• This topic has 40 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by richc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Do you leave your dog all day in the garden?
  • zippykona

Chances are I might have to look after my parent’s dog. He is currently with people all day.
    Won’t be able to take him to work so is 9 to 5 indoors or outdoors better?
    I’d leave the shed open so he would have shelter and drinks.
    The garden is secure.
    It will be bit of a shock for him to be alone.
    What do the stw dog owners do?
    Edit he will get a 3 mile walk before I leave for work.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Outside rather than inside.

mikey74
    Free Member

Paying for kennels would be better than leaving the pooch on its own all day.

Alpha1653

How secure is your garden? It’s might stop the dog getting out but people getting in? People nicking dogs is getting more commonplace – either to sell if they’re pedigree or use as bait for fighting. Not saying it’d definitely happen but just something to consider.

Also, if the dog’s going to get bored, get ready for destruction. If on the odd occasion I can’t take mine to work, she stays in a crate from when I leave til when I’m back with a dog walker visiting in the day.

If the dog’s not crate trained and/or you can’t get a dog walker, I’d definitely go for kennels as Mikey74 says: far safer and less stressful for the dog.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I wouldn’t where I live…..because of foxes
    Yep even greater London we get foxes….and they ain’t scared no more….

br
    Free Member

Paying for kennels would be better than leaving the pooch on its own all day.

What, better they are stuck in kennels with other barking dogs when they could be able to roam around the garden/shed – or more likely lay in the sun? Are you people made of money?

Our dog spent the first 4-5 years outside during the day, big covered cage with a smaller kennel inside.

Occasional visits from one of our neighbours for a midday walk and he got walked when we got home.

Never a problem.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I wouldn’t where I live…..because of foxes
    Yep even greater London we get foxes….and they ain’t scared no more…

What is a fox going to do to a dog?

A fox is an animal that hunts alone and takes small prey. Their jaws are relatively weak.

A dog is a pack animal that hunts larger animals and have a much stronger jaw.

andygreener

Another option could be to look at a ‘dog holiday’. In my opinion much, much better than kennels. Have used these before – http://www.barkingmad.uk.com/

flowerpower
    Free Member

My two live outside all day in rural Scotland. The local foxes don’t seem to have got them yet 😆

BUT it will take a while for him to acclimatise, if you just chuck him out and leave him expect constant barking, a clawed / chewed back door, holes dug in the lawn, an escaped dog or something similar… of course it will depend on his character, but as you say a sudden change from his routine, while being unsupervised, will result in a stressed dog, weather he acts out or not.

Can you build it up slowly? Leave him out for 10 minutes, 20 minutes, an hour… etc? Dog walkers, doggy day care etc are options but expensive. Friendly neighbours might help by checking on him and giving him fuss. If you do leave him then obviously have his own basket / blanket in the shed and alternate which toys you leave him with. Kongs, sprinkling some of his dry feed on the grass rather than feeding all in a bowl or chews all help to distract them.

In reality they sleep a lot of the day anyway, but you need to put in the groundwork to ensure that he is relaxed / happy enough in his new place to sleep.

Good luck.

DezB
    Free Member

If you don’t care about your neighbours and those within a mile radius of your house, outside is fine.

My dog was left in my (then strange to her) garden and she barked constantly. Indoors, one neighbour annoyed, outside… loads!

Foxes? 😆 her fave meal.

wwaswas

If you don’t care about your neighbours and those within a mile radius of your house, outside is fine.

this.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Depends whether you want to piss off your neighbours or not. Most gits who leave their dogs out all day seem to constantly bark.
    Plus its pretty rubbish for the dog. How would you like it?

anagallis_arvensis

Mine is outside all day 2 or 3 days a week. Neighbours report she sleeps all day. If the dog isnt used to it though it could be a problem. Foxes havent eaten her yet.

funkrodent

Tough one this. I work from home and on the days that I’m away we get a dog walker in. Seeing as it will be a complete change of routine and environment, expect unusual behaviour from the canine. I’d keep him indoors and engage the services of a dogwalker to come round at lunchtime. Cheaper for you and way less stressful than kennels for the dog.

Edit he will get a 3 mile walk before I leave for work.

In truth, if you actually do this, (and a mile or so in the evening when you get back) he will be asleep for most of the time regardless! Mine gets 4 miles a day by the river (usually with me on the bike) and she is zonked out thereafter :mrgreen:

tonyg2003

If the dog is used to being with people all day then it might be stressful for it to be alone all day. Stressful = barking. I’d get a dog walker if the dog is to be left alone 9-5.

bikebouy
    Free Member

IMO it’s not an ideal situation in nor out alone. Can only give experience of having 2 springers and being out all day, and the Mrs coming home during lunch to see them/spend time with them and next door neighbours keeping an eye on mine.
    Took a bit of training for them to adapt, my next door neighbour would also occasionally pop round and play with them for an hour. Not ideal TBH but at least they were trained for it.

Is yours?

Could be a right old PITA if you just open the door and shuv them out all day.

Expect madness and angry neighbours.

letmetalktomark

Tough one this. I work from home and on the days that I’m away we get a dog walker in. Seeing as it will be a complete change of routine and environment, expect unusual behaviour from the canine. I’d keep him indoors and engage the services of a dogwalker to come round at lunchtime. Cheaper for you and way less stressful than kennels for the dog.

^^^This.

richc
    Free Member

As others have said I wouldn’t do it, unless you want to really piss off your neighbors and don’t mind a visit by the council/RSPCA.

Dog walker or doggy day care is worth a look and its cheaper than having to move house.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

left outside barking all day – thanks

lerk
    Free Member

Mine are kennelled outside so are used to it, but last night I nipped out whilst they had the run of the garden and ended up delayed.
    I returned to find uprooted plants, holes in the lawn and a roll of lightly chewed bin bags festooned around the garden…
    Their kennels are plywood with plaster beading on every external corner for a reason!

Rockape63
    Free Member

BUT it will take a while for him to acclimatise, if you just chuck him out and leave him expect constant barking, a clawed / chewed back door, holes dug in the lawn, an escaped dog or something similar… of course it will depend on his character, but as you say a sudden change from his routine, while being unsupervised, will result in a stressed dog, weather he acts out or not.

Indeed…there’s got to be a better way. If you did it at its own home it would not be good, but in a strange place with strange noises etc…not good at all!

I would come up with another idea!

binners

I recently got told off, and the ban-hammer was subtly brought out, for starting an only-half-joking thread entitled ‘Killing your next door neighbours dog’. I had started the thread due to my new neighbours doing exactly what you’re suggesting doing while I was working from home. It was off its routine due to the house move

The ****ing thing never shut up all day. It just barked constantly. No let up all ****ing day. I was genuinelly ready for killing it!

Your neighbours will feel exactly the same, and their murderous thoughts will also extend to you

IHN

I’ve done similar with my sister’s dog, who now lives with us.

He needs to get used to:

1) Living with you
    2) Living at your house
    3) Living at your house when you’re not there

in that order.

I’d be really wary of sticking him straight out into the garden for a whole week alone.

Ideally, I’d take two weeks off when you get him, spend the first week with him in and out of the house, then in the second week start to introduce gradually longer periods when you leave him at home on his own.

It will take a good couple of months for him to be properly settled.

Ours is at home alone, with a dogflap out to the back garden, for three days a week (I work from home one day a week, so does the Mrs). He generally does Mon/Tues alone, Wed/Thurs one of us is there, Friday alone and it works okay. On the occasions he goes three days alone you can tell he’s going a bit stir crazy by the end.

Leaving a radio on while you’re out is a good idea, really helps ours.

DezB
    Free Member

If you live near binners, do it 🙂

v8ninety

Not all dogs bark incessantly.
    Dogs can be perfectly capable of being happy and unstressed spending a large proportion of their time outside.
    The dog in question may not be.
    Suck it and see.

chakaping
    Free Member

One of our neighbours do this. Dog barks quite a bit.

They’re the same **** that throw their building waste in the woods as it happens.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Not all dogs bark incessantly.
    Dogs can be perfectly capable of being happy and unstressed spending a large proportion of their time outside.
    The dog in question may not be.
    Suck it and see.

You clearly don’t understand dogs and your advice suggests you’re not an animal lover. 😕

porter_jamie

dont leave them outside, they will get stolen for dog fight bait

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Chances are I might have to look after my parent’s dog. He is currently with people all day.
    Won’t be able to take him to work so is 9 to 5 indoors or outdoors better?

95% sure the dog will be unhappy for the entire time, bark a lot, and piss off everyone within earshot. Up to you if you care or not, I guess.

Or, he might be one of the 5% that won’t give a monkeys and will be perfectly happy outdoors by himself.

richc
    Free Member

Dogs are creatures of habit, if you **** with their routine they need time to adjust.

Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if you ended up with a dog with serious issues if you take it from 24/7 company inside to stuck in a garden for 8 hours+ a day, its going to wonder what its done wrong and will develop separation anxiety.

A good way to punish a dog is to isolate it (ignoring a dog is a good training aid) so effectively you will be punishing it for most of its waking hours and will make it miserable and destructive.

DezB
    Free Member

they will get stolen for dog fight bait

jeez, where do you live? Pikeyville?!

porter_jamie

near basildon, so yes i guess

richc
    Free Member

Happens all over, heard of a few getting stolen by friends who live in the Cotswolds and I live outside Bristol and its not unheard of.

Personally I really hope they are to be sold on and not for dog baiting/fighting, some sick bastards out there though.

binners

Personally I really hope they are to be sold on and not for dog baiting/fighting, some sick bastards out there though.

😉

doh
    Free Member

Would love to leave mine out but the recent theft of 2 Russell’s like ours from a farm a mile or so from here has left me a bit paranoid.
    Makes me sick to think what happens to a lot of stolen dogs:(

Cougar

BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK

Woof.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Well my dog used to love it outside all day . I had a 6ft fence , he could come and go as he pleased . Depending on its temperament the dog will be fine . What’s not to like about sniffing round a garden all day . My dog is a malamute x and doesn’t care about nothing apart from killing the postman .

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Not all dogs will bark . Mine only does it to humor me . He barks once then looks at me . I’ve been home many times mid day and never heard a peep . My neighbours have also commented saying you wouldn’t know Bear was home all day .

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

heard of a few getting stolen by friends who live in the Cotswolds

You’ve got friends in the Cotswolds who steal dogs???
    😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Do you leave your dog all day in the garden?’ is closed to new replies.