• This topic has 54 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by GW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Dirt Magazine – latest issue – really good
  • AlexSimon

I’m a little bit cautious posting this as I guess it’s a competitor to Singletrack. but if you’ve always thought of Dirt Mag as being for young downhillers and jumpers, it might be worth taking a look at this month’s issue (125 July).

I’ve always liked it, but this one in particular has made an impression on me.

It’s definitely more rounded than it used to be, and of more interest to ‘general’ mountain bikers imo.

They’ve changed the style slightly to be a bit more ‘Journal’. Who knows, maybe after seeing Privateer and Singletrack. The photography is always amazing too.

Anyway – thought I’d mention it!

AlexSimon

Ooh – that image came out big – sorry!

brant
    Free Member

The next one is better 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Is it me or does that pic look a total Photoshop hack and slash? Rider, foreground and background are separate photos.

AlexSimon

I take it they review one of your bikes? Or a feature on On-One?

Maybe they’ll have a group test of bike locks and degreasers 😉

(I’m a singletrack subscriber btw!)

AlexSimon

Is it me or does that pic look a total Photoshop hack and slash? Rider, foreground and background are separate photos.

The blur towards the top is definitely photoshop (maybe also the foreground), but I’d imagine the rider and location are genuine.

dabble
    Free Member

i shall be purchasing a copy, as i do each month. its a good mag.

mattjg
    Free Member

all the bits are genuine but I don’t think they were all in the same place at the same time!

nickhart
    Free Member

I used to subscribe to dirt but then got fed up with Steve hyperbabble jones and the new subscribers getting cheaper charges or better gifts as I paid by direct debit.
    I wish them well, as I do stw but I feel let down every time I buy one so will probably save the money’s and put it towards beer and food!

Mark

I’m a little bit cautious posting this as I guess it’s a competitor to Singletrack.

We love Dirt! 🙂

alex222
    Free Member

Its a ’tilt and shift’ effect I believe.

wisepranker
    Free Member

After flicking through the last couple of issues of Dirt at the supermarket, I’ve been pretty impressed with it.

WIth the deals they’re doing at the moment being pretty good, I’ve subscribed now. Singletrack, on the other hand seems overpriced and I find myself less inclined to bother picking it up as I know there’s no way I’ll buy it!

chakaping
    Free Member

The last pic in the Torridon feature is stunning, the article made me even more gutted to have missed a trip up there recently.

Not completely decided whether I like the changes yet, but it’s certainly more legible and broader in appeal – as Alex says in the OP.

honourablegeorge

I bought the previous issue from CRC, it came in a 17″x12″x5″ box. Had to go to the post office to collect, as it wouldn’t fit through the letter box.

tails
    Free Member

I haven’t read a MTB mag in ages, is dirt available on iPad

R979
    Free Member

It’s a shame the Art Director is leaving. He’s done a brilliant job for the last several years.

mattjg
    Free Member

Matterhorn is in clear bright morning sun I think.

Foreground trail is all soft browns, late PM light.

Not that I care, soz, just passing by a lunchtime.

Bike mags as a whole have a challenge to please regular riders I think, there are only so many articles they can write:
    * we went riding somewhere and it was good
    * here’s some kit we tested
    * an interview with someone whose riding probably bears no relationship with yours
    * some nice pics
    * opinion piece: riding is good and a we love it

STW do pretty good I think, but I find I read it less nowadays.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Its a ’tilt and shift’ effect I believe.

Badly faked if it is, tilt/shift gives controll over the depth of field in relation to the lense, i.e. it doesnt have to be everything ‘x feet’ away, it can be at an angle so something in the left foregraound and right background are both in focus. It’s more often used to make things look like minatures as you can setup so that most of the plane of focus is in the sky/air and only a narrow strip of the ground is, thus mimiking the effect of a macro lense on a minature model which usualy results in a similarly shallow dof.

If it was tilt/shift the entire mountain would be blured, allong the foregroud appart from the rider and a rider wide strip of the foreground.

rocketman
    Free Member

Personally I think Dirt gone more mainstream and God knows we have enough of mainstream as it is.

150mm FS, 29rs 😯 sooooooooo dull

Much prefer to read about prototype/pimped DH rigs

slowandsteady
    Free Member

Great Mag, If the image is Photoshoped it’s only the colours that have been tinkered with.

That shot was taken mid morning i rekon 😕

mattjg
    Free Member

S&S yes re timing (east face of Matterhorn, AM, mid-or-later summer I think)

the only way to solve the composition question is for someone to put up another pic of that same trail

mattjg
    Free Member

pic: http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=10027

that place is fresh air

the bit right behind the signpost is a possible candidate but IMO it’s too low, too far left and too far away from the mountain

anyway not that it matters

AlexSimon

We love Dirt! 🙂

I knew that really 🙂

vinnyeh

There’s some truly mind bogglingly spectacular writing from Jones in the latest issue.

Even more Jones-like than usual.

AlexSimon

TINAS – does it *have* to be that effect though. I know this is probably faked, but I was under the impression that a tilt-shift lens can also achieve top/bottom or left/right out of focus with no relation to distance.
    Like these:
    http://tiltshifted.com/robwatson/rw02/
    (bottom of this page) http://digitalphotobuzz.com/canon-ts-e-24mm-tilt-shift-lens-review

karen805
    Free Member

I bought this last night at Paddington station to keep me occupied on my train journey home.

It’s a great issue, kept me awake for my 90 minute journey (which at post 10pm is good work!).

Rickos
    Free Member

I haven’t read a MTB mag in ages, is dirt available on iPad

Yes.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dirt-mountain-biking/id468642316?mt=8

hora
    Free Member

will be interested to see how it fairs compared to recentish issues of dirt. About a couple of months ago they went to thinner/cheaper paper and lesser/crapper content IMO. Once upon a time it took many many toilet sittings to get through one. Now it takes/took a couple of flicks through. Sad really. The stories have lessened in length/depth.

kimbers

thinner/cheaper paper and lesser/crapper content IMO

they are using thicker paper now it really is a nice weight and size

Northwind

It’s the least dirt-like issue in ages I reckon. Now that’s not all bad but it does feel like a step away from its uniqueness.

I still can’t decide if Steve Jones reviews are genius or gibberish. Perhaps they’re both. But either way they’re miles better than “The bottom bracket is .000001mm too high, and we ordered a large even though we’re all 5 foot 8 and now we’re marking it down because it’s too long, and the bars are far too narrow at only 800mm”

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

all the bits are genuine but I don’t think they were all in the same place at the same time!

The shadow cast by the biker and shadow over the Matterhorn north face suggest same time.
    fantastic photo, the location must be on the Riffelberg somewhere, possibly below the Riffelhorn at Gagenhaupt/Dristelen
    Pic from Riffelhorn summit

Rickos
    Free Member

Friend of mine from when we were there in 2007.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Once upon a time it took many many toilet sittings to get through one. Now it takes/took a couple of flicks through.

There’s some truly mind bogglingly spectacular writing from Jones in the latest issue.

You’ve learned to read in “Jones” it saves some time. Most of the print is legible and the right way up, that helps too.

I think the realisation that there’s no point being a pure DH race magazine (pusjhing most of the race content online makes sense and they’ve done a good job of it, although Vital are pushing them) they can go back to being a riders publication, it’s allowed things to calm down a bit.

badadvert
    Free Member

Page 56 – pushing it so ‘ard he’s lost his rear wheel 😯

…good article tho’

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Dirt is pretty much uniformaly ace every issue – it definitely appeals to the emotional side of riding a bike, rather than the “stato” side 😉

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

hora – Member
    About a couple of months ago they went to thinner/cheaper paper…Once upon a time it took many many toilet sittings to get through one.

Are you reading it, or wiping your arse with it?

hora
    Free Member

Based on recent form wiping.

So I bought the latest. Thicker but also more ads. Looks quite good so far.

geologist
    Free Member

I agree, the best issue of Dirt I have read. Im a cross country rider, who likes my rides to have a DH slant. I thought that this issue had some really good cross over ish articles in.

At the moment its my favourite mag. TBH Singletrack is going a bit to Privateer-ish for my liking (still really enjoy it though:)

thepodge
    Free Member

Sooooooo many adverts in dirt this month.

wl
    Free Member

My favourite mag, best photography by a mile IMO. Just wish Steve Jones didn’t write like he’s on acid, all that cryptic crap that leaves you none the wiser.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Dirt Magazine – latest issue – really good’ is closed to new replies.