Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • David Millar. Is it just me? Or is he a complete……
  • DaRC_L

shibboleth & speshpaul + 1.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I met him once, I think it was probably after the Tour of Lancashire when a time trial finished on Harris End Fell. Presentation was in Scorton, about 5 miles away and I rode down with him.

He’ll have been in his early twenties, before he signed for Cofidis I think. Such a nice bloke, it seems so sad that his career took such a turn for the worse with the doping.

Does he mention me in his book? 😉

MartinGT
    Free Member

His Dad?

Wiggo has done a few interviews recently and he seems to have relaxed a lot. I think the whole circus of Sky at the start was mad, well be even worse now they have Cavendish on board……….allegedly 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

dad is a reference to Robert Millar the only brit to win a classification in TdF – king of Mountain 1984?? who is not his dad but many think he is due to sam ename and being scottish

hora
    Free Member

Cheat caught? Check
    Cheat becomes holier than though? Check
    Cheat thinks by him throwing mud people will trust his word? Check

Sorry mate, when you’ve been caught and convicted you kinda lose credibility.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Thats why I questioned it, I knew he wasnt his father! His father is a pilot IIRC?

I breifly spoke to DM at last years British Nationals, very nice bloke indeed.

keavo
    Free Member

i like the way he races, not too sure about anything else. that picture of him with beret on is excellent though.

aP
    Free Member

hora – what are you going to do when Armstrong gets done by the Feds?

Millar’s a bit of a dick, he admits that, and like most sportsmen he thinks the rules don’t apply to him. Still is a bloody good cyclist though.

winterfold
    Free Member

“I’m intrigued about how he’s going to deal with being a supporter of Armstrong as more and more stuff comes out. “

I think those bridges got burned long ago.

When he signed with Vaughters would have done it.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    dad is a reference to Robert Millar the only brit to win a classification in TdF – king of Mountain 1984?? who is not his dad but many think he is due to sam ename and being scottish

Ha ha. Is there anyone on the planet that actually thinks that.Amazing.

Both come across as bell ends but both ridiculously talented and 2 of the best ‘testers’ out there. His ride at the worlds TT last year was ridic.

Wont be buying his book though.

ourmaninthenorth

For sport to be elevated beyond mere physical exertion, you need two components:

1. winners – people who’s entire mindest is about being first, number one, the best

2. People who say interesting things, whether or not one agrees with them

For me, Millar does both of these pretty convincingly. I CGAS whether he got caught doping or not. Good grief, most sport is way more interesting because of the cheating than without it….

epicyclo

I don’t listen to cheats and dopers. He should have been banned for life.

naffrider
    Free Member

I like them both, both knobs in some regards but who isn’t? Power to them both

damo2576
    Free Member

Much bigger fan of Millar than Wiggins. At least Millar has some personality and edge!

seven
    Free Member

Just out of curiosity what is the view now of Tommy Simpson?

Drug cheat who should be written out of cycling history or one of the Uk’s great cyclists?

FWIW I’ll be supporting both Wiggins and Miller, no different to anybody else, have their good and bad points, but they’re not my mates they’re sportsmen and both bloody good at it

mudshark
    Free Member

I like Millar and see nothing wrong with this article, says it as he sees it, I wish more were like that. The fact he’s so vocally ant-drugs now is great as it helps the newer riders feel less pressure to take drugs which was a problem a few years ago. I like Wiggo too but didn’t realise he hadn’t given appropriate credit to his team for his 2009 performance.

As for Sky, can’t seem to like them for reasons as given above. If Cav joins them, as seems probable, I guess that’ll change as I love Cav!

winterfold
    Free Member

“naffrider – Member

I like them both, both knobs in some regards but who isn’t? Power to them both “

I completely agree – plus Cav x (rad to the power gnarr).

Being a bit of a bell-end once in a while is human and likeable, boring PR sanitized athletes I cannot get interested in eg tennis.

This is also why Nicole Cooke is cool – if she’s feeling mardy then you know about it 🙂

winterfold
    Free Member

mudshark “I like Wiggo too but didn’t realise he hadn’t given appropriate credit to his team for his 2009 performance.”

To me, this point of Millar’s is moot.

Wiggo ITT’d and wheelsucked his way to that position (and why not, God made him a time-trialler), I dont recall seeing monster efforts from the Garmin massive to keep him there.

On the other hand all road-racing is a team effort;)

I think he is more pissed that Wiggo left a team he has a stake in for mega-bucks – but at the same time cannot blame him.

(btw there is a book out now called Skys the Limit – it is all about how Sky was intended to be built around Cav, but it just didnt come off – so both Sky and Wiggins are opportunists)

yossarian
    Free Member

I like him.

To the moralisers who won’t counternance his appearance, a question:

Forget the fact he’s famous and rides a bike for a living. Have you NEVER before in your life done something to compromise your integrity? Never lied, never cheated?

I like millar for his obvious frailty, and for the fact he doesn’t try to hide it beneath a veneer of righteousness or ego. You can see the fractures in his character from a mile away. I like that. No fear and nothing to hide.

Actually I think that’s probably more important than being a ‘clean’ cyclist.

saladdodger
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Cheat caught? Check
    Cheat becomes holier than though? Check
    Cheat thinks by him throwing mud people will trust his word? Check

Sorry mate, when you’ve been caught and convicted you kinda lose credibil

Agreed

But if I am not mistaken before he was caught he denied ever taking drugs so the make’s him a Liar to

tang
    Free Member

He is a well paid athlete who broke the rules of his sport. Not just a small technical offence either. He should be thankful he’s riding at all and have some humility. What he did is far worse than any complaints about sky/wiggins.

crazy-legs

But if I am not mistaken before he was caught he denied ever taking drugs so the make’s him a Liar to

Read the article linked to in the OP and read his book, it’s all explained in there. I like him, he’s a decent bloke who made a mistake, has been to hell and back dealing with it and has come out the other side amazingly well all things considered.

I think you have to know something of the ins and outs of pro bike racing to get a feel for it really. To know what goes on for the 49 weeks of the year when the TdF isn’t on. (a bit like all the sudden tennis experts out there now that Wimbledon is on…)

winterfold
    Free Member

“I think you have to know something of the ins and outs of pro bike racing to get a feel for it really. To know what goes on for the 49 weeks of the year when the TdF isn’t on.”

I agree. But it’s worse than that with pro road racing cos once fans (who dont ride) get beyond the TdF stage, many of them start wanting Giros with 12 competed MTFs on 20% climbs while insisting the sport remain clean.

Millar, was to some extent a victim of the system, but he still had a choice, even if it was extremely limited, eg Bassons

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Millar is a greater cyclist than anyone posting on this thread (and on this forum ever), so he can behave how he likes imo.

I think he’s great. He’s one of the good guys. done wrong, admitted it, and has moved on. There are many others worthy of dislike but millar isn’t one of them..
    But he has got a book to sell and a bit of lively press isn’t to be expected.

grahamt1980

The anti wiggins element is arsh, from what I remember Garmin rode the 2009 tour as spoilers, attacking people for the hell of it with no real purpose. They stopped big george getting the yellow by 5 seconds.
    Not convince Cav going to Sky is a good move though.
    But unfortunately for all Millars anti-doping sentiment now the fact remains he did and as such should have a life ban

winterfold
    Free Member

Steve-Austin – Member

“Millar is a greater cyclist than anyone posting on this thread (and on this forum ever), so he can behave how he likes imo.”

no doubt the first bit of your post is true – So if he suggested to Pete Kennaugh or Swifty that they are good, but would be even better if they got on the sauce – you would be Ok with that?

I doubt you would, and I am pretty sure he wouldn’t.

I dare say there is am implicit (within reason) in your post but reap as you sow 😉

Shibboleth
    Free Member

saladdodger – Member
    Agreed

But if I am not mistaken before he was caught he denied ever taking drugs so the make’s him a Liar too

What a silly thing to say! Have any dopers ever been caught by someone asking them outright “Did you dope?”?

Of course not. Of course he’s going to deny it until he absolutely can’t refute the evidence against him. As would anyone whose career and livelihood was in the balance.

Doping was wrong, but you can’t say he made it worse by lying about it! The whole enterprise – the procuring, taking and covering up are all part and parcel of it, and why he was quite rightly banned.

But he served his time, and I’m impressed with his current stance against doping.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

some of you guys dont really get the whole concept of team mates in cycling i can see millars point,he was killing himself daily for brad and garmin made him as he said…i think that there is far more drugs in the sport then people know and to compete sometimes as a brit abroad i think efff me theses guys are fast (for cyclo cross) so i can see how he went off the rails and did drugs but he did his time and now he is a bloody good all rounded and has won more than brad this year anyway….

atlaz
    Free Member

What a silly thing to say! Have any dopers ever been caught by someone asking them outright “Did you dope?”?

Well that sounds like exactly what some dopers in both cycling and baseball have done in the US. Grand jury is a lot more serious than a journo admittedly and the penalties for being caught lying can be severe which is probably an incentive.

hora
    Free Member

what are you going to do when Armstrong gets done by the Feds?

When though?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Whats the view of Tommy Simpson??

Hmmm, interesting, seems like someones doing a film about him soon (no, not the BBC4 recut)

I’m of the opinion that TS rode in an era where anything was acepted, it was a mad era for cycling what with the distance and lack of support structure, even hotels and food had to be organised by the riders. He died whilst on drugs, shame, but thats what it was like back then.

Got another chapter in on DM’s book last night.. it’s still a cracking read BTW..

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’ll happily read DM’s book but I’ll be getting it out of the library and not paying for it. I am in the “he’s annoying” camp. He harped on about drugs and being clean, gets caught and is now holier than thou. He may be a great bike racer but he’s a drugs cheat who should be banned for life. I feel the same about all of them, Contador, Sastre, Ricco (but he’s just special in soooo many ways)…the list goes on but I feel the same about the lot… except so many of the others aren’t holier than thou.

iDave
    Free Member

I know him personally. Pretty much anyone could be perceived by people who don’t share their point of view or experiences as a cock, arrogant, bell-end etc. Even me. IMO he’s a really nice guy. He’s been through things that gives him a certain perspective on life which will be different to others. To all the cheat-haters, I assume you lead a blameless and law abiding life?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’m not disputing these sports men aren’t “nice people” I just find them annoying when they harp on about how holy they are now they’ve done drugs and been caught!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Why do you think Sastre is in the “gang”?? I’m questioning that..

tang
    Free Member

It’s about professionalism. Sure we all have probably done something in our lives. But if I made such a large offence in my profession I would probably never work again. These guys are my heros and when they dope or start whinging and selling their story they disappoint. He did do a great job as race leader during the giro tragedy, as I’m sure any gc leader would have done on the day. Peleton professionalism with a dose of humility will mark him as a deserved reformed rider.

iDave
    Free Member

These guys are my heroes

Why? They’re just guys who ride bikes for a living? Why should they have any more well rounded personalities or be more likeable than any of the rest of us, or indeed you yourself.

For what it’s worth, he seems to he held in high regard by most of the peloton

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Sorry I meant Basso!

tang
    Free Member

Well say what you like, I am in awe of sporting prowess. So yes they are my ‘sporting’ heros. They represent something to the fan. That’s why the sponsors want to pay them. Nothing wrong with a bit of personality. But it’s not like these interviews were done post race with all the fresh emotion.

hora
    Free Member

This sounds cruel but I think of sports stars are singers. I like their songs but as soon as they start sprouting ideology I switch clean-off. Its nice when they want to support a charity etc or have a private opinion but when they start shouting off about fellow competitors or about how we should give money.

**** off. We don’t care, you ride a bicycle or sing songs for a living. Yes you earn more money that I do but it doesn’t mean I have to listen to whine.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘David Millar. Is it just me? Or is he a complete……’ is closed to new replies.