Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Conti ust tyres
  • garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Was interested in trying out some conti mountain king II ust tyres having splurged on some mavic wheels earlier this year. Are they worth the money? It was suggested the discounted ones on the web might be made in Asia and totally different quality to the the ones made in Germany. Any had any good / bad experience with these tyres? Thanks

dantsw13

I have Mavic UST rims and have use Conti tyres on them. I used Tubeless Ready instead of UST though, with no issues. You need the Black Chilli versions of conti tyres for the good grip. The Protection version is the Tubeless Ready carcass. I have used MKII and X king versions. I like the X king for the summer, but preferred the Nobby Nic to the mKII.

Several mates use the Hans Dampf tubeless, and love it.

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Thanks dantsw13. Did you buy your from a lbs or from the web? Someone has got me worried that buying off the web could result in an inferior quality tyre.

stevede
    Free Member

The giveaway is the price for the non black chilli versions – usually about £15 whereas black chilli versions cost closer to £50. Bike-discount.de are usually well priced, my bc barons and der barons were about £30 each from there with an extra fiver for delivery.

kiwijohn

I’m running ust xkings on DT rims. Been faultless, were easy to install as well. Good summer tyres but a bit sketchy in the wet.

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

Thanks

banks
    Free Member

Well worth it, nothing comes close imo, last ages too. Also very good warranty support

therag
    Free Member

Conti xking ust on the rear here with no problems all summer 🙂
    £44 from lbs

Ladders
    Free Member

Get a bit confused with all the different types of Conti tyres!

Can you use the Conti RS versions tubeless?

nowmefeelinit
    Free Member

Definitely get the Black Chilli version whichever tyre you decide on – as someone has said, price is usually a good indicator but also check the Continental website: here. The Conti website gives a product code for each tyre, its weight, construction and ERTO number and also shows whether the tyre is Black Chilli or not. Using this info and advertised tyres’ price and description online, you can usually work out which tyre you’re looking at.

I’m not running a UST Conti but I’ve got a tubed Rubber Queen 2.2 BC up front and Mountain King Mk II Protection 2.2 BC out back. The Mountain King measures exactly 2.1″ wide so comes up narrower than advertised. In terms of performance, it isn’t anywhere near the Rubber Queen for grip – I won’t buy another Mountain King based on my experience. If you can fit the Rubber Queen 2.2 I’d definitely recommend that – will be putting a pair on my new build without hesitation – UST on the back. For info, the Rubber Queen 2.2 measures exactly 2.2″ wide but is 5 mm taller than a ‘normal’ tyre.

Purchased my Conti tyres from Bike-discount.de – excellent service, price and quick delivery. I haven’t used Next Day Tyres but have read very good reports of their service – price will be more than some online retailers but if you’re confused about which tyre is which, their website is very clear so you’ll definitely know which tyre you’re buying.

Hope this helps.

Stu

dantsw13

I bought from nextdaytyres – no problems at all.

Buying from Internet is fine, so long as you buy correct version – the original MK is very different to the MKii. Have a look at the conti tyre website – all explained there.

So in summary :

For Tubeless ready, buy Protection version
    For good grip, black chilli version

So, you want a MKII PROTECTION BLACK CHILLI 2.2.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Conti ust tyres’ is closed to new replies.