Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Does anybody use a portable bike stand on the trail?
  • bootsonthegrounduk
    Free Member

I have the haibike all MTN 7. And occasionally I want to grab a good picture on the trail. I have no way to hold my bike up on say.. fire trails. DO they make telescopic bike stands you can put in your pocket and use whenever?

Also, want a cheapish way to lift the back wheel off the ground when I get to the car so can clean it properly. Any suggestions?

trail_rat
    Free Member
    convert

I have the haibike all MTN 7. And occasionally I want to grab a good picture on the trail. I have no way to hold my bike up on say.. fire trails. DO they make telescopic bike stands you can put in your pocket and use whenever?

Is this a wind up? 🙂

Get off bike, walk 5m to the left or right. Find stick. Return to bike and balance.

Or………..take photo of scenery, not your bike.

oikeith

I have a FJM Custom Bike Stand, it inserts into the cranks and lifts the rear wheel of the floor and you can still pedal the cranks, great for cleaning and also taking to a trail head instead of leaning my bike against my car or on the ground to be run over.

There was a cheaper topeak one, but it was plastic vs metal so I went FJM.

For trail pics, you just got to find something to balance against the bike like a stand leg, so look for a stick is my suggestion.

molgrips
    Free Member

IMO if you prop up your bike with a stand to take pictures you’ll just look like a poseur. I like my pics to look natural so I just lean it on something or put it on the ground. It’s in the picture to symbolise the freedom of the ride and to add to the context of the picture. I don’t do it to show my bike off. Who cares about my bike?

fadda

The latter doesn’t need a “portable” stand, just something like a pedal/bb stand (Andy stand?) which could be kept in the boot of your car. And the former is surely a job for a stick…?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I never head out for a ride without one of these.

https://shadowstand.com/

zilog6128

Is this a wind up?

this 😂

As above, log/rock/tree/anything really… but why would you want a pic of a riderless bike?! Prop your phone up or even better get a Gorillapod etc and take one of YOU on the bike!

Or get a drone? 😃

this is the solution you deserve though 🤣

**** me I’ve seen it all now 😂 the photos at the bottom make it look like the Rapture has happened

wordnumb
    Free Member

Is this a wind up?

You’ll definitely be wanting a stand if the wind’s up.

Drac

slowol

I think this website may show the thing you are after for a prop to use on rides. Designed to avoid the fun of trying to pick up an overloaded touring bike every time you stop in the middle of nowhere. Can’t see why an e bike should be significantly different.
    http://www.click-stand.com

theotherjonv

From the link above…

This stand delivers the coveted 9-3 crank position

Get in the invisible sea, why don’t you?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Can’t see why an e bike should be significantly different

I take it you’re new to this?

slowol

@dangeourbrain
    Oops… 😂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

With the chain on the smaller chainring.

superdan

Who needs a stand? It’s all about balance!

Bonus points if you can get yourself in the pic 😀

superdan

This turned into a bit of a lockdown project…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

And yet they’ve failed to get any of the cranks in the promo photos in the 9 3 position. I’m tempted to email them send point this out, along side the fact you can’t “curate” a singular anything.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

This turned into a bit of a lockdown project

Afixing mountain bikers to invisible crucifix on top of hills?

cookeaa

I think you have to respect the business model for the ‘click stand’… Re-engineer the humble stick, charge people £50 odd quid for said stick, sit back and laugh…

Genius.

superdan

It got a bit lonely in lockdown.

stumpy01

erm, people might scoff at this but a mate of mine asked me to design something like this as he often needs a prop for bike shots (he works in the bike industry & does a lot of social meeja updates etc.). A lot of the gravel riding he has been doing means there are often no sticks etc to be found.

I’ve been working on an adjustable, universal, discrete stand; 3-D printed of course. We tried it out recently & found it is actually very hard to make the fitment at the bike end universal. On all of my bikes the stand caught the bottom edge of the BB, but on his gravel bike the cranks are larger than the BB, so there is no visible edge to catch.
    It’s also quite hard to make a foot that works on a multitude of surfaces and is compact to fit in a bag with minimum bulk or weight.
    It went off the boil for a while but I could do with picking it back up again. I was considering selling them on ebay, but want a design I am happy with before going further.

thols2

Is this a wind up?

Obviously. A gentleman would have his manservant hold the bicycle while the photograph was posed.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Does anybody use a portable bike stand on the trail?’ is closed to new replies.