• This topic has 81 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Company car time – Golf vs A3 vs V40
  • unknown
    Free Member

Time to choose a new company car so looking for real world experience of why I should/shouldn’t get any of these:

Audi A3 2.0 TDI Technics special edition
    VW Golf 2.0 GTD
    Volvo V40 D4 r design 190

At first glance those are the most likely options but I could also get something bigger (Passat saloon/estate, Volvo s60 saloon or v60 estate). Just not sure it’s worth it when 80% of the time it’s just me in the car. I do about 16k miles a year, 40ish a day commuting and one or two motorway trips a week. Like driving but I’m no boy racer any more. Decent boot size and room in the back is fairly important but wife’s car is a good size so not a deal breaker.

So… what have you got and would you get it again?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The V60 Ocean Race Edition is lovely. (But I’m slightly biased.)

chestrockwell

I’d have the Audi over the Golf as it’s a nicer place to sit. Volvo would be interesting but I’d probably go for the Audi. Saying that, we have a 1 Series and that’s ace to drive.

ffej
    Free Member

If the Audi is the “Technik” then it’s actually a pretty basic spec. Volvo or Golf for me..

J

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I would take the Volvo out of those any time. But then I am biased being as I am on my 4th Ovlov…

Though if I had the choice of an R Design V60 instead that would be my choice.

titusrider
    Free Member

Ive got the mk7 Golf GTI and I would say it is as nice as a place to be than the audi’s and comes with a pretty nice spec and interior.

No experience on what the GTD I like to drive but surely it is more engaging than the others? GTI is pretty damn fun

tinybits
    Free Member

GTD for me – as long as you like the tartan seats! Love the MK7 golfs, good fun, quiet, fast, economic and understated. Good on the company car tax as well!

The GTD’s are pretty nice to drive, however if you don’t really want to ‘make progress’ then why not go for the GT and spec the beejusus out of it? All the toys possible for less than the GTD.

Drac

Golf. I took delivery of my GTD last week and painful as it is to admit it’s nicer than my Audi was. The GTD really is very impressive.

craig24
    Free Member

Golf GTD, its a much nicer spec then the Audi Technik

jfletch
    Free Member

Seat Leon ST

I know it wasn’t on your list but I’d assume if you can have VW or Audi you can have a Seat. Basically the same car but more for your money. If your not after something sporty then the ecomotive is the one to go for. Same engine as a golf Bluemotion but much better spec.

dragon
    Free Member

Having gone from an Audi A3 to a Golf I wouldn’t go back, the Golf IMO is the nicer car.

fionap

Volvo V60 R-Design D5 here. Only a few weeks in but it’s very nice and very quick (although the D5 isn’t available new any more). £30 VED for 215bhp which is incredible and 42mpg on our city/motorway runs with roof bars.

Hoff

The Golf GTD – Can you get the Golf GTE?? Great perfromance & low tax

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Decent boot size and room in the back is fairly important but wife’s car is a good size so not a deal breaker.

I looked at A3’s and thought the boot was tiny. Well and pretty much all the car.

I ended up getting a BMW 320d Efficient Dynamics. Very tax efficient so may work out cheaper than you think. Much better to drive than VAG or Volvo

Fuel economy is bonkers good. Drive sensibly and you get 80mpg. Avg about 65mpg at 80mph on the motorway and drivng like a wolly never below 38mpg

stumpy01

My brother has had a Golf for his last couple of company cars, but last time swapped it for a V40. I think his is an R-Design with a fairly small diesel engine – 1.6, perhaps?

He was mentioning only at the weekend, that he prefers it massively over the Golf’s that he’s had although the boot seems a little smaller.

I’m sure at the end of the day, any of them would be a decent car to own it’s just a case of finding one that suits you.
    As mentioned above though – have you looked at the Leon? FR is a great looking car.

matt_outandabout

Is it worth having a company car for those miles?

lowey

I have the GTD as a company car. Cant comment on the others as never sat in them, however I’m immensely impressed with the GTD.

Had it 5 months and done 12k. Very comfy despite the sports suspension, quick and handles just brilliantly. Get 2 bikes in the back with the seats down easily. The only thing I would say against it is the quoted fuel consumption figures are way off. I can get about 58 on a run driving at 70, but average out at 45.

unknown
    Free Member

For 16000 miles a year, without the hassle of depreciation, servicing or insurance, it’s definitely worth it for me. The alternative cash allowance is pretty stingy so won’t go as far as taking the car.

Looks like the Audi is out (is this definitely still STW?). I’ll take a test drive of the other 2. Although there’s still a part of me that wants to take the opportunity to get a big estate just because I can.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I had the V40, as my last company car.
    Loved it.
    If I could have another, I would..

curto80
    Free Member

Golf no question (the Mk7 is better than the A3) but if you so many motorway miles make sure you get the SE edition with adaptive cuise control

curto80
    Free Member

The estate version of the Golf is great and the same size as the previous Passat model

lowey

The GTD comes with Adaptive Cruise Control as standard.

curto80
    Free Member

Result then. Best piece of modern motoring tech for me.

Drac

Yup GTD has adaptive cruise control too.

somouk
    Free Member

I would be going for the Golf, purely because of the adaptive cruise. If you can get the auto then do that too, mine has been excellent.

The Passat is a nice option but the new one is a bigger beasty so if you don’t need the room then stick to the golf or its estate version.

unknown
    Free Member

Good to know, ACC would be pretty nice to have. That and a DAB radio are about all I need, I’m pretty easily pleased.

Flaperon

Volvo with Driver Support Pack.

* Unless the Golf comes with Traffic Jam Assist a la Passat which includes steering, the adaptive cruise in the Volvo will be better. It’s ultra smooth compared to versions even a year or two ago.

* The active headlights on the Volvo have to be seen to be believed. Not quite as good as the LED matrix lights in some Audis, but jaw dropping nonetheless.

* Seats are probably more comfortable in the Volvo.

I suspect the DSG gearbox makes the Golf / Audi more fuel efficient (my V60 averages only 51mpg). Don’t discount the V60, it’s not as big as you’d think. Also bear in mind that the R-design is set up for 20 inch wheels and so has a reduced steering lock compared to other cars.

loddrik
    Free Member

Golf’s are always slightly better to drive than the equivalent Audis, plus a bit more space too. I’d have a Golf over an A3 everyone.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I had to pick my comp car a few months back and on paper the D4 Volvo looked great, however the engine was totally unrefined IMO. Dumped all the power really quickly and was much rougher than I expected from a Volvo. Went for a Passat in the end.

Drac

You’re in luck it has DAB with touch screen to boost.

ski
    Free Member

Ok, first off I am talking petrol versions here, not Diesel, but I guess some of the comment below could be applicable to both fuel version.

We have just ordered the new 2015, Audi A3 sportsback over the Golf.

The main reason was the quality and layout of the interior in our opinion is far better than the Golf.

Audi Negs – We did not like the new Audi auto handbrake, our youngest daughter has special needs and it worried my Wife slightly, that my daughter could activate the handbrake while on the move!

Golf Negs -inteior styling still feels slightly bland even with the GTi version when compared to to other brands.

Also, we preferred the slightly sportier handling of the Audi over the Golf, even though its not as nice to drive as our old BMW 1 series.

The Audi dealer was keener on price, so much so, with the pex, the deal on paper worked out cheaper than the Golf!

That’s all coming from a life long BMW fan too 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP if space in the back is a priority you are ruling out the A3. It’s fairly snug for adults in the back (much more so than the Golf). You can get a bike or two in the boot lying down with seats folded. As per others for the budget/spec you have the Golf is the better car, I’ve test driven the new Golf and it’s very nice and comfortable for an adult in the rear seats.

The V40 is quite small (Audi like), the V60 or XC60 are more spacious.

FYI I like the Audi Quattros and would take a Quattro over a Golf but that’s not your choice and also the Audi would most likely cost more.

I would be tempted to look around at different models, when I bought an A6 Quattro it was actually only very slightly more for a better spec than the equivalent A4. For your mileage why Diesel ? Compare with petrol models (from what I understand Diesel serving is usually more expensive so you may see that reflected in the car lease costs)

Happy shopping

EDIT: just seen @skis post which I would agree with

unknown
    Free Member

All the cars on the company list are diesel and other than fords or vauxhalls (or a Lexus I don’t want) there aren’t any alternatives, so Seat/Skoda aren’t an option but VW/Audi are. Also has to be the exact model on the list. From the sounds of things it’ll come down to a lifestyle choice – Golf GTD for me or Passat/Volvo estate for the family. Mrs U. has already stated her preference for a large Volvo so this is probably all academic anyway.

andykirk
    Free Member

Volvo. Easily the coolest.

Golfs are ten a penny.

Despite looking nice Audis are a bit ……

dragon
    Free Member

Golfs are ten a penny.

For a good reason.

Volvo. Easily the coolest.

How a car built by a Chinese owned company and based on Ford platform can be called cool is beyond me.

lowey

* The active headlights on the Volvo have to be seen to be believed. Not quite as good as the LED matrix lights in some Audis, but jaw dropping nonetheless.

The GTD has active Xenon’s as standard.

Drac

Audi Negs – We did not like the new Audi auto handbrake, our youngest daughter has special needs and it worried my Wife slightly, that my daughter could activate the handbrake while on the move!

It won’t after a certain speed iirc.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It won’t after a certain speed iirc.

Typical VW. VW cars won’t even allow you to do left foot braking. 🙁

somouk
    Free Member

VW cars won’t even allow you to do left foot braking.

Realistically that’s not a major problem and probably saves a lot of people trashing clutches by getting things wrong.

DickBarton

Volvo because it isn’t a vw or audi…easy decision. golf’s are completely uninspiring to look at and genuinely don’t encourage me to go drive. They seem fine to be in but they are dull…even the R isn’t inspiring (until the foot goes down but even that noise is synthesised!)…Audi even worse as they cost more than the vw…so you are telling folk you have shed loads of cash but have no imagination.
    Volvo…it may be a Ford platform but it works, has space and isn’t one of the other choices.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Company car time – Golf vs A3 vs V40’ is closed to new replies.