• This topic has 2,564 replies, 264 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Merak.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 2,565 total)
  • Tamiya and other R/C vehicles (not just for Christmas)
  • drewd

That’s why I am trying to resist. As you say the introduction to it is cheap, but it soon becomes a money pit. If my old stuff sold for enough to cover the cost I’d buy one in a heartbeat, but it was nowhere near. Unsurprising really when I listed it for spares or repairs and you can get something this good for so little money. I was shocked that you could get something ready to run with a proper ladder chassis for this price.

If I still want one in a few months I might get one to play about with in the summer. Scale crawlers/trail trucks appeal as they look awesome, can be used almost anywhere and I could potentially use one when walking the dogs.

RustySpanner

Out on the clear bits today.

Plasma Edge is four wheel drive, easy to  upgrade,  simple, fun and I can race it  locally.

Absolutely delighted with it, tbh.

However.

It’s occured to me that for the cost of another Tamiya kit plus electronics I could have a very, very nice RTR.

Quite fancy something silly, bombproof, fast and two wheel drive.

HPI Blitz/Firestorm Flux appeals hugely for simple, mindless fun and a bit more versatile than a Wild Willy.

Cheaper than the equivalent Traxxas and seem to be a slightly nicer design.

Huge park next door with all types of surfaces, loads of potential.

The new Tamiya 2CV on the M-05 chassis is giving me the eye as a Q car stealth racer  project too.

Help.

Northwind

Well it seems like I’ve stripped a gear somewhere in the madbull but I got a good 20 minutes of brushless full throttle snow-roosting madness out of it first 😛 I think the crawler might be slightly more my pace, it’s certainly a bit easier to avoid trees at walking speed. But what a laugh. Fair to say it has more motor than it has steering, suspension or grip. I have shocks for it, and it needs more rear spring as the extra power just squats it out instantly, but I wanted to try it stock first.

View post on imgur.com

You can almost hear my camera’s sensor cry out in pain… Paint needs a little work, annoyingly I decided “one more coat”, when it definitely didn’t need it, and instantly got a run on one side, proper amateur hour. Then it’s time for stickers.

aazlad
    Free Member

Stumbled upon this thread….got a bit nostalgic about the 80’s….bought a Grasshopper.  Oops.  I’ll say it’s for mini Aazlad (4). Hope it’s here for the weekend.

mrl

I am keen in getting a new toy but cannot spare much cash. Are cheaper ones okay? Like this https://uk.gearbest.com/rc-cars/pp_351315.html

Or are they still bad idea? Just want a cheap intro. Or should I get something second hand in eBay?

Cheers

RustySpanner

Ouch, wtf is the colour on that Mad Bull? Ultra violent? 🙂

And it’s stock apart from the battery? Was warned off playing in the snow because of the risk of frying the ESC – any issues?

The servo screw keeps loosening on the Plasma Edge – just about to try a little blue Loctite.

Anyone else have this?

Aaaand  just about to order some blingy blue anodised stuff – servo and motor mounts. Just because I think I might have been a bit heavy handed with the plastic original bits.

Might put some metal hexes (see me with the lingo) on as I plan on changing the wheels anyway – standard ones are a proprietary Tamiya size, DF03 wheels are standard buggy size, look good and bolt straight on – happy days.

And a quick question –

Where’s the best place to get some spare screws apart from amusingly priced model shops? B&Q? Motor factors?

Ta.

Northwind

@rusty, it’s hycote Neon Pink. I have some stickers to, er, make it even harder to look at but first the paint needs proper finishing. The wheels are a randomly lovely high-metallic BMW black which came out great.

It was a no-electronics kit, so I fitted all that stuff out myself and it just happened to all be waterproof by luck-  I put a £25 chinese goolrc brushless motor and ESC in it, 2S lipo (it’ll run on 3S but I think all it’d do is wheelspin on the spot), MG996R servo and waterproof flysky RX. Though, waterproof in RC use does seem to mean water resistant- my crawler ought to drive under water but I bet I’d regret trying. Only other mod is bearings. Though I do have some absima shocks for it too.

(I did plan to run it stock first, but I may have put the stock motor down on top of some screws, and the magnets instantly hoovered them inside… 1337 skills)

Oh, cheap nuts and bolts = ebay. I bought a couple of assortment boxes so pretty much whatever I lose I can fix

Northwind

@mrl, I dipped my toes with cheapies but one of them was fairly rubbish, and the other one instantly became an upgrade project so I’m not sure. no doubt there are good budget cars but it’s hard to tell the good from the bad.

RustySpanner

So go on then, what did you break? And any pictures of the finished article?

Still not managed to break the Tamiya, being able to turn the power down (on the controller) for the granddaughter is a great advantage.

Am currently contemplating a Maverick Scout crawler for her fifth birthday – obviously, I’ll look after it for her. £140 RTR and gets pretty good reviews for a beginner crawler.

Have also filled in the application for Bury Metro RC Club – I feel the need to play with other people  🙂

As a newbie to this I’ve found the whole thing really good fun so far. Took the car for a play in the park today and only felt slightly embarrassed. Wife came too and finds it hilarious that kids of all ages are entranced by the thing – everyone asked for a go.

It’s 11.45 on a Sunday night and I’m just about to go for a play on our quiet road. 😃

aazlad
    Free Member

Built my Grasshopper 2 up on Saturday.  Went together well, no breakages.  Completely stock with the exception of a bearing set to replace bushings.

It was dark by the time I’d finished so I grabbed the Exposure Joystick and head band mound and went for a walk along the old railway behind our house.

Great fun! It went like a dream. It’s surprising what it can get trough in terms of light mud and gravel.  Braved a few step downs at speed.  Brilliant fun.  It’s going to be too fast for the 4 year old for now though.   Love it!

RustySpanner

Out today with our four year old grand daughter in Chaddy Park. Nice vibe, good caff.

🙂

Over two hours with two 4600mha batteries.

Much too fast for her really, but she can steer now, although she prefers chasing it around with her mates.

Survived several rose beds, a few high speed curbs, a well dressed Whippet and being dived on by small people.

Enjoying learning how to drive the thing and amazed it’s held together so long.

Would like it to be a bit faster, but I’ll probably leave it as it is. Fun as it is and I fancy racing it in a stock class.

Off for a play now…..

demonracer

Heres my latest build, it’s not tamiya but was purchased around Christmas time!

Northwind

Also not Tamiya but I’ve been having a lot of fun with the crawler… Took it to an indoor trials comp last week at Scalefest, I walked in and took one look at the woodwork course and thought “this is going to suck” but actually it was ace- lots of nice trucks, a drifting comp and some really sound people. And my wee cheapy RGT was amazingly good, the stock tyres stick like glue to wood so it could get up places some very expensive trucks couldn’t (or cheekily push them up the ramps when they got stuck) but I made too many silly mistakes and ended up dropping off the podium, slightly annoyed tbh- if I’d been just a little more cautious I’d have been second I think.

Truck has xtraspeed axles now as the stock ones aren’t up to heavy wheels and grippy tyres. And I swapped in a 540 motor, basically just because. And smashed the bejeezus out of the stock shell so it’s getting a cherokee XJ hardshell and a killerbodies pajero lexan shell painted up just now. And what should be a downgrade- I bought it a set of Maxxis Trepadors off an SCX10 but they’re not as good as the cheapies so I’m going back. Next stop, lights and a bit of an interior- I don’t want to go heavy but the Pajero looks so daft as you can see right through it and out the bottom.

So here is its last outing as Ugly Orange Truck

Naturally, in my mission to not buy any more stuff, I’ve also bought an Axial Bomber- in my defence, it was spectacularly cheap and I think I might end up just fixing it and flipping it for a profit. Or, I might end up backflipping it off a cliff for a loss.

v8ninety

I bloody love RC stuff. This is my most funnest truck, despite it being probably one of the slowest. Mods/upgrades include but not limited to;

axle strengthening tubes

heavy duty steering rods

two speed gearbox

FPV camera and transmitter

Its running a sensors brushless programmable motor, and I have a hacked Tx with (virtually) infinitely programmable functions.

Wraith

Northwind

Hey, on that subject I don’t suppose anyone has a set of good quality 2.2s spare? My Bomber comes without, I’m going to get it up and running on my 1.9s but that’s just a crime, and a set of Hyraxes are going to cost almost as much as the truck did 😛

jimplops

Ooops, not tamiya but I too have fallen back into the rc world lol, FTX outback 2 due to land on the doorstep tomorrow.

Been on flipping through the msuk threads and see that Northwind of this parish is on there lol. Another forum to join 😮

RustySpanner

Any updates? Someone must have spent money in three weeks…. 🙂

The Tamiya is still going strong, no major mechanicals but I have managed to split the shell by running it into a tree.

I only went for the alloy motor mount eventually, I’m still happy with it stock…so far.

Dampers will get upgraded eventually, needs stiffer springs on the back and slightly softer ones on the front. Could do with more damping too….

So, a Neo Scorcher body shell next on the list I reckon….

Also have a minor birthday coming  up and am seriously tempted by one of these little Carisma GT24’s……

Only little, but brushless, small,  tough and £70.00.

Can anyone else recommend anything small and fun for under £100 complete?

FTX Ibex and Outback Mini on the list ATM…

Ta.

mattbee

Just bought a Gelande D90.

When it turns up I intend to make it like my old Ninety, a bit of a shed with knackered paint, rusty crossmember etc…

Have already picked up some parts like early door handles, fuel filler etc. Can’t wait to get started!

timbur
    Free Member

Finished building the lads new Racing Fighter yesterday.  Rather annoyed to find it’s bloody quick off the blocks with the torque tuned motor. It’s out sprints my Madbull with Sports tuned motor but I’ve got him over distance (just)  I guess the smaller wheels help it up to speed quicker.

so brushless now I think :0)  Can’t let him be out sprinting now can I!!

Northwind

Can we change this title to something that makes more since, since it’s not christmas and it’s not really about Tamiyas?

Speaking of Not Tamiyas, sunday’s ride was a bit different, I met some guys off the internet and they took me up the whangie. TRX-4 is the Orange Five of scalers it turns out

Orange Truck looks a bit different now

v8ninety

I met some guys off the internet and they took me up the whangie.

I’m sorry, what? 😳😳😳😂

Nice selection of rigs. I’ve always loved this sort of stuff, but never found another adult in RealLife™️ Who doesn’t think it’s a bit ridiculous 😏

Northwind

It’s not a bit ridiculous, it’s totally ridiculous. You just have to embrace it.

timbur
    Free Member

Whats the go to for Radio gear for a basher? (ie not fancy but functional)

I need another one and it appears my Acom Techniplus is a bit vintage :O)

Use to stick but happy to try pistol.  Oh, it needs a receiver as well.

Cheers

Tim

demonracer

I personally like the spectrum handsets but a flysky gt3c or  Absima CR3P are both good radios for the money. If you would prefer to use with sticks then an Absima SR2S should see you right for less that £35.

timbur
    Free Member

Blimey, they’ve got screens on them!  I struggle enough to keep control of the car without a screen to look at as well.

Seriously – thanks.  I’ll go and take a better look :O)

Northwind

The screen’s just for setup really. I have the Flysky GT3C, it does the job very nicely. Though, the whole setup system is irritatingly unintuitive sometimes, it can’t quite decide what buttons do what.

ThePerfectKiss

Oh go on then… Current Tamiya garage looks like this… Grasshopper Black Edition in build, Hornet ReRe built as everyday driver for me and the kids, Mettalic Black Edition Hornet (boxed and to be built soon, might end up as a ‘shelf queen’) and Rising Fighter just acquired as boy #2’s, links below…

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nashville/41134039374/in/dateposted-public/

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25ESGPq]Tamiya garage![/url] by Ian Nash, on Flickr

steveno

Looking at one of these for me and my lad to play with in the woods, shortlist at the moment includes

Ftx mauler

Ftx outback 2

Rgt hsp

any thoughts or advice on which one? or any others? Approx £150

Probably something which can be upgraded as we go😊

RustySpanner

Can we change this title to something that makes more since, since it’s not christmas and it’s not really about Tamiyas?

Fine by me!

I’m still at the teenage lust stage – pretty much everything turns me on……🙂

Suggestions for a title?

I’m FTX curious, nice  model shop man reckons quality of materials (not design or built) a bit cheaper compared to some other stuff, but really rates them. I get the impression they sell a lot of spares. 🙂

Not fair. I want huge smilies like the other kids…

Northwind

@steveno- the Mauler and Outback 2 are both ace but they do tend to break a few parts- the stub axles on the Outback aren’t super strong (especially if you put weights in the wheels) and they both have weak diff centres (which you can upgrade to a metal part, but it costs a wee bit). The servo is weak and also the stock electrics are a bit pish but that’s pretty much par for hte course at the price. (the servos in a £500 TRX4 are a bit weak!). I reckon this might be more demoralising for kids?

I love my RGT (which is basically an Outback 2) but there’s not that much left stock 😉

The RGT Rock Cruiser that looks like the Outback is pretty poor, basically it’s the same as the Outback 1 and not really worth considering. The longer one that looks like a wee flatbed is what I have, it’s a lot better- best of all of the RGT/HSP/FTX/ECX crowd- but pricier too.

I’ll have a used mauler for sale Real Soon Now, once I finish putting it back together- it’s basically a stock chassis etc but with better electronics and servo. I’ll probably be looking for about £150 posted for it, if that’s of any interest.

steveno

Northwind thanks for that, very helpful, will probably be buying new but do you have any pics?

Northwind

Not just yet, I’ll fire them up here when I get them though. New is nice though!

steveno

Thanks northwind, could you explain what you’ve upgraded? Not sure I’ll understand though!

Cougar

Suggestions for a title?

How’s this?

RustySpanner

Spot on, I reckon.

Cheers!

Northwind

“Thanks northwind, could you explain what you’ve upgraded? Not sure I’ll understand though!”

Basically the FTXs come with a little combined radio and control box inside, which is just not much good and is also unreliable. And the steering servo- the motor that works the steering- is weak and likewise unreliable, full of plastic. I got this truck without any of that stuff anyway so I’ve put better bits in- not top end, just solid. Basically just brings the electronics up to teh same spec as the rest of hte truck.

Northwind

PS thanks Cougar!

BearBack
    Free Member

About to order a Mad Bull.. (for the 6/8yo)
    Ultimately run time is the most important thing as well as reducing the speed to a manageable level./
    So, what to I need to do?
    370 brushless 8t motor?
    Big nimh battery?
    Do I need a different ESC to the tamiya kit included one if running brushless?
    Bearing kit and anything else if I’m ordering from Tamico?

Tactic ttx300 and a servo? Any servo recomendations?

Gunz
    Free Member
    VanHalen

If you are building a new kit get bearings in straight away. Some ECUs are programmable so you can limit speeds that way.

My mega retro sonic fighter is a bit tired now but it’s excellent. I think a mad bull will be on the cards this winter I think… the big wheels will work better on the under-used garden pump track!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 2,565 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.