Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Dark side: tyres to replace Ultremos?
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Have had Schwalbe Ultremo's on there since I bought my road bike, and were fine until the Bulge happened. Got them warranty replaced last summer, but the rear has just gone again (in the garage, thank crikey) so looking for something different.

Ride around 200 miles per month on country roads in Shropshire/Wales.

What's out there that offers good grip, durability etc?

Thanks.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The new ones they sent, where they the Ultremo R1???
    That's what I got after the bulge, and they seem spot on..
    Hmmm… Will keep my eye on them.

aP
    Free Member

Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp Quattro

Gary_M
    Free Member

Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX, fantastic tyre. Cheapest I found were from High on Bikes at just under £60 for a pair.

high on bikes they also have an ebay shop.

fasthaggis

Seconded for the Evo CXs ,got a pair from bicyclerubber on e-bay last year for £40.

samuri
    Free Member

Continental GP4000's. Really sticky, puncture proof as far as I can tell and excellent lifespan. I have one that has done over 5000 puncture free miles now although it's starting to look a little tatty. I might complain.

oldgit
    Free Member

I know STW is a Continental road tyre stronghold, but everyone I know that's tried Vittoria from Diamant to CXs has never looked back.
    One of my mates that runs a successful london bikeshop is bigging up the CXs after changing from Contis on my recommendations.

njee20
    Free Member

Never got on with Conti road tyres. I like Hutchinson Fusion 2s.

cp

cakefest – be interested to know if the replacement was an R1 or the old plain Ultremo. If it was replaced last summer, I assume it's still an Ultremo as the R1's weren't available until late last year.

I've got a pair of R1's and they are superb.

[edit] though if you're not racing, and I assume from that mileage you're not, I'd go for something more robust than Ultremos/Pro3's etc….

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

I'm with Samuri on this one. Continental GP4000S Tyres are highly recommended. I have them fitted to two of my road bikes and use them in summer and winter with no problems.

doof_doof
    Free Member

I had the same bulge problem with my Ultremo's. Have swapped to GP4000S chillis, which have had no issues, aren't getting as many micro cuts, no punctures, grip at least as well, and roll much, much smoother.

Weird, cos I love Schwalbe mtb tyres and hate Conti's, but on the road bike it's the opposite.

Daniel
    Free Member

I had Ultremo's and got bulges. Moved to Conti Attack & Force combo. Very pleased with them. As mentioned above they don't seem to pick up cuts etc.. like the Ultremo's.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Michelin Pro race 3, Job done ! Not much in it between Conti GP4000 or Pro race 3 both brilliant and I have used both extensively. But for me the Prorace 3 just seem a bit better made.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Michelin Pro race 3, Job done

Not really, the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX is a far better tyre than the pro3 race, I know as I have both.

The vittoria is faster, more comfortable, more puncture proof and grips the road better.

maxlite
    Free Member

Never had a problem with Ultremos, all black version. But they were replaced by Schwalbe with new R1's recently…..they are superb.

cakefest
    Free Member

Ultremo I got sent by Schwalbe as warranty replacement was R, not R1.

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

Vittorias all the way.

Got to love how durable they are!

GP400's died very quickly during my last bout of cross london commuting….

maxlite
    Free Member

According to the email I had from Schwalbe you should'nt be riding on 'R' model!!!

They replaced both sets of my 'R' Ultremos with 'R1'

wellhung
    Free Member

Conti Gatorskins here have been on since my jaunt to Roubaix last July without any of those nasty hole things in my innertubes. 😀

cakefest
    Free Member

maxlite, can you please pm me with the email address for Schwalbe? would like to get hold of my R1s it sounds like i should already have.

cp

Can't you just get another warranty replacement out of schwalbe as it was another 'R' which failed, and as schwalbes website says- photo the evidence and send it to them!!

zaskar
    Free Member

Michelin Krylions as a training tyre.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Dark side: tyres to replace Ultremos?’ is closed to new replies.