Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Chilli tech bullet helmet cameras (or other cheap recommendations)
  • ross980
    Free Member

Has anyone got an experience of these?
    https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bullet-action-camera/
    I’d quite like a (full) HD camera for recording biking, less so for recording close passes, but the ability to record number plates would be advantageous. I don’t want to splash the cash on a GoPro as I just want to have a go recording and editing.
    Amy other recommendations?

thenorthwind

Sorry, no experience, but that looks great for the money. I think about buying something like this everytime I get cut up on the road. Following with interest.

Ewan
    Free Member

I ordered one of those a couple of days ago. I’ll let you know if it’s shit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Look good, my wife started commuting the 6 miles across town to the hospital at the start of lockdown, and is now hooked, I’d like something forward and rear facing for her.

MrSparkle

It does look good. The reviews of the company are very good too. Even the odd dickhead who has made a mistake or cocked something up themselves seem to get sorted out by the owner. I have been after something like this for a while so will chance my arm. Cheers for the link OP. 👍

roger_mellie

Thanks OP. I’ve been looking for a camera after a few close passes recently. Trying to find something that has more than 1 hour battery for a reasonable budget has been a challenge!

The offer has a dispatch date of 30th June, so I’ll come back and update after that. I’ve ordered a spare battery too.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

4 hours recording per battery (at unknown Res) for £39 for one or £66 for two sounds very interesting… Would cover practically all my rides.

Only danger is you lose half your life reviewing footage each day!

mrchrispy

naaaa, its rare I check my fly6.
    might do 2 just for the spare battery 🙂

anyone got one yet?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It’s a pre-order promo, dispatch end of June.

I wonder if you can add overlays to the recording from power meter, hrm etc. to make a momento clip of a climb a bit more intresting without the “snazzy” background music!

plus-one

I’ve got one it’s good 🙂

malv173
    Free Member

I ordered one earlier this month, with a predicted dispatch date of yesterday. Got an email from them to say there had been a delay in shipping so it is likely going to be the end of next week before it’s posted. Very happy with the communication.  I’ll try and remember to report back once I’ve had a play.

Glad to hear a positive report plus one!

eskay

Taken a punt on two of these, I have some of the Aldi Fly copy rear lights but nothing for the front. I have had a successful prosecution from the rear light/camera.

CraigW
    Free Member

I wonder if you can add overlays to the recording from power meter, hrm etc. to make a momento clip of a climb a bit more intresting without the “snazzy” background music!

Could try the Garmin Virb Edit software. It lets you add overlays from GPS etc. Seems to work with videos from other cameras, not just Garmin. I have used it for GoPro videos. Though may need to convert it to the right format etc.
    Or DashWare is a similar thing.

huckersneck
    Free Member

Can anyone offer an opinion as to the low light performance of these cameras?

MrSparkle

Am I going to need to order an SD card to go with the camera?

anagallis_arvensis

Yep

ossify

Can anyone offer an opinion as to the low light performance of these cameras?

This is the pre-order for the new version, so probably no one has it yet.
    I’ve ordered as well, so will try and update here once it arrives! Estimated despatch date 13/July now…

malv173
    Free Member

I got another update from Paul at Chilli saying that they are still waiting on delivery. They are hoping to have them by the end of next week. I’ll update if I hear more next week. Or if it arrives. But again very happy for a further update. Nice to see they actually seem to care.

huckersneck
    Free Member

Thanks for observing this to me, Ossify; I’d got the wrong end of the stick.

malv173
    Free Member

My cam was delivered Friday. Only shot a few seconds of footage in the house, but it seems to work fine. I don’t think it’ll be any good for anything off-road, but I’ve only bought it for commuting, after reading the recent threads about folk having pretty thought provoking incidents.

Paul (Mr Chilli Tech) doesn’t recommend these for mountain biking, and says in one of his videos on YouTube that they are mainly for recording incidents/commuting type rides as the video quality isn’t the greatest.

I’ll be recording my commute on Monday, so I’ll try and post something more after that.

I can only say good things about Chilli though. He’s been spot-on with communication throughout. The cam also came really neatly packaged. No excess nonsense.

eskay

Looking forward to getting mine, I already have a rear cam so will be fully tooled up when they arrive.

thenorthwind

Anyone else received their camera(s) or still waiting on one?

I ordered a pair for me and a friend about 2 weeks ago, when the dispatch said end of June. Haven’t received anything and now the order page says dispatch 13th of July. Not sure if that just applies to new orders or if they’re all delayed.

Haven’t heard anything from the company – an email to say “sorry, they’re a bit delayed” would be fine. I sent them a quick message via their website (web form seems to be the only method of contact apart from calling them, which I’ll do if I don’t hear back soon) but no response.

@malv173
    Interested to know how you got in touch with the guy 🙂

theboatman
    Free Member

I ordered one, but thought on the ad it advised dispatch date was going to be the 13th of July, so hadn’t chased it up.

anagallis_arvensis

I ordered on 20th June, it arrived today.

thenorthwind

That bodes well. I ordered mine on the 22nd, so hopefully it’ll come this week.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s weird, cos that type of bullet cam (although without a replaceable battery) used to be about £13-£15 on Ebay, I’ve got one, and my brother bought one for motorbiking, but they’ve shot up in price, so that Chilli tech is a good deal.
    I’ve got a Polaroid Cube now, and just ordered some cheap copies from China (£7!) so will post what they’re like when they eventually turn up.

thenorthwind

Mine arrived today. Yet to try it but will report back.

Is there any documentation anywhere? It all looks fairly self-explanatory, but it would be good to have a quick guide to what pressing the button does when and what the LED colours mean, etc. Nothing in the package or on the site as far as I can see, which is a just a little bit lame IMHO.

malv173
    Free Member

@thenorthwind they’ve got a playlist on YouTube.

There’s one on setting the timestamp. Which you’ll have to do pretty much before every ride! But someone has written a bit of code that updates it easily.

Also,  I’ve found when i switch mine on it automatically records.  I managed to record hours of pitch blackness instead of my commute on Monday 🤣🤣🤣

malv173
    Free Member

The quality is ok when static. We filmed our greyhounds to see what they get up to on their own.  Turns out, it’s not much at all! I’ve hopefully recorded my first close pass today. I’ll update this evening hopefully.

anagallis_arvensis

someone has written a bit of code that updates it easily.

Any links?

thenorthwind

@malv173 Thanks for that.

Maybe I’m just old-fashioned, I mean I am in my 30s now, but I find it mildly irksome that I have to watch a series of videos when a list of operations like

Long press: turn on and record
    Short press: stop recording
    Solid blue light: on
    Flashing blue light: recording
    Flashing red light: charging
    Solid red light: charged

would have taken 30 seconds to write and less time to read. I suppose I’ve done it now (from memory though so don’t quote me on it).

Also, in one of the videos he says that all the cameras have been dispatched. Wouldn’t have killed them to have sent that by email, y’know, to the people who’ve bought and paid for them. Their YouTube channel isn’t even linked on the website AFAICS.

eskay

Anyone know what the second vented cap is for?

anagallis_arvensis

Vented one allows sound in, other one keeps water out.

eskay

Thanks!

roger_mellie

Thanks @thenorthwind for the instructions (from memory I appreciate). I agree, wouldn’t take much to have these on the website.

Will any old SD card do?

Ewan
    Free Member

Example footage here – probably only the SD version is available straight away, HD versions appear after a while.

Essentially, not terrible, but not go-pro quality. Might be better in better light (this was recorded at about 6:30 this evening).

eskay

Anyone know what the right hand switch underneath the USB socket does?

Ewan
    Free Member

It’s mentioned on one of the videos. It let’s it record whilst connected to power. It also stops it charging tho.

thenorthwind

@roger_mellie no probs!

I think an SD card of a certain class (10??) is required – one of the videos on YouTube is on that topic.

Tried mine out on the way to the pub to pick up some beer. First thing I noticed is I put it upside down 😀 – I put it under the bars out of the way, with the button on the bottom. I didn’t even think about it since it’s round!

The video I recorded was pretty useless TBH. It seemed to have exposed for the sky, so cars, etc. were very dark and I couldn’t read any number plates. I’m guessing there’s no way to control the exposure, so I’ll try pointing down more so it exposes more for the road. Could just be a teething issue.

anagallis_arvensis

First thing I noticed is I put it upside down 😀

Glad I am not the only one.

Mine seemed decent, seemed to struggle a bit more when it pissed down.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Chilli tech bullet helmet cameras (or other cheap recommendations)’ is closed to new replies.