Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Cotic bfe max 120-130 fork?
  • ogden
    Free Member

Basically I really want a Solaris max but I’m too cheap to spend the extra £250. Is anyone running a bfe max with 120-130 fork and more xc trail build?

Really fancy grabbing a frame and building it up with spares and a few eBay bits. I think I should be able to get the discounted price through cycle to work as well.

slackboy

I’ve got a large cosmic black solarismax gen 2 (the pre-punk) one coming up for sale soon….

jfab

I ran my BFeMAX with 120mm Fox 34’s and a Maxxis Minion 2.3″/Crossmark 2.25″ combination with 1×11 and it absolutely flew along, I’d say it was actually faster and more comfortable than my previous SolarisMAX (2020 generation/model) which had exactly the same components on (sold the Solaris frame, put the bits in a box for a year and then built up the BFeMAX a couple of weeks ago).

I have since bumped up the Fox 34 to 140mm as I had a spare airshaft and fitted some bigger tyres just for the winter slop instead of putting my full-sus back together and it’s doing that just as well. I think it’s really just as versatile/more versatile than the current SolarisMAX which is probably why the next generation is dropping in travel and frame weight etc. as the BFeMAX is just so good in its travel range!

jfab

120mm with 2.3/2.25″ Tyres (DHF/Crossmark II)

140mm with 2.6″ Tyres (Minion DHF/DHRII)

simono5

Buy the frame you want, you’ll be happier in the long run IMO.

I run the BFEMax @ 130mm.  No complaints.

marksnook
    Free Member

Running my bfemax at 140mm currently. Had it at 130mm for a while and it felt great. I’m fairness I didn’t really notice the change in form travel

ogden
    Free Member

Medium matte red frame, Cane Creek headset, Hope seat clamp and frame bag ordered. Should total £420 after Cycle to work or just over £30pm. I would have gone for the blue but they were out of them in medium.

Parts bin will provide a set of tan DHF 2.6 tyres, Shimano MT500 brakes, Rotors, XT Mech, Shifter, Chain, Kenisis Carbon Bar, pedals & a saddle.

Just need Wheels, Fork, Cassette, Cranks, Stem and a Dropper I think.

Missed the boat with the Superstar deal on wheels but given the amount of discounted stock and PSAs flying around I think something will come along.

gemr
    Free Member

I’d been humming and hawing about a new frame for a while, moved to the alps a couple of years ago and my XC fully is rather undergunned for the trails in Austria. Thanks to this thread, I’ve just ordered a Matt Red BFeMAX, new fork and dropper required but everything else can move over… Very stoked.

ogden
    Free Member

I’d been humming and hawing about a new frame for a while, moved to the alps a couple of years ago and my XC fully is rather undergunned for the trails in Austria. Thanks to this thread, I’ve just ordered a Matt Red BFeMAX, new fork and dropper required but everything else can move over… Very stoked.

Sounds great! post some pictures when it’s built up!

cokie

Damn! Just went to buy one and the price has gone up again 🙁

rankbadjin
    Free Member

Cokie, give them a call, ye’ll get the sale price still today! Just ordered a magenta one, can’t wait!

cokie

Done! Thanks Rank. Just placing my order now. Fast red because I’m not quick enough for pink.

cokie

BfeMax

Just finished my build; 140mm Fox 36, 1×12 NX, SLX brakes with 203f/180r and some big rubber, 2.6F & 2.3R.
    Had a little ride yesterday- it’s a pretty interesting balance and suitably impressed at the moment.
    I’ve got BPW booked in on this for the end of the month. Would usually take the FS, but this could make it fun & different.

I’ve got a set of 130mm Rebas and XC tyres. Just need an XC wheelset and then I have a lighter weight build for summer.

ogden
    Free Member

Wow! glad I chose red now! How’d you get the frame so fast?

Alex

Looks good in that red. Definitely the second better colour after Blue 🙂

kelvin

The matte red is the best colour. 🤓 [ not built mine yet ]

Alex

Respectfully disagree @kelvin 🙂

Cotic BFEMax

I’m not fast enough for red anyway!

Had some chainsuck issues on mine but probably a combination of  a) old transmission and b) it’s been insanely muddy and c) stiff link in chain.

My mate made me a custom chainsuck plate tho. Awesome job,

Chainsuck on 1x!

Double taped the other bits after dabbing it with rust-stop. Think I’ll run a 30T oval when I change transmission in Spring as it runs pretty close to chainstay with a 32Oval.

kelvin

What’s the chainline Alex?

Alex

Boost. 52mm offset on XT Cranks. Think I have std spacers on BB. With a big ruler from chainring to cassette it’s about 5th/6th so I reckon it’s okay. 51T cassette tho so it’s not great at the top. Had chainsuck in 3/4. Anyway don’t want to derail thread, not worried about it, happened at night so I didn’t catch it. Going back to a standard SLX ring as chain was definitely hanging onto that burgtec ring (it doesn’t look that worn but…)

cokie

I bought it on the 3rd of Jan and it arrived on Friday the 6th with a fitted headset. Insane turn around really. I think they tried to fulfil orders before their site move.

Supper happy with the matte red.. I wanted pink but wasn’t sure I’m cool enough.
    This is much more subtle.

It feels so much more lively than the Stooge Dirtbomb I’ve been riding for months.

ogden
    Free Member

I bought it on the 3rd of Jan and it arrived on Friday the 6th with a fitted headset. Insane turn around really. I think they tried to fulfil orders before their site move.

That’s good! Cycle to Work must have slowed mine down. Hopefully that means it wont be 3 weeks till I get it then.

kelvin

Frame orders begin being prepped again this afternoon. It was workshop building yesterday and this morning. First dispatch from the new warehouse might not be ’till next week now though, a pickup is being chased for this week, but it’s all a bit vague with the courier at the moment as key people are on holiday their end.

cokie

Few more photos from todays ride. This bikes fast! Amazed how fast it climbs and descends given draggy tyres and muddy condition.

davros

Nice 👍

ff2
    Free Member

Hi, just came on to say I was in the same position as you! Started off looking at the Solaris Max and ended up going with the BFe Max when the frames were on offer last month. Have just built it up. Had originally planned to fit a Z2 I already had but took the opportunity to buy an as-new Z1 off a friend. So now it’s kinda far away from my original idea of an XC/light-trail hardtail!!
    Cotic bfe max

ogden
    Free Member

Hey @ff2, your pic isn’t showing?

Waiting for my frame to arrive today. I think I’ve fallen into a slightly similar trap based on what parts were on good deals when I ordered. Going to get it built up tonight – pics to follow.

ogden
    Free Member

Frame arrived……big chip on pain near BB that’s been badly touched up and a bit under the bridge. Wounded.

327160533_903905847301179_5727357329249878855_n<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

327162533_698022771859134_3589077375511501709_n<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

326316604_874944247104309_7222121880782678234_n<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

ff2
    Free Member

Wow, that’s not good about the paint! Looks like they’ve been busy moving premises, so maybe they mixed up a slightly used frame with new (they sell used on their outlet page). Hopefully they can sort you out quickly.

Here’s that photo of my build (final tweaks still needed). Photo doesn’t do justice how chunky the stanchions look against the frame!
    IMG_20230120_214200

cokie

Oh, sorry to see the damage @ogden. Contact Cotic and they’ll sort you out! It looks like it’s been touched up so I imagine it’s a seconds frame that somehow got posted out to you.

Had another very muddy ride today and still mega impressed. Given how sticky it is, it’s been remarkably fast.
    Got some mud clearance issues, but I think this is down to the how sticky the mud is and how big the tyres are. Stand over clearance is ludicrous. Almost looks like a trials/DJ frame when I look down. LLS geometry means it’s not as easy to manual but it’s not too bad to play around on.

ogden
    Free Member

Oh, sorry to see the damage @ogden. Contact Cotic and they’ll sort you out! It looks like it’s been touched up so I imagine it’s a seconds frame that somehow got posted out to you.

Not really sure how or why it made it out the door tbh, someone clearly knew and they fit a clamp and headset so they wont have missed it. They said they were out of medium red frames but would swap it for pink or grey…. Wasn’t keen on either so they said they’d send me £60’s worth of merch if I wanted. Given I’d got the frame on discount and cycle to work I didn’t wanna kick up a fuss; not like you can really see it when it is built up anyway. Also had them throw me in a paint touch up pot as well.

V1 OneUp dropper doesn’t play nice with externally routed frames so I’ve ordered one of those £57 TranzX ones on offer. Decided I should probs use some frame protection given the paint issue so I’ll have to wait for that before the first ride.

IMG_0333<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

cokie

Your bike looks great! Love the build & tan walls set it off nicely.

Oh.. not quite what I was expecting! Clearly no PDI at all then. Not sure £60 of merch is fair either. That’s a shame.
    It’ll pick up plenty of marks by the end of the winter season anyway I guess. Always found Cotic paint a bit soft (I’ve had 3 previously).

ogden
    Free Member

Your bike looks great! Love the build & tan walls set it off nicely.

Oh.. not quite what I was expecting! Clearly no PDI at all then. Not sure £60 of merch is fair either. That’s a shame.
    It’ll pick up plenty of marks by the end of the winter season anyway I guess. Always found Cotic paint a bit soft (I’ve had 3 previously).

Cheers, I’m dead happy with the way it turned out.

If they’d not let me do Cycle to Work on the discounted frame I’d probably have made a bigger fuss but given most shops wont do that I’ll cope with a free jumper, t-shirt and some touch-up paint.

cokie

Bfe

Had a great day at BPW. Bike was sublime. Some of the reds were on the cusp comfort wise, but the bike was super fast and stable. No regrets taking this over the FS.

How are you getting on @ogden?

ogden
    Free Member

How are you getting on @ogden?

@cookie
    glad you’re enjoying yours!

Just on with some DIY invisiframe, given the paint problems thought it would be worth the hassle.

Had to order a dropper because the v1 one up dropper didn’t like external routing and that’s only just turned up anyway.

Think I’ll get out on it this weekend coming. Can’t wait!

jfab

@cokie what size tyres are you running? I’ve got 2.6″ Minions on mine and seems fairly good for clearance, but my rims aren’t overly wide.

Haven’t ridden it in gloopy mud yet, only torrential rain or frozen solid so far!

cokie

Front is a Magic Marry 2.6″ and rear is a Minion DHR II 2.35″.
    Zero issues at BPW with clearance. Tyres stayed clear all day. Couldn’t be happier with the combo.
    Just my local trails that are really sticky. It’s the chalky Ridegeway so doesn’t drain.
    Not sure any tyre & frame would clear it.

jfab

Fair enough! I’ve got a 2.6~ DHF/DHRII combo but like you say, in some circumstances it wouldn’t matter if you ran 2″ tyres you’d still fill the gap with mud!

Alex

I have a 2.6 on ibis 35mm internal (i think) rims. Still decent clearance even when it was uber muddy (and I had some chainsuck issues which *seem* to have gone away after I junked the burgtec oval). Mate has a 27.5×2.8 in his and again still adequate room for some winter filth!

cokie

Oh, that’s a point!
    I’ve got a set of 27.5+ wheels in the shed- 40mm rims with 3.0″ tyres.
    Will try these when it starts to dry out. I forgot they’ll clear the frame & fork.
    Current rims are 31mm ID.

kelvin

I’m putting 27.5×2.8 in the back of mine, I’ll report back. Front will be 29er though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.