Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Chain Oil on Carpet – Help me fix it!!
  • Killer
    Free Member

Firstly it would be best to avoid placing any blame on what has occurred.  lets just say we don’t know how or why it happened and we will all move on to find the best strategy moving forward.

There is a reasonable about of chain marks on the house carpet.  It seems to want to stay there and not be removed.  it is in a location that nobody else has noticed (yet) but soon will be

What cleaning products and techniques would you recommend I try before there is a suspicious fire in the room that we don’t know how that would have started either?

garage-dweller

lets just say we don’t know how or why it happened and we will all move on to find the best strategy moving forward.

The first step to resolution is clearly to identify a scapegoat for you…the unknown offender.

It probably depends on the chain oil as to what might shift it.  If it’s Putoline you’re probably stuffed.  😉

I assume you’ve progressed from
    Bio degreaser through IPA to White Spirit already?

Have you tried a concentrated solution of lemon washing up liquid and a sponge/scourer or nail/old tooth brush? I’m pretty sure it was this combo that saved a charge on returning my old company car many moons ago.

slowoldman

I think step one is make sure you have written a will.

duncancallum

Automotive brake cleaner and a toothbrush 

I’ve worked in enough workshops and been an idiot with my own stuff to advise brake cleaner is a wonder product 

fossy

WD40 – disolves oil. Really.

fossy

Failing WD40, Screw fix no-nonsense degreaser.

tall_martin

Good luck 😃
    I’ve got nothing helpful to add

BoardinBob

Forget WD40

Isopropanol is the answer

We had a rental house a few years ago and I’d setup my turbo trainer in the converted loft which had a pink carpet!

Had to clean the place properly when we moved out and of course the pink carpet had oil marks on it.

Sprayed them with IPA, left for a few minutes then blotted with a cloth and removed every single oil mark

jamiemcf

How many pages before killer is, well, killed?
    Maybe Killer’sKiller will join the forum???

steveh

@killer we have a no blame culture but it’s all your fault.

Degreaser, washing up liquid, scissors for a tiny carpet trim.

longdog
    Free Member

Got a rug you can cover it with? Or move the furniture about?

jca

Use your chain to ensure a consistent pattern is evident across the carpet, and claim it was how it always looked…

sharkattack

Baby oil has worked for me in the past.

Poopscoop

Killer… a man not long for this world.

Name absolutely and definitely checks out for his Mrs though. Particularly after the chain oil marks now have wd40, lard, margarine and petrol stains added to them. 😁

Thoughts and prayers.

(Now expecting a post from a new member tomorrow called Mrs Killer about how to remove “claret stains” from carpet, curtains and the boot of a car.)

blokeuptheroad

After doing your best with brake cleaner or IPA, a careful ‘shave’ of the carpet surface with a razor will remove just the very top surface and any residual marks. For extra sneakiness you can shave a bit of carpet fluff from a clean bit and glue it to the stained bit to camouflage it.  This is a risky strategy as it is unlikely to survive first contact with the vacuum cleaner. However, if you are elsewhere when this happens, you have plausible deniability.  A gambit that may work is ‘that mark wasn’t there when I left this morning, have you trodden something in whilst hoovering?  Good luck!

blokeuptheroad

Baby oil has worked for me in the past

Yeah, I can imagine but what about cleaning the OP’s carpet?

crazy-legs

You’re all looking at this the wrong way. The answer is to ADD to the stains.

As you’re a helpful chap, why don’t you do some painting and decorating of said room. Then “accidentally” knock the tin of paint over.

Then claim on the home insurance for a new carpet.

Poopscoop

Yeah, I can imagine but what about cleaning the OP’s carpet?

😁

lunge

Many years ago someone in my house managed to get chain oil on a brand new cream carpet.

A user here who was a carpet fitter (I think it was the sadly missed Trout) suggested WD40. He also suggested you also give the door hinges a spray so that you can tell anyone else in the house that the reason it smells of WD40 is that you were fixing a squeaky door.

I can confirm it worked a treat on both accounts.

blokeuptheroad

In a former life me, Mrs bloke and the little blokelets used to live in army married quarters.  When vacating your quarter there was an inspection called a ‘march out’ by the ‘estate warden’ – usually an officious jobsworth wearing white gloves whose mission was was to discover and bill you for as much damage as possible.  As a result, there were all sorts of dodges and folklore shared around to cover up marks and damage.  The carpet shaving ruse is one I’ve used to good effect.

It backfires though when you ‘march in’ to a new place only to discover over the first few weeks, the bodges the previous occupant used to evade a damages bill.  In my case this included boot polish to cover marks in the oven and holes in the wall filled with toothpaste.  The best was when we first used a living room light and it started ‘snowing’ soon afterwards. Some enterprising wag had cracked a glass ceiling lamp shade and filled the cracks and a small hole with an icing sugar paste which melted when the bulb got hot! I was both annoyed and full of admiration!

dander

Got a dog? Blame it. 

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Cover whole carpet in chain oil, so it doesn’t stand out. 😉

dyna-ti

Part and parcel of being a bike building cyclist I reckon. Goes with the territory.

I was trying to remove the oil seal out an old pair of bomber forks. Long screwdriver, knee behind the fork/screwdriver to brace it and the seal suddenly pops out, flies across the room and hits the cream coloured curtains,leaving a nice round oil stain thats been there ever since.

mattyfez

Is it a light colour carpet? if it’s just one little spot, and you have some off cuts of the same carpet… a last resort could be to surgically cut out a square with a sturdy craft knife or similar where the spot is, and insert a plug cut from the spare bit, with a bit of glue on the underside.

Ruffle it up a bit once dry, and trim the pile down with some nail scissors if it stands out too much, so it blends in with the rest of the carpet.

But when you say

There is a reasonable about of chain marks on the house carpet.

It’s not sounding very promising for that kind of botch…

Probably time to start planning

A) pricing up new carpets

B) exit strategy

Poopscoop

Some enterprising wag had cracked a glass ceiling lamp shade and filled the cracks and a small hole with an icing sugar paste which melted when the bulb got hot! I was both annoyed and full of admiration!

That’s devious, I love it. 😁

mattyfez

Part and parcel of being a bike building cyclist I reckon. Goes with the territory.

Not really… don’t work on dirty/greasy parts inside the house unless it’s in a utility room/kitchen.

These are principles which every man of every faith can embrace.

These are not polite suggestions. These are codes of behavior, and those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost.

There are varying degrees of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the bounds and cross over into true corruption.

CountZero

I’d definitely go with the WD40/isopropanol/liquid soap, or even just IPA/soap, which has worked on greasy marks on tee shirts before now, and then a proper clean with the next batch of washing. Not that the carpet would go in the washing machine, of course… 😁

hot_fiat

Before rendering the carpet squeak proof with WD40 I’d try baby wipes. Whatever the smeg they put in them will happily remove motorcycle chain oil from all sorts of places.

Cougar

filled the cracks and a small hole with an icing sugar paste

How did you discover what it was? “Oh, that’s weird… I wonder what it tastes like?”

baby wipes. Whatever the smeg they put in them will happily remove motorcycle chain oil from all sorts of places.

Dude, what the hell are you doing with your baby?

funkmasterp

Got a rug you can cover it with? Or move the furniture about?

This is the correct answer and the solution to any stain related issues.

blokeuptheroad

Is anyone else concerned that there’s been no word from @Killer since he first posted? Will he be discovered strangled with a bike chain lying in a pool of baby oil and WD-40? 

MoreCashThanDash

Firstly it would be best to avoid placing any blame on what has occurred. lets just say we don’t know how or why it happened and we will all move on to find the best strategy moving forward.

You are Matt Hancocks script writer and I claim my five pounds!

ransos
    Free Member

Elbow Grease got chain oil marks off my car seats.

fasthaggis

Will he be discovered strangled with a bike chain lying in a pool of baby oil and WD-40? 

Thanks,I was struggling on the intro to my first novel. 😆

timba
    Free Member

The correct answer is moths.

Open the microwave door in a darkened kitchen to entice them in. Hack the stain out and the evidence for the defence m’lud is already remanded in custody.

Be ready with a Darwinian theory for the evolution of moths that eat polypropylene. Simples

mert
    Free Member

WD40 can stain (very) light carpets.
    But what sort of lunatic has carpets that light coloured! (My step mum, that’s who.)

Brake cleaner is the stain remover of choice in my place, roof liners, carpets, clothes, i even used it to de-creosote the arm of a jumper that got covered. (The washing machine *might* have managed, but i didn’t want a creosotey jumper in there!)

Kitchen towel or a clean rag can be pressed into service to blot/wipe up the worst of it once the brake cleaner is working it’s magic.

matt_outandabout

The real question is if this is a double negative post and @Killer is actually the victims forum members other half….

Baby oil has worked for me in the past.

That’s a slippery slope into some double entendres and gags we just don’t need around here.

nwgiles

Suggest a European look and remove carpet and tile?

much easier to clean

TheFlyingOx

1. Get a glass and a sharp knife, e.g. Stanley knife.
    2. Move a piece of furniture to expose fresh carpet.
    3. Place rim of glass on fresh carpet and cut out a circle.
    4. Do the same over the oil mark.
    5. Swap the circles and move the furniture back
    6. Have a nice glass of red wine to celebrate.

blokeuptheroad

^^

There is a reasonable about of chain marks on the house carpet

Place rim of glass bin lid on fresh carpet and cut out a circle.

FIFY

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.