• This topic has 89 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Confessions of a fun sponge.
    Drac

For the last 18 months and more in reality I have been in a really dark place. I kidded myself for up until 7 months ago I could carry on as normal, that I’d rich my planned retirement age within the ambulance service. It to ahead the beginning of October when I was at work one night, didn’t want to be there, was trying to help one of my members of staff and received a call out for a multi casualty RTC. I knew as I travelled there was no one to back me up, that it would likely be upwards of an hour from me setting off to my back up arriving. It was a horrible rainy night, the type that just pours and was coming horizontal. I was in an inadequate vehicle as the normal one was in for service, poor lights awful handing, shocking visibility and just not fit for purpose.

The location was extremely vague, even with my local knowledge, I queried this several times and was not able to locate any of the locations. I was doing high speeds on flooded A roads, B roads and narrower trying to pinpoint the location. All the time I being told still no back up, unable to contact the police for a better location and that I had passed it, which of course I hadn’t.

After about 45 minutes I pulled over and refused to move until they could contact the police. A few minutes later they updated me on the location, a complete different road they were minor injuries so the police were taken them home. That was it, I signed off and went home with still about 8 hours of my shift left knowing I would not be back.

I finally had enough, I could not face the everyday stress we all have, the works stress  all we have, the added politics that I had to deal in shift in shift out with my position and not being given the tools to do it.

Most of all I could not attend anymore traumatic events, I didn’t want to hear the cries of relative as there loved lay dying while we tried to help, the heartbreak when I had to tell them that was all we could do and they had now died. For those who all they had was their wife/husband/partner you could see the world had ended for them in their eyes.

I could no longer deal with attending yet another dead teenager out for a drive with their friend who had just passed their test and lost control of a vehicle. I’m haunted by memories, smells, nosies and sights that can be triggered by the smallest of things. A jacket potato the other night as sometimes that’s what I’d take for break.

I would lie awake at night, during the day between nights thinking it would be easier for me to just end it. I’d drink excessively to silence any voices, when I couldn’t drink I would take over the counter medication to help.

So, it had to stop I could do that by leaving. I have been diagnosed with anxiety, depression, PTSD and burnout. I am on medication for this, I went through months of treatment and use the methods regularly to function on daily tasks.

Today I officially left the ambulance service, I await to hear if i get my pension early due to my diagnosis. It’s a very emotional mixed bag but overall a huge sense of relief. I won’t have the exposure I was getting at work adding on top of the previous ones. I can now enjoy my life my way and spend time with my family that at times I couldn’t do.

So please of you are struggling talk to someone, a friend, a relative, your GP just anyone. It’s nothing to be ashamed of we all suffer one way of another as we are human.

vlad_the_invader

Wow Drac. That’s powerful stuff but well done for getting it out there. It sounds glib (and it’s not meant to be), but enjoy your retirement.

Hope things improve for you

thepurist

First of all, thank you for doing what you’ve done in the ambulance service. I know that I would struggle to do one shift of that sort of work, and can’t imagine the burden that you’ve carried.

Sounds like it’s time to put yourself first, to take some time to heal and reflect. Look after yourself and maybe, when your pension is sorted, treat yourself to a new iPad.

Poopscoop

That’s was a humbling read Drac.

It looks like you left just in time my friend, it sounds like you really were at the end of your tether.

I’m sure there is a lot of healing to do but you’ve taken a huge step towards doing so.

Thank you for sharing this with the forum, you aren’t the only one struggling behind an anonymous forum name in sure.

You are a decent guy Drac and though you’ve had to convey some terrible news to some there must be many more that owe their lives to you and people like you.

We are all here for you matey.

scaredypants

Tell us you haven’t had to hand in the ipad ??!! 😬

All very well said, Drac, and I wish you all the best in what I hope is a good recovery and a long & happy retirement

leffeboy

Goodness that is a hard read. Need to go through it all again.  I hope that one day it unravels enough for you to feel properly relaxed again but I can’t imagine how long that will take.

Thank you for writing it

Tom83

Christ, what a humbling read. Well done on taking the steps needed for your own well being, not everyone has the courage to do that.

Healing vibes dude.

ernielynch

but overall a huge sense of relief.

I can imagine. Good luck with the future.

Plenty of time for mtbing now, and new hobbies!

woody2000

All the best Drac, that sounds truly awful.  Hope brighter days are ahead 🙂

My mate is a paramedic, and reading this makes me realise I should check in on him more than I do.

Houns

You’re a sponge I’d like to squeeze 😘

kilo

Thank you for all you’ve done and endured. I’ve worked with a lot of proper grafters but nothing comes close to the stuff paramedics put themselves into, to help others, best wishes for your new future.

(stealth edit: I probably won’t squeeze you but I’ll buy you a beer ;) )

neilnevill
    Free Member

Wish you all the best.  Man hugs.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Thank you for all you’ve done up to here, good for you in what you’re achieving now, and good luck for everything that comes next.

northshoreniall

Very honest write up, you front line guys are so overstretched it’s criminal.

Well done for prioritising your own health and wellbeing, I imagine it was a massive leap and you should give yourself a pat on the back for managing to do it.

Hopefully time and self care will help you reset somewhat and get some joy back in life.

I think I rode with you and a few others one new years day about 20yrs ago near Rothbury, when I moved up to sunny Chopwell.

When you’re ready, you must plan a group ride in the Grim North.

mattyfez

I’ll echo what everone else has said.. it sounds like you’ve made the right decision.

My own experience with emergency responders is limited, on the reciving end, and I know a parmedic personally. I don’t know how they do it and stay sane.

I know enough to know they have to have super-human levels of stress tollerence to remain cool and effective under the circumstances, and they are huge stresses on top of the normal day to day life stresses that eveyone has.

All the best.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Drac you really are a hero. Time to concentrate on yourself.

martinhutch

The stuff we put our emergency services through shift after shift, with little recognition or support, is ridiculous.

Thanks Drac. Try to focus on the countless times you did make a difference rather than the horrible situations when there was nothing you could do. There will be an awful lot of people walking around today because of you and your skills.

willard

That  ^^^^ 100%. Please do look after yourself. Take some time to get stable and into a lighter, more happy place. I do not think that anyone can say you deserve it.

slowol

Well done on a good job Drac.

Enjoy your well earned retirement and whatever comes next.

fenderextender
    Free Member

**** me. That hit home reading it.

You’ve done way more good in a working life than 95% of us ever will.

You can retire safe in that knowledge. There will be people walking down the street tomorrow who wouldn’t be alive if it hadn’t have been for you. That’s special. Hold on to the good bits, try to let go of the bad.

👍

blokeuptheroad

Respect. Both for the incredible job you did under the most appalling conditions and for having the courage to say ‘enough is enough’ when it got too much.  I hope retirement allows you time to heal.  Be kind to yourself and all the best for a positive new chapter.

CountZero

I can only second what everyone else has said, I have the deepest respect for everyone who is part of the emergency services, I know for a fact that it’s a job that I couldn’t do, I feel too much empathy for those involved, that I just couldn’t function properly. It would be different should I happen across an emergency situation, but not every day.

Take care and look after yourself, and relearn how to enjoy life with family.

vinnyeh

Wow.

Only met you once, over 20 years back in Wales on an STW weekend, you patched me up after an accident, and  you made a bit of an impression. The guy I met then is nothing like the picture you’ve painted in your post, and I really feel for you- I think careers like yours while very worthwhile, and obviously it’s been one to which you’ve been devoted, but in the longterm they must be pretty destructive on the staff. All the best to you and your family,  hope you find a bit more joy and happiness in your life.

sc-xc

Lost for words really Drac. Like the rest of us, I have picked up on recent threads that things aren’t good…but wanted to echo everything said by far wiser people than me up thread.

Thank you for the shift you’ve put in, and now time to focus on yourself. Fortunately, you’re a massive part of a supportive community here that would never dream of taking the piss when the time is right…

In all seriousness, be kind to yourself.

🍺

garage-dweller

@drac I wish you the very best with your onward journey after what sounds like a really really rough run (sorry I’m not finding the best words here).

As for this could not agree more.

So please of you are struggling talk to someone, a friend, a relative, your GP just anyone. It’s nothing to be ashamed of we all suffer one way of another as we are human..

A family suicide last year and various other reasons.

It’s encouraging how many more people are talking publicly on these issues now but still much to do.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blimey, I’ve been worn out at work but that is something else!

Well done for prioritising yourself, taking that step and all the best for your future.

burntembers

Good luck with everything Drac, hope you can now enjoy a definitely well earned retirement.

Also thanks for sharing your experience, it was humbling, and like you say hopefully it can help others that are struggling make positive changes.

The older I get the more it seems to me there are so many people out there barely keeping things together.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I know I’ve given you shit but honestly, after reading that I can see why you are such a grouchy arse. Anyone would be.

My dad was much the same with a lot of the same gripes, unfortunately he did decide to end it after one last thing became too much. Unlike you though he never really talked about it and when he did it didn’t seem that big a deal. You have a lot to deal with but it sounds like you’ve taken the first steps to sorting yourself out.

Whatever happens now, you’re out. No more of that shit, even if you have to work on for a bit it’s still going to be better than that. Best laid plans and all that. Try not to get fixated on what was supposed to happen and just remember you’re better off regardless.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I know We ain’t always seen eye to eye but fair play to you for both committing your life to doing the best you can for the people and for putting your head above the parapet to let people know it’s not just them suffering. Countless paramedics /police / doctors & nurses are in the same situation and many feel isolated.

Best of luck in the next chapter.

ads678

Ambulance staff are amazing in my eyes. Thank you for your service drac. Enjoy your retirement.

Big man hugs.

MoreCashThanDash

You’ve done an amazing job in your career, but it’s taken a huge toll on you.

You deserve to take a break and get the support you need as you move on to the next phase of your life.

bentandbroken

@Drac -Take care. Time to look after yourself rather than others.

ransos
    Free Member

Try to focus on the countless times you did make a difference

This. There are folk enjoying their lives right now because of you.

duncancallum

Right call mate.

Hopefully you’ll start to decompress!

Drac

Bloody hell folks cheers for the words of support it does help.

Squirrelking I’m that generation too, we didn’t talk it was a sign of weakness. I pushed staff to talk and seek help but was shit it myself. Sadly I’ve seen colleagues fall victim and ended it, one fairly recently.

l loved the job, been stopped by random to me people who have thanked me. I’d never tell anyone to not go for it, there is better support now but by Christ it can be hard.

arrpee
    Free Member

Mate, thank you so much for everything you did and tried to do. It’s impossible for you to have done that job for as long as you did without doing a lot of good.

I feel like I constantly see good people in essential roles burnt out and mentally unwell as a result of the chaos and mendacity of our leadership.

You deserve that pension tenfold. Glad you’re finally getting the support you need, woefully late though it is. Best of luck with whatever comes next.

Clover

Big hug. That’s a massive contribution and way more I could do or have done. Respect. And a hug. You deserve some peace and sunshine.

jkomo

Holy shit.
    You’ve made the right decision there.
    Time to look after yourself now.

dovebiker

Kudos for being so honest – your words really cut through. Hope you enjoy your well-earned retirement and we all owe a debt of gratitude for your service.

ElShalimo

@Drac – enjoy your new life. You’ve earned it

Just got to Weardale. The driving once we left the A1 near Darlo was mad. Thankfully you don’t have to deal with the fall out of that madness any more

Best of luck with what lies ahead!

🍻🍻🍻

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.