Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Car Buffs… Guess the car noise/problem…?
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

Hi All,

1.4TDCI Fiesta 52 Reg, 90k

Still have a strange intermittent noise coming from the front drivers side of the car, it seems to happen on full lock and when pulling off from junctions.

It feels like something is loose, disconnects then sits back in position (hard to explain!) also slight droning noise when turning right.

Two new front bearings (both sides) have been replaced in the last 2 months as there was a droning sound and this has been sorted. The drivers side bearing seemed ok but was changed.

CV joints have been checked and are fine

Steering rack is fine (replaced about 18months ago)

Suspension/struts etc checked seems fine, as in no visible leaks or loose bits.

Engine mounts were apparently checked.

Any ideas?

mattmbk
    Free Member

Does the offside driveshaft have a support bearing? Located half way down the length of the driveshaft. Gives the same drone noise as a wheel bearing. If you have a vibration could be an inner tripod joint problem.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers,

dont know about the ‘support bearing’ will take a look.

there is no vibration whatsoever, the steering is spot on and no uneven tyre wear…..

will
    Free Member

Wheel bearing?

globalti
    Free Member

Is it your wife droning?

stgeorge

CV Joint probably.

(How did they “check” them?)

monkey_boy
    Free Member

CV Joint probably.

(How did they “check” them?)

hes a mate of a mate (yeah i know) but he is trusted and said they were checked.

klumpy
    Free Member

Happens at full lock at very low speed == power steering something or other, and not necessarily bad. But maybe.

Will it do it at a standstill?

globalti
    Free Member

Buy a Land Rover. The official land Rover doctrine on transmission noise (and Land Rovers do have a lot of transmission) goes:

“Continue driving the vehicle until the noise becomes unbearable for the operator. At this point, consider an overhaul.”

hora
    Free Member

Steering rack- have you checked the fluid level?

They can fail anytime from <1yr to 12yrs etc.

meehaja
    Free Member

I’m going for a bushing on the part of the suspension, given that it feels like it “disconnects then sits back in position” probably a worn or perished bush.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers all,

the steering rack was shot to **** at about 50k miles as it run totally dry beofore the wife finally came clean and said “the steering is making noises”

new rack has been fitted and i check the level every week and it has never dropped or needed topping up.

Will it do it at a standstill?

good questions, i’ll check

hrcmonty
    Free Member

Anti roll bar links make a knocking noise, Either at certain points of wheel angle, or when it certain types of bumps which give the disconnecting type of thud.

There not easy to ‘Check’ either. Cheap enough to replace.

Hmmmmm but that won’t give a dronning noise!

Hard to say without hearing it. Failing that check your boot, and make sure no ones tied up in the back.

Sounds travel along the chassis so it could be someone knocking to get out!

Klunk
    Free Member

CV joint

molgrips
    Free Member

Droning noise could be something else…. causing you to listen harder and notice the clunk. Or vice versa…

Taff
    Free Member

I had the similar issue on the 306 and it was the droplinks but as said above CV joint is the usual suspect.

dawson

I think you need to order a minimum of 20 or just order a tube of material and cut some strips off – you could get a car printed on it I spose

Sorry, wrong thread 😉

stumpy01

Anti roll bar bushes?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Car Buffs… Guess the car noise/problem…?’ is closed to new replies.