffa = Spina Bifida

Flid = Thalidomide victim.

Spaccer/Spac/Spaz = Spastic (Cerebral Palsy)

Mong = Mongol (Downs Syndrome)

And probbly numerous others.

Fortunately most people grow up though, and realise the use of such expressions is really hurtful and dehumanising.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Thanks Elfin. I’m staggered at (most of) the previous posts, really disappointed.

[edit] and to the OP – pot, kettle, black… wrong forum…?

nuke

Grew up in Caterham (Upper) and lived about a mile away from St Lawrence’s hospital where Joey Deacon lived for most of his life and I often saw him around the place. The hospital is mostly shut down now and the Mead along Rook Lane is finally being sold off…it’s very sad for the residents and community.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Never heard of him

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

joeydeacon – Member

Never heard of him

I salute you Sir Deacon of Joey

franksinatra

I’m staggered at (most of) the previous posts, really disappointed.

Stop being such a Joey

cynic-al
    Free Member

This really is humour for idiots.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Those making certain comments ought to be mindful of the fact that there are people on here who have loved ones who suffer with such terrible conditions, who may find some of the ‘jokes’ incredibly offensive and upsetting.

Grow up ffs. You wouldn’t make such ‘jokes’ in the presence of those who suffer, or who have to care for sufferers, so don’t make them on here.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Yawn

donsimon
    Free Member

5-4-3

gonetothehills
    Free Member

This is not and never was funny. Take a long look at yourselves if you think it is.

Houns

Bunch o’tards

allthegear
    Free Member

I think that a lot of the people that remarked on the use of the term ‘joey’ were reminiscing about their childhood and how it was such a popular word at the time. That doesn’t mean that they would approve of its use now – those same people have grown up now.

When I was little, I’m sure I used it. I wouldn’t even think of it now.

Rachel

jedi

+1 allthegear

winterfold
    Free Member

yes – everytime someone 40+ sees my AM41s

am starting to understand just how much you need to judge people you have never met and dont know to ‘fit in’ on this forum…

MrSmith
    Free Member

hang on a minute what about Stan?
    everyone talks about Joey but it was Stan who translated the belming for Joey’s fans.

Garry_Lager

Pretty sure that was Ernie.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

I also bet the PC Brigade like cynic-al al and elfin think that “Little Britain” “Come fly with me” et al are racist, sexist, gheyist etc. Very narrow horizons indeed.

duntstick
    Free Member

Bad,bad crappy TROLL zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I also bet the PC Brigade like cynic-al al and elfin think that “Little Britain” “Come fly with me” et al are racist, sexist, gheyist etc. Very narrow horizons indeed.

Ooh look Al, an attempt at justification!

And he called you ‘PC Brigade!’ And basically sed you smell of wee.

You should duff him up after school.

cynic-al
    Free Member

KKF I don’t watch Little Britain. It’s crap. Actually the vomiting woman is ,OK.

The point is if you say on a public forum how funny it was to laugh at Joey it just doesn’t show you in the best light-you may well be ok but it’s not looking like that way.

I prob look like a right misogynist tonight, hopefully folk know I was having a half-laugh.

samuri
    Free Member

I know two disabled chaps who refer to themselves as spastics. It gets them a laugh and it breaks the ice.

Only the people who laugh nastily need to look at themselves long and hard, the rest need to get out of their own arseholes. Disabled people have senses of humour just like the rest of us and use it just as often as the rest of us do.

tazzymtb

to be fair we still had the spastics society until the early 90’s so calling someone a spaz or joey was fairly normal for a wee kid in the 80’s.

Times and language change, in another 20 years we may just refer to everyone whatever their colour, physical or mental ability, sexuality etc.. as an “elfin” as by then he will have taken over the world and anyone over 4ft 6 will have been put to sword in his new world order 😯

bigG
    Free Member

Pour soul, I remember feeling uncomfortable at school with this being used as an insult. It’s not improved any with age.

Plenty of insults in my vocabulary that have the desired effect without trawling up the oldies but not so goodies

jambon
    Free Member

+1 For Ernie.

I reckon he just made up what Joey said as no one else could understand him.

‘Lost yer shoe in the river’…

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

omg i ant called no one that for years lol

billyboulders
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

It was an attempt by blue Peter to get kids to accept people with disabilities more, and to show they are also real people just like anyone else, but sadly, they seriously underestimated just how cruel kids can be, and it kind of backfired.

I still cringe now if I hear or read the expression used, it’s horrible. Truly nasty

Cr@p

He is a legend from my childhood alongside Mohammed Ali, Barry Sheene, Evel Knievel, Neil Armstrong etc.

Joey via his mate Tom (who was the only one who could communicate with him – and told us his life story, although I must admit I always wondered why no-one ever qustioned this) and Blue Peter taught me what “Spastics” as Joey via Tom was known were all about. Times were different then there was no “care in the community” as it was christened in Thatch’s era. All the local “spastics” we’re “kept”/ cared for in the local crumbling old converted mansion house around my way (as Joey himself was for most his life). As a 9-10 year old boy Joey’s story, especially presented by Janet Ellis 😉 taught me alot about people who, in those days, I would have otherwise have had no real contact with.

BTW. I was looking at those teardrop mini caravan things earlier with my 11 year old daughter. One had the model name “The Joey” I’m guilty, I LOL’d. She didn’t get it, sadly.

When did political correctness begin?

This.

birdage

Grew up in Caterham. He was a guy that lived there. Get a life.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

“care in the community”

sadly that was responsible for the deaths of many, some people should have never been let out.

spacemonkey

**** hell Elf, you have a sensitive side. +1 mate.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone else remember Joey Deacon ?’ is closed to new replies.