Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)
  • Cotic Solaris Max feedback and pics please
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

I’m picking up my Solaris Max tomorrow which is being built up at my LBS. I really cannot wait to get this bike, can’t remember being this excited about a new bike day than this (and I’ve had a few) Anyone got any Solaris pictures to get me even more giddy? Also feedback on how they ride, I’ve got fox rhythm 130mm forks, Hunt trail wide wheels and am wondering if it will be a good all round setup.

reeksy

Can’t show you any photos but I’m loving mine. Had it about six weeks. I got the 140mm Trace forks and am using it for my road, gravel and single-track rainforest commutes (mostly flat with some steep tight climbs on st) and also at my local bike parks. I’ve been surprised by how well it climbs given it’s a lot heavier than I’m used to. It descends like a boss though. I put Hope Fortus 30 on with a 2.6 Rekon up front and 2.3 Aggressor rear.

slackboy

Got mine in July. Lovely bike, climbs quite well, but is really fast and stable descending. Find it easier to handle steep stuff than my trance.

Your setup sounds spot on, I’m running 120mm Yari’s because they were cheap but would go for 130mm if I chose again

leythervegas
    Free Member

Lovely spec that slackboy

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Solaris
    140mm 34 27.5PLUS fork w 29×2.4 rubber
    Pretty darn good everywhere to be honest!
    snow

andykirk
    Free Member

Echoing above comment, it gives you so much confidence when going down. Super fast.

Somewhat boring and cumbersome on the flatter bits though, but I think this is a trait of long wheelbase bikes in general.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Somewhat boring and cumbersome on the flatter bits though, but I think this is a trait of long wheelbase bikes in general.

I really want one of these, they look amazing but that’s the thing that puts me off. Ideally I need something that is everything the Solaris Max is but not slow and cumbersome on the flats and climbs. Not actually sure such a bike exists!

reeksy

What are you comparing against?

andykirk
    Free Member

Note I didn’t say slow…. But it certainly doesn’t have the fun factor or sprightliness/ instant maneuverability you feel on a shorter/ steeper angled machine on flatter terrain. But then of course that machine would come up short in areas where the Solaris excels. It’s all trade-offs.

bonzodog
    Free Member

solarismax

solarismax2

Excuse crappy direct from phone pics (if they work – I’m not very clever).

Large Cosmic black. Fox Rythmn forks (changed to 120mm). Stan’s flow rims. More when I get a moment.

EDIT* – See, told you I’m not clever. Hang on, I’ll try something else.

bonzodog
    Free Member

/\ Nah, not happening.

It looks just like a Large SolarisMax in Cosmic black with Fox Rythmn forks though.

bonzodog
    Free Member

I’ll echo other posters comments that it climbs pretty well. It aint a light bike so it doesn’t fly uphill, but the long CS keep the arse end planted for traction. You need to buy plenty of brake pads though cos when it starts going down it flies.

martinkiely
    Free Member

Mine is in Cosmic Black – the best colour… Find mine climbs really well TBH, but they are loooooong…Goes downhill like a demon, but mine definitely needs better forks than the 120mm Rebas it currently sports to do it justice. Will also get some wider boost wheels when I change the forks to give me more options on tyres – currently running 2.4/2.3’s on non-boost wheels. It has definitely become my “go-to” bike though – very happy so far

reeksy

140mm 36 forks on mine don’t seem overkill at all. I did a one hour singletrack blat with 300m climb this morning and it just smashes through the rough stuff. Tomorrow I’ll do almost 3 hours commuting on a mixture of surfaces, gravel, bitumen, singletrack and it’ll be super comfortable.

jakd95
    Free Member

Absolutely love mine, best hardtail I’ve owned by a long margin. Large Cosmic Black with 130mm 34 Rhythms as well (and Flows with 2.6 Butcher/2.4 Chunky Monkey at the moment). Feels like a really well rounded bike, climbs well enough and descends brilliantly. I’ve also used it for long bikepacking rides with lighter tyres and it does that well too, comfortable for long days in the saddle, as below.

2019-10-14_03-02-42

notmyrealname
    Free Member

What are you comparing against?

Note I didn’t say slow…. But it certainly doesn’t have the fun factor or sprightliness/ instant maneuverability you feel on a shorter/ steeper angled machine on flatter terrain. But then of course that machine would come up short in areas where the Solaris excels. It’s all trade-offs.

Currently comapring it to my Giant XTC Advanced. Previously I’ve always rode XC bikes so looking for something a bit different this time.

Ideally I’d like to get a demo ride sorted on one but it seems that every time Cotic are doing a demo in my neck of the woods I’m working.

bonzodog
    Free Member

C’mon the OP. Put us (me) out of misery.

How’re you getting on with your Solaris?

hopkinsgm

Not the OP returning to put your all out of your misery, but I’ve been enjoying mine for around 10 months now. Yari’s with a 130 DebonAir airshaft, M8000 XT, Flow Mk3’s on Pro4’s… It’s done a couple of lightweight bikepacking trips, some big days out, a fair few smaller days out, a day at Bike Park Wales and a relatively XC kind of week in the Pyrenees. Concur with the “wants to go fast” comments.

john_l
    Free Member

Just back from a few days in Sospel on mine. It loved it!

Clink

As ever, as i keep considering these, what size are 5’10” riders on? As usual M/L boundary. Need to get a demo really.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

john_l
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ on a medium with 35mm stem.

bonzodog
    Free Member

As ever, as i keep considering these, what size are 5’10” riders on? As usual M/L boundary. Need to get a demo really.

Hi Clink. I’m a sniff under 6ft 1, on a Large – though I could probably cope with an XL too.

My gut instinct tells me a Med might be for you, but yeah, Def try & sort a demo.

jakd95
    Free Member

Mine posted further up is a large (35mm stem/saddle fairly far forward/150mm dropper currently but could fit a 170mm). I’m 5’11” but don’t have hugely long arms/torso. Very comfortable sat down and I love the length/stability stood up. The size is definitely right for me but if I was any shorter think I’d personally go for a Med.

Clink

Cheers guys – I think a demo is what I need!

leythervegas
    Free Member

Sorry still not picked her up yet, waiting on a wheel part from Hunt. Will post pics as soon as I can. Very frustrating.

dc1988

How do people get on climbing very steep trails?

I was very interested in a Solaris Max having come from a MK2 BFe but the seat angle really put me off as it seems a bit slack given the reach. I had terrible trouble with climbing on the BFe with front wheel lift

deets

I’m 5′ 11″ on a large. Have done about 130 miles on it so far and loving it. Have spent the last 8 years exclusively on a large mk2 Soul and though the Solaris is a totally different shape, it still feels totally right. It’s a good 20cm longer than my Soul and have had to rearrange the garage as a consequence. Not sold my Soul yet and it looks puny next to the Solaris.

The Solaris descends faster than I’m used to, but climbs just like I want it to. Don’t skimp on the spec of the wheels and brakes though…

leythervegas
    Free Member

I’m hoping my spec will be a good mid range level. Got rid of my SRAM level t brakes and got a new set of SLX. And the Hunt wheels should be a good upgrade over my Giant wheelset. Think I may look at getting SLX or XT gearing further down the line if my SRAM NX isn’t up to it.

reeksy

How do people get on climbing very steep trails?

I’m finding it really comfortable for this. A few of my regular trails have steep singletrack switchback sections and some of the corners/rock hops require that i lift the front in the turn. I was actually worried it’d be too cumbersome, but actually the weight makes it very planted and the reach means i’ve got more bar to knee clearance than on my lightweight xc bike when in a tight turn, and don’t feel cramped. I am still able to pop the front when needed but have yet to do it unintentionally.

In terms of straight line steep climbs it’s spot on. Not losing traction on the rear or lifting the front.

hopkinsgm

@Clink I’m 5’11” on a medium with 50mm stem – tried medium & large back to back on the demo loop from the Cotic unit. Both felt good going up and going along, but found I really struggled to weight the front when descending on the large.

I’d highly recommend trying both (and possibly also seeing if you can get them to try some stem lengths) before you commit.

hopkinsgm

@dc1988 What length fork were you running on your BFe? I had one of the 853/631 models with the straight small headtube (I think that’s a MK2…?) and ran it a few ways round. It was a pretty decent all-rounder with a 140mm travel Revelation – had a lot of great days out on that bike. The later iteration with a 160mm travel Lyrik was kinda fun, but not great going up (thanks to slackening the seat tube) and jacked up the bottom bracket made for a few nervous moments (for both of us)!

dc1988

I had a Mattoc and would switch between 160-130mm depending on what I was doing. It didn’t climb very well either way but I felt it descended better with 160.

A lot of my problem probably comes from the fact I’m 6’5″ and it meant my saddle was very high and well over the back wheel. Thank god bikes are getting bigger!

leythervegas
    Free Member

So finally picked the new bike up today. Just ordered some blue hope bar ends as I am a tart. Otherwise I have Fox Rhythm 34s 130mm, SLX brakes, SRAM NX Eagle gearing, Hunt trail wide 29″ tubeless wheels, giant dropper, hope bottom bracket and headset. Can’t wait to get out for a ride now.

null

bonzodog
    Free Member

looking good fella.

Looking at your setup, I’m guessing you’re 6ft?

bonzodog
    Free Member

leythervegas

So finally picked the new bike up today. Just ordered some blue hope bar ends as I am a tart.

Not tarty enough to line your tyre lettering/valve up though 😉

leythervegas
    Free Member

Yes 6ft 2, this is an XL frame and feels about right to sit on though obviously not ridden yet.

Will sort those tyres too, been annoying me slightly since I got it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I do wish they’d sort their ST angles out.

edge85

Really not sure it needs a steeper ST. I’ve had mine since March and have never struggled with climbs or having the front wheel lift even on trips to Wales. Feels more efficient than my Bird Aeris with a steeper seat angle!

bonzodog
    Free Member

Yeah, I often ponder why people harp on about the STA. My saddle’s great right in the middle.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Solaris Max feedback and pics please’ is closed to new replies.