• This topic has 21 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by faaz.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Chain device for pressfit BB – No ISCG mounts????????????
  • michaelbowden

Hi

Does anyone know if there’s such a thing???

Ta in advance

Mike

cookeaa

Is a seat tube clamp mounted one an option at all?

100mphplus
    Free Member

Superstar do a seat tube mounted top guide but I think you’re bolloxed for a bottom roller without going into ‘bodge county’!

michaelbowden

2011 Stumpy FSR so no seat tube and direct mount front mech. It’s a bottom roller I want, the front mech sorts the top out OK. I pretty much thought I might have to move in to bodge county.

I had wondered about the SS one and machine out the inner to 42 MM

cookeaa

Could you go with a Chainstay mounted roller or Jockey wheel?

Spesh have started doing this on some of their 2012 models apparently, it’s basically a DCD by another name…

rondo101
    Free Member

Depending on your cable routing, Bionicon do a chainstay mounted one too.

http://www.bionicon.com/ac/c-guide-v02

IamSam
    Free Member

Specialized have there own chain stay mounted one coming out next year

ruscle
    Free Member

This is the beauty of all these new standards coming down from road bikes which aren’t needed!!

michaelbowden

And I’ve just seen on the Spesh website that the 2012 bikes have ISCG05!!!

perthmtb
    Free Member

Sorry to ask what may be a dumb question, but what’s the purpose of a lower chain device on a twin chainring setup, like the picture above?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It helps keep the chain on.

perthmtb
    Free Member

So if the chain on my 2×9 setup doesn’t come off – there’s no advantage in having one?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Great – crosses chain device off the CRC wishlist…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It only adds weight and they can be noisey. If your front mech is setup nicely and your chain short enough, you should be ok.

perthmtb
    Free Member

When does the chain fall off? When changing down to the granny, or just when going down a teeth rattling descent? I used to have the chain overshoot the granny as I changed down occasionally, but replaced my triple FD with a double specific one and haven’t had it happen since.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

When it gets bumpy and you’re trying to pedal over bumps or back pedal (mainly when dhing) The chain missing the granny gear would just be a badly setup front mech I guess.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I could see that backpeddaling would do it when the chain is flapping all over the place on a bumpy descent – but why would you do that?

warpcow
    Free Member

I was in a Spec. Concept Store the other week and ‘the Dangler’ came up. Apparently they’re not even designed to fit this year’s models. The mechanic reckoned it could be easily modified from what he’d seen though.

rondo101
    Free Member

When does the chain fall off? when going down a teeth rattling descent?

I run 2×9 & have shortened the chain, but found when I was quickly descending rocky trails in the 11t cog at the rear, the chain would sometimes jump from middle to granny. Chain devices really don’t weigh that much & it has the added advantage of stopping the noise from chainslap.

Out of interest, would the extra tension in the chain help reduce the prospect of chainsuck?

cookeaa

I recently ditched the lower roller from my 2×8 HT, kept the chain sensibly short and retained the bash ring, thus far no real changes the chain stays on just fine, the next step however is probably to remove the bash as well I think, this will introduce a greater the risk of the chain heading off the top of the ring more than the bottom but the weight saving is not insignificant so it’s probably worth trying it….

I think if I was going to a 1xN setup I’d probably want the security of a both a top and bottom retainer of some sort, but for a 2xN setup I don’t think it’s actually as critical, a suitably sized bash ring seems to help stop the chain riding off the top (But obviously adds some mass) and having the chain bounce on to the granny isn’t as much of a problem as having it bounce off all together…

As for simply Not Back-pedaling, in my view you should be able to do it, it’s not “incorrect technique” its setting your pedals for whatever corner/obstical you are approaching, can’t see why anyone would accept not being able to back pedal other than if they were on a fixie…

faaz
    Free Member

I have created mine out of a hoseclip and a beehive one:

Not the best picture but basically I got a timber bracket (1mm thin bit of aluminium with two holes on each end) and bent that so it was a bit like a trapezium. Then slotted this between the hose clip (which has rubber so as not to damage the frame). Then I tigtened the hose clip. I then put a long bolt through the existing chain device (originally a BB mounted one) and a few bolts, fixed it all together.

It stays in place nicely but has good flex so it keeps the chain on but will happily flex and move to adjust to the chain movement which is great.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Chain device for pressfit BB – No ISCG mounts????????????’ is closed to new replies.