Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 382 total)
  • Clothing for a man of “a certain age”
  • tjagain

Now I know I am going to get ripped a new one given my previous comments on this topic but I do hope for a bit of real advice as well.  :-)

I’m 62 and for probably the last decade or more I have lived in “outdoor” clothes.  All my “dress up” stuff is at least a decade old.  I have decided as a part of the reinvention of myself and for a bit of self care I shall buy a new wardrobe (clothing not furniture!) but I have no idea where to start.  Its not really for peacocking or for others but for me to feel good about myself.  I don’t want to look like a sad old man trying to recapture my youth nor am I quite ready for the beige elastic waist slacks.  I want to be stylish but cool!

Obviously I’ll stick with some basic rules ie no jeans or trainers, nothing that Clarkson would wear.

But where do I start?  I do like plain but bright colours no stripes or patterns.  I can’t stand the untucked “casual” collared shirt. Chinos and polo shirts?  I was wearing than 20+ years ago.  do I go tweedy?  What shops to look in?

Have fun

kerley
    Free Member

Go to trendier shops with good brands so you can’t fall into trap of buying old man clothes but avoid anything that has been brought back into fashion if you wore it the first time around as you are too old for that.

theotherjonv

I know it’s practically a definition of you in these pages, but your refusal to consider ‘jeans’ closes so much off to you.

I agree, Clarkson in pale coloured denim with a tucked in shirt looks awful but you’re in pretty good shape from the rare photos we see and could be well dressed in ‘jeans’ cut trousers. Maybe in very dark navy or deep black.

Polo shirts in plain colours – I have a Fred Perry and a Ben Sherman in my drawers are pretty timeless (surely as a 2-tone fan you have a Fred Perry somewhere!)

Swallow your price and book yourself in with a personal shopper and let them challenge your preconceptions. At worst you’ll satisfy yourself you really don’t like jeans but frankly, I think it’s your refusal to back down and admit you’re wrong about them that holds your position than any real justification.

John Lewis, Harvey Nix, or an independent, there must be loads in Edinburgh

sc-xc

^ agree with that. Slim, dark jeans and Fred Perry twin tipped polo can look good.

The tweed thing has been massively overdone, it looks a bit contrived now.

IHN

Yeah, the no jeans thing is nuts, but if you don’t want to, fine.

I want to be stylish but cool!

There’s an old saying – you can’t buy style, you can only wear it. So the main thing is to buy clothes that you like, that are good quality and fit you well, n but, mainly, wear them like you mean it.

tjagain

When I say jeans I mean blue serge denim.  if its not blue serge denim its not jeans!  :-)  Black cotton twill is not jeans!

I just think blue denim on an older man looks too much like trying to recapture lost youth and its a very lazy way of dressing.  also looks scruffy and like wearing joggers that yo have givenup :-)  I have not owned any since my 20s when the quality available went to pot.  prior to that it was levi 501s red label only

Jordan

I’m 60 and pretty much live in jeans t-shirts and hoodies. If I want to smarten up a bit a check shirt does it for me. OH is in her mid forties and very fashion concious, she wouldn’t hesitate to say if I looked wrong.

Edit:

I just think blue denim on an older man looks too much like trying to recapture lost youth and its a very lazy way of dressing. also looks scruffy 🙂

Hah! You typed that while I was replying. Pretty much sums me up really.

theotherjonv

but I think the problem is that many of us – men and women – don’t really know / accept our body shapes, colouring, etc. and instead look at photos of clothes on models and think that’s what we’d like to look like. That’s where a personal shopper / stylist / even a critical friend (stereotype warning!! a woman or a gay friend) can help to analyse those things and put you into clothes that suit you far more.

My wife did it a while back at one of the Department stores, turned her nose up at some of the stuff the shopper brought to her to try on, but tried it on and ‘loved it’ – maybe not exactly those garments but the shape and cut to accentuate her shape rather than hide it as she tended to. It has revolutionised what she shops for now.

From the photos I see of TJ I reckon he could be made to be very stylish and elegant, if Gok Wan got hold of him ;-) Rather than someone who’s fallen into the sale rail at Mountain Warehouse ;-)

There are some dreadful middle aged men in denim looks and TJ doesn’t want to be one of them. So refuses all jeans as a result and closes off potential. Try it out and then decide (he won’t though – too stubborn)

And don’t FFS end up in chinos instead…… if you won’t do jeans out of principle and will do chinos there’s no hope for you.

twonks

Wear what you want, how you wish to wear it.

In my experience (at a youth like 51), it is essential to feel comfortable over everything else. Any discomfort or self awareness causes a degree of stress and anxiety. However minor, these detract from ones overall demeaner and portrayal of confidence etc.

A bit deep for a clothes discussion admittedly but, whatever you choose make sure it makes you feel good above all.

tjagain

Rather than someone who’s fallen into the sale rail at Mountain Warehouse

thats me right now!

theotherjonv

I have not owned any since my 20s when the quality available went to pot.  prior to that it was levi 501s red label only

The words of a man who hasn’t tried any decent jeans since 1980.

Dozens of quality brands of high quality selvedge denim out there. That’s like riding an Apollo and declaring that all bikes are shit, you’re never getting one

tjagain

Jackets?  ( sports coat / tweeds type)  a good call or not?  Houndstooth?  I do have a few

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Arcteryx
    Veilance
    Acronym

Your wallet will be crying

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Don’t forget the accessories. Cravats and monocle will save a lot of bad outfits, trust me.

FuzzyWuzzy

I just think blue denim on an older man looks too much like trying to recapture lost youth and its a very lazy way of dressing.  also looks scruffy and like wearing joggers that yo have givenup

FFS, I’ve not heard such pretentious guff in a quite a while… Anyways as for a recommendation for smart casual type stuff (if that’s the image you’re trying to portray) then Spoke would be my choice for simple stuff that’s decent quality and you can customise the sizing for a good fit.

stwhannah

You’re only 3 years or so older than my about to be new husband! He wears canvas Carhartts almost exclusively – as trousers or shorts, in a variety of colours. Dressing up smart is just a newer, cleaner pair! There’s a particular style that has a pocket in for reading glasses – useful for a man of a certain age?!

On top he generally wears a shirt, but not the sort that would take a tie. Maybe something from Pendleton. He did buy a shirt in Fat Face when we were in Edinburgh too.

If pushed into extreme smartness, he’d wear a jacket but not a suit. But he manages to work as an attorney (and get married) without resorting to such extremes most of the time.

If you like outdoors stuff and feel comfortable in it, I reckon start there. Carhartt, Finisterre, Pendleton (not sure what the UK equivalent would be), Howies – find just a few nice things in a quality natural fabric instead of technical fleece etc that you might take to the hills for lightweight needs. If you feel comfortable you’ll look like you suit what you’re wearing, almost regardless of what it is.

Don’t shop in Rohan unless you want to look like a geography teacher :-)

mogrim

I just think blue denim on an older man looks too much like trying to recapture lost youth and its a very lazy way of dressing. also looks scruffy and like wearing joggers that yo have givenup

There’s blue jeans and there’s blue jeans. You don’t need to look like a reject from an AC/DC concert, you could actually buy some that fit properly.

IHN

Wear what you want, how you wish to wear it.

In my experience (at a youth like 51), it is essential to feel comfortable over everything else. Any discomfort or self awareness causes a degree of stress and anxiety. However minor, these detract from ones overall demeaner and portrayal of confidence etc.

A bit deep for a clothes discussion admittedly but, whatever you choose make sure it makes you feel good above all.

This. And by ‘comfortable’, I, and I assume Twonks, mean ‘unselfconscious and confident’ rather than ‘elasticated waist’

BadlyWiredDog

I want to be stylish but cool!

Why? Mostly I want to be comfortable – physically and emotionally – without looking like a tramp / someone who’s just escaped from K2 basecamp. ‘Stylish’ and ‘cool’ are all about how other people perceive you. Does that really matter to you? Rather than blowing a shedload of dosh on a whole new wardrobe and personal shopping, why not go quality secondhand shopping and just buy one or two things you just really like? The planet will thank you.

ps: the missus says: ‘If he was a girl, I’d suggest he go shopping for clothes with a friend’ – presumably one who’s taste you trust/admire rather than some tramp in ripped jeans and a knackered fleece.

RustyNissanPrairie

Good quality Selvedge dark denim – slim cut, certainly no boot cut or 70’s flappy/flared shit. Single turn ups.

Muted Vans hi tops if I’m low key or quality brogue boots otherwise.

Long wool single breasted coat, nice colourful Barbour scarf.

Few nice wool jumpers

Quite a few Ted Baker shirts – their #5 sizing fits me perfectly so I can buy online whenever they have a sale.

I have a Tkmaxx nearby but shop online click and collect.

MrsRNP used to have a clothing/fashion business so that helps, buy good quality in the sale.

tjagain

I was once described at a party as “looking like a post apocalyptic geography teacher” ! :-)

Pretty much all the men I know will wear all dark colours and ether outdoor clothes or black casual trousers with a black t shirt with a metal band on it!  Identikit and boring!  One or two its the full on tweedy look

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Do you have a fashion conscious female friend that could go shopping with you?

tjagain

I did think you were going for the beige elasticated waist trousers IHN

why not go quality secondhand shopping and just buy one or two things you just really like? The planet will thank you.

That is a good call – we have some good vintage clothing shops in Edinburgh. I have a drapecoat from one that I bought for a 50s theme wedding / in place of a tux

IHN

In a stating the bleeding obvious stylee –

Stop overthinking it, asking for other people’s clothing ideas of like asking for saddle recommendations. If you want to revamp your style:

1) Go to a shop with a decent range of decent quality clothes, like John Lewis. Pick some clothes you like the look of. Try them on. If they fit well, and you like how you look in them, buy them.

2) Go through your existing stuff and ask yourself “do I actually like this, or am I just wearing out of habit?” If it’s the latter, get rid.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Kilt and hand knit jumper if it’s cold.
    Kilt and t’shirt with political slogan if warm.

Done.

tjagain

Do you have a fashion conscious female friend that could go shopping with you?

A good call.

weeksy

Jackets? ( sports coat / tweeds type) a good call or not? Houndstooth? I do have a few

You’re 60, not 80… tweed jackets… lol.

Are you trying to re-invent your wardrobe or be a completely different person ?

You can’t make a person into a different one, only a facade.

Be happy with who you are, let your clothing be you… if that’s Mountain Warehouse, that’s cool.

tjagain

Are you trying to re-invent your wardrobe or be a completely different person ?

Its about self care and a mood boost.  its just to please me.  I used to work quite hard to be stylish in my own way but that was 20+ years ago.  I’ve slumped into mediocrity since.   I don’t want to look like I got stuck in the 80s / 90s tho

My counselor suggested I needed a bit of self care / self love ( no not that sort!)  I thought a new wardrobe might be a good way of doing this.

theotherjonv

personal shopper and no preconceptions. Do it, and then post pics of the new gad about town.

Good luck. Self-love is always 3 minutes well spent.

kerley
    Free Member

Agree, it sounds like a good thing to do. A lot of older people have just given up and wear a mixture of beige stuff. It is good to take a bit of pride in how you look and you may feel the better for it.

RustyNissanPrairie

With TKMaxx you can’t wander in thinking ‘im buying some new jeans/jumper/shirt’ etc as it’s guaranteed you won’t find anything!
    I search through looking for labels/brands – a lot is manufactured for TKMaxx nowadays but you can find the odd high end genuinely cheap/reduced item but it’s only a slim chance of that happening. More often I come away empty handed. The bigger city centre stores are better than the out of town retail park ones.

Selfridge’s have some decent consessions/brands. Push the limits a bit colour wise – but don’t go full Timmy Mallet.

grahamt1980

Surely you just need some ripped jeans and a leather bike jacket to go with your maroon electric buggy for going to the shops?

More seriously get some decent jeans (maybe talk to brant)

intheborders
    Free Member

I’m about your age, but do wear jeans, nicely cut jeans.

The key to looking good is getting clothes that actually fit – my revelation was during the 90’s working for a couple of weeks in Thailand and deciding to buy a $99 suits made-to-fit advertised in a tailors shop I passed.

He showed me what it’d look like by pinning up the (quality) suit I was actually wearing.

I didn’t buy a $99 suit; I bought 3 quality suits (wool, cashmere and silk) and a dozen cotton shirts – all fitted to me. Also had to buy an extra bag to bring them all home :-)

Mail-order I can recommend Charles Tyrwhitt as I can get clothes that actually fit me – over 6′, long legged but very slim and with long arms vs my body. And you can actually try them on in your own time.

https://www.charlestyrwhitt.com

sillysilly
    Free Member

https://rivetandhide.com/

If too £££ use for inspiration and grab bits at Carhart / Uniqlo / TK.

Biggest problem I see with most people is not buying clothes that actually fit them properly.

What waist / leg size are you?

Harry_the_Spider

A mere 54 here.

I drifted away from jeans a few years back. Not a conscious decision, it just sort of happened.

Hebtroco canvas trousers and a hoodie seems to be my default state of dress now. Not sure if it is a good look, but I’m sticking with it.

weeksy

If too £££

I’ve clearly lost touch with reality… £265 for jeans !!!!!

I might go £40 in Next for a pair… but even that is troubling me :D

tjagain

silly silly – I’m [pretty much a medium sized bloke!  5’9 3/4″.  Not totally sure on trouser size but given I’ve put on a few pounds probably 34 waist, 32 leg?  cyclists legs and arse tho – slimfit trousers that fit my legs and arse are baggy at the waist

BadlyWiredDog

In this week’s episode of Fashion Carnage TV, the denizens of an online cycling forum pool their ideas to spruce up TJ, a man ‘of a certain age’ who has recently emerged from the sale aisle of Mountain Warehouse, but is desperate for change.

TJ’s longstanding aversion to denim jeans makes him a tough proposition for a bunch of middle-aged wannabe fashionistas who wear little else and suggestions range from off-the-peg, Springsteen-style workwear through to made-to-measure Thai silk pajama suits via classic black leather jackets teamed with second-hand tartan trews.

Will TJ soar high like a majestic moleskin butterfly or stagger from the fitting room in ripped jeans teamed with a tweed sports jacket? Will he come to regret his unfathomable decision to seek fashion advice from a bunch of middle-aged cycling tramps? One thing’s certain, we can’t wait for the big reveal!!

chakaping

As above, Uniqlo are one of the better options.

Get a pair of these if they have your size in stock:
    https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/uniqlo-u-selvedge-regular-fit-jeans-452533.html

And something like this to go with:
    https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/hickory-denim-regular-fit-work-shirt-regular-collar-456633.html

Pieface

Take your time, ie don’t rifle through a couple of shops and settle on something for the sake of it. It could take full days of weeks to get a few decent outfits. Also it may be quite expensive. If you can take a companion for a second opinion then that will help. Also a personal shopper may make suggestions that you’d never have thought of before.

Are there any images on Instagram of styles that you like? Could be helpful to get you started. Your closed mind to denim sounds like you’re closing off a lot of options, yet accept that your current look (which is as a result of your attitude to fashion / certain clothes), needs an overhaul. Therefore your attitude to clothing needs to change.

Fit is important, but also knowing what makes you look good, and feeling proud / happy about looking good or smart is important.

You can take a horse to water, but you can’t milk it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 382 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.